• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release GOF - EXTENDED Music MOD (v1.0)

TheBlackKnight

Corsaire Flibustier
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
All,

The Black Knight is proud to present the GOF / GOF Eras - EXTENDED Music Mod v1.0!

This mod adds a SIGNIFICANT amount of additional music (over 400+ total songs) to the base CoAS game but still keeping with the game theme and eras period.
This is a BIG MOD with a download size over 1 GB.

Background:

Several years ago, there were several music mods that were available as alternatives to the base game.
Some were lost when the FTP changed, but I still had backup copies.
Taking the absolute best of the all soundtracks, I incorporated them into my game quite a while ago, using MK GOF Eras mod as the baseline start.
Now, I will share my work with everyone.

Music Sources:

1) ModernKnight1's Eras Mod
2) Skies of Arcadia (very few select pieces)
3) Master and Commander
4) Cuthroat Island
5) Pirates of the Carribbean Movie Trilogy
6) Assassin's Creed IV - Black Flag
7) Horatio Hornblower
8) Skip Henderson
9) Bone Island Bucanneers

And many others....

There are over 50 sea shanties alone that play in the taverns!

All music files have been properly formated for immediate use (type, size, and recording quality).

All music files were placed in instance appropriate locations (different nations, jungle, taverns, battle, sea sailing, etc) in the music_alias.ini.

Any songs that were "out of place" in rythym and tempo based or game actions were removed from play (such the Disney Yo Ho Ho - Pirates Life for Me and Pirate I was Meant to Be )

Music_alias.ini file is included in the mod for quick installation.

Installation instructions:

1) Prepare for backup! Store your music directory and music_alias.ini files
2) Extract all files to a separate directory
3) Copy all music files to resource/sounds/music (overwrite as necessary)
4) Copy music_alias.ini to resource/ini/aliases
5) Enjoy the game!

Its unlikely now you will hear the same song twice for a while now.

From the blood pumping chase scene of the HMS Interceptor from Pirates of Caribbean - Curse of the Black Pearl (Hans Zimmer), the toe tapping Hornpipe jig (Skip Henderson), to the instrumental fanfare of the main them of AC IV - Black Flag (Brian Tyler), all the songs are great to hear in game.

A sample of the music included in this mod is available for download below.

Main Download Link:

The Black Knight's CoAS Mods Dropbox - 5 EXTENDED Music MOD v1.0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9hgkt5o5mk1bwwe/UBQZhrQrs7

Download Size: 1.25 GB

Extracted Size: 1.29 GB

Cheers to the Captain!

The_Black_Knight

Attachments

• GOF Eras - EXTENDED Music MOD Sample.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 382
Last edited:
Have you considered putting all of your mods in one centralized location? Leaving them here on the forum means that they will soon be buried and lost.

At the top of the forum page is a downloads section. You could put all your stuff somewhere and then put a link there so it would never get lost. If needed I have a Dropbox there that is currently mostly empty that you could use.

Have you considered putting all of your mods in one centralized location? Leaving them here on the forum means that they will soon be buried and lost.

At the top of the forum page is a downloads section. You could put all your stuff somewhere and then put a link there so it would never get lost. If needed I have a Dropbox there that is currently mostly empty that you could use.

Hylie,

I have Dropbox and Mediafire accounts for just this purpose that I use to upload large files, such as this mod.
However, I just need someone to add a link in the downloads section, and we would be all set.

Post the link and the name you want it to have, and I can add this to the Downloads section for you. :onya
This would be better than using the PotC thread.

Armada,

LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9hgkt5o5mk1bwwe/UBQZhrQrs7

NAME: The Black Knight's Mods

All currently posted mods are already uploaded on site.
I have a number of other significant "mini mods" that I use that have not been reproduced elsewhere, including additional upgraded GUI functionality.
As I have time, I will post and upload accordingly.
I will relink the completed posts, so all the listed mods go through my dropbox.

Last edited:

Armada,

Looks good, works great.
May there be many joyful CoAS gamers in the future, and many futures mods to come.

I am nearing completion for the HD Inventory and Items, as I have completed about 85 so far.
I keep updating the post, as I complete significant milestones.

I may turn my talents (with the right tools) to volunteer for Hearts of Oak GUI work, once I finish some other stuff.

There is just so much that needs to be "repaired" to modern standards its really overwhelming.
I can understand where MK is coming from with his mod.
Bug fixes for GOF Eras should remain the priority, but I know he is adding features including a new town, characters, and ships.
He should really take me up on my offer to help, particularly with bug fixes, as I have corrected most of the major quest problems again at this point except the CoAS storm, which I cannot isolate.

