• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

golden bug questline help.

Good, I have now installed the latest beta3 etc etc. The GoldBug is still enabled, but it's not so important.
I'm pretty sure it isn't. I've got this line in the installer:
Code:
  Rename $INSTDIR\PROGRAM\Storyline\GoldBug\StartStoryline.c             $INSTDIR\PROGRAM\Storyline\GoldBug\StartStoryline_off.c
Did you use the latest installer though?

Edit: Oops, looks like the StartStoryline.c file slipped back in the update files.
Then after the extracting, it will rename it to StartStoryline_off.c . But that probably doesn't work if that file already exists.
New idea: Have the _off.c file included in the download and have the installer DELETE the regular one. That'll work! :whipa

Last edited:
I also have a question. (I'm trying even the unfinished storyline, good work, bro.) I'm stuck at village, the fort needs password and all doors are closed. Where should I go?

I also have a question. (I'm trying even the unfinished storyline, good work, bro.) I'm stuck at village, the fort needs password and all doors are closed. Where should I go?

The quest book gives you a clue to the password you need to select in the dialog:

Raven - name of a story by Edgar Allen Poe

:read

Thanks, but the problem is that there are no choices in the dialog. And what with the paper, all houses are closed.

Thanks, but the problem is that there are no choices in the dialog. And what with the paper, all houses are closed.

Not sure what you mean by "the paper" - (1) are you doing the part as the servant where you get paper then return to Legrand.

or (2) are you Legrand and are looking for Leutenant G in the Fort

If (2) then

Does you quest book just have just 1 header - The Message - with 3 entries - if yes then the following is what you should do to get into the Fort ( password as in Spoiler above )

As you approach the fort the soldier on the right should turn and talk to you ( may have to talk to him - he has the options in the dialog ) the soldier on the left just has ordinary dialog.

SAVE before you approach the soldiers :yes - if you choose the wrong option - no 2nd chance if you choose wrong dialog option - the soldier on the left's dialog turns into ordinary soldier dialog.

You can talk to the soldier on the right then the soldier on the left and get the dialog OK. :yes

I hope this is clear.

:cheers

I mean that I'm playing as that negro and have to buy paper and get the bug back from fort.

I mean that I'm playing as that negro and have to buy paper and get the bug back from fort.
Trade the Fish for a bottle of Cognac at the restaurant. :rumgone
Empty bottle in the kitchen, cognac from the big barrel in the restaurant.
Trade that bottle at the store... etc

I hope you know this is very unfinished.;)

Trade the Fish for a bottle of Cognac at the restaurant. :rumgone
Empty bottle in the kitchen, cognac from the big barrel in the restaurant.
Trade that bottle at the store... etc

I hope you know this is very unfinished.;)

Also to get the bug back from Lt. G

Lt. G is downstairs in the Resturant - talk to him to get Gold Bug back. ;)

1. I know it's unfinished, but the author of this thread went even further.
2. I can't take any fish cause when I try to take it from food "cave", it goes back.
3. All doors except the entrance gate in the village are closed.
4. Soldier wants password, but hasn't any options.
5. I'm playing as servant.
6. Remember that I'm the author of most topics in Woodes Rogers forum section? I fear that it could repeat.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
2 I can't take any fish cause when I try to take it from food "cave", it goes back.
The small fish (together with the bread) do yes. But it's the Big Fish you should pick up.

6. Remember that I'm the author of most topics in Woodes Rogers forum section? I fear that it could repeat.:rolleyes:
Don't fear - keep on asking questions. It's always good for me to know if it isn't clear enough. :yes

1 Have you as Legrand placed the blue plate on the cauldron and the parchment on top of that
2 Lit the fire and pushed the air peadal for max heat
3 Closed the damper so the fire is off and picked up the parchment
4 Walked downstairs to the cave and met Jupiter there
5 Switched (automatically) to Jupiter
6 NOW you should be able to pick up the Big Fish
I just tried and it works. :confused:

You were right, just loading an earlier save helped, thanks. And now I can't find that last piece of wood, I took 3 pieces from first shore, 3 from second and 2 from that one with shipwreck.

There should be 4 pieces on the first shore :yes

1 - in front of you as you go onto the beach
2 - then turn right - piece among the rocks
3 - half way along the beach - at the back by the fallen tree
4 - half way along the beach - clearly visable.

Thank you, I've found it, but now that Excel file.:facepalm
Yes, fjx plays the storyline that requires constant thinking, so advisors brigade has to be on duty:rofl (thank you all very much :onya)
P.S. Jack Rackham, have you thought that not everyone have MS Office? (Luckily I do, but my grade from practising Excel wasn't the best, so I open your file and "What is this?!", it's black magic for me like we say in Poland.)

Last edited:
have you thought that not everyone have MS Office?
No I hav'nt. Hmm. :shrug

The Excel file
1 It's under work. What you see is the situation when the crypto is finally solved.
2 The red letters are the coded message from the parchment. The black ones the solved, clear text
which starts: a good glass in the bishops.....
3 If you delete what's in boxes B1 - B10 and J1 - J10 you get the proper start situation.
4 Type in e in B9 you get e:s everywhere a red 8 appears in the code below.
Also a message. (You're on the right way here)

This is how it's supposed to work. You'll get hints from characters you talk to.

It's Poe's cryptogram from the beginning. But there will be help from characters.
You don't have to do ALL yourself.

I don't want to make it to hard - players will loose interest then. :modding
And too easy makes it uniteresting.
There is still a lot of finetuning to do...

Well, consider me interested; I'm really looking forward to playing it. The parts I have seen were pretty brilliant.

Out of curiosity: Will there be any sailing in your storyline or does it all take place ashore near Charleston?

On the subject of that town, we had been considering adding towns outside the worldmap by adding teleportation arrows.
Perhaps we can try that for Charleston? Then we could "promote" it to being a real town like we did for Cartagena.

No real sailing so far - more a teleport from Sullivan Island to Charleston port and back.
Saling would of course be better... :sail

There is already a Charlestown in the game. I didn't want to interfere with that one
(and also wanted to add some completely new locations) so I don't know?

Maybe it's nice with some unique storyline locations too?

Back