I have run into sound problems in ERAS with this sound mod. Normally it works great but there are some places where things go sour.

The rain sound cuts out sometimes and when it stops raining the sound continues.

I got into a battle where there were no cannon sounds at all. That irritated me so much I restarted the game. It turned out I had to reboot to get the sound working again.

During all this the music played perfectly.

I have run into sound problems in ERAS with this sound mod. Normally it works great but there are some places where things go sour.

The rain sound cuts out sometimes and when it stops raining the sound continues.

I got into a battle where there were no cannon sounds at all. That irritated me so much I restarted the game. It turned out I had to reboot to get the sound working again.

During all this the music played perfectly.

Hylie,

Based on my knowledge of the game this is not a result of the MOD, but the way that CoAS handles the sound calls.

This is part of the now infamous "cannon sound glitch" when more than 10 sounds are trying to play simultaneously, which has yet to be successfully fixed in the US version of the game....................EXCEPT for one "magic way" which I have found through testing, which I will describe at the end of this response.

This was the post by Joe Dagger a while back regarding this topic:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/...released-for-every-calibre.21064/#post-461950

Supposedly the German version they were able to upgrade using mp3s for all sounds, versus ogg and wav.
Although this is more efficient in terms of file size, its still not always reliable, its not a codec issue either in my case.

All the music from this mod was imported in the original ogg format for compatibility, which was based on the original code and the old MODs.

OK, now for the "final" solution.

Here is the "magic way" to completely fix the problem, buts its not a pretty solution nor is efficient, and if you don't have a lot of RAM and a fast computer, will eventually lead to crashes.
This solution requires a LOT of file space.

You can convert EACH and EVERY song from ogg to wav format.

This way the program never switches sound formats out of wav, as every other sound is a MS wav sound (voices, cannons, ambient, etc).
All sounds play all the time, period, although if more 10 sounds are playing simultaneously, it may skip the sound call at that specific moment.
This can happen in very large ship battles and forts.

The reason why this works so well over mp3 or ogg files is wav sound files are universal in system computer usage format around the world still used for Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP, unlike mp3 and ogg which can be dependent on codecs installed in your system and your sound drivers and the way that the game using sound files by design.

Prioritization of sounds as coded in this game always goes in the following order:
1) Music
2) Ambient
3) Sounds Effects

HOWEVER, converting each music file properly increases the file size by 10X.
Wav sounds DO NOT compress well.

So, in summary, to completely fix the problem, the music directory ALONE (in my case) went from 1.28 GB to 12.8 GB, which is not optimal by far, and increases the loading in game by the same factor. Granted if you have a lot of fast RAM, you probably will not notice the load time after you play the game of a couple of minutes. If you have a slower computer, this solution will not work well at all.

The game is just too old to be optimized without a complete overhaul, we are pushing the limits of the way it was designed.

Last edited:
Ah. Thanks for the explanation. I will just live with it then.

I have 16gb of ram and a fast cpu but do not know anything about converting sound files.

All,

For those that want EVEN MORE period music, I uploaded another additional selection of music to my Extended Music Mod Dropbox that comes from the "no Official DLC" POTEHO Russian MOD.

A sample was also uploaded so you can get an idea of the quality.

This was some REALLY good music that fits GOF Eras.

An updated music_alias.ini is in the noDLC sub-mod folder, namely, music_alias noDLC POTEHO added Extended.ini

This adds another close to 90 music events to the game to the appropriate locations, mostly baroque and bach style music with some quality orchestrated pieces of the Elizabethan Era.

Just download the music zip file, drop the music mp3s into your music folder,and rename the new music_alias.ini and place it your alias folder and you are all set.

NOTE: Not every mp3 was used for the updated music_alias.ini, as some pieces just did not fit the theme.

Last edited:
All,

I added SIX more ditties to the drop box for those than cannot get enough music.
These songs are the extracted baroque dance songs from Sid Meier's Pirates! release back in 2006.

The songs complement governor visits if you wish to add them to your game and still meet the GOF Eras theme intention.

You can find them in the sub-folder in the EXTENDED music mod under Sid Meier's Pirates! dance songs.
All in *.ogg format if you wish to download and install.

I've got 3 folders:
- GOF Eras - Extended Music MOD Sample
- noDLC - Poetho Music
- Sid Meier Pirates! Dance Songs

Which one should I install and how excatly do this?
I installed all your mods Black Knight but I don't know how to install these sounds.

I only installed the 1st one but it looks like the installation instructions are in the post where the file is located.

Back