• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Getting stuck if you were killed in slave camp or some other pirate settlements

smrtwhkd

Master Mariner
At the initial slave camp for the crew rescue mission, if you get killed then you are stuck. You cannot load or anything. The message says you need wait until some Sir to disappear before you can load. Of course the guy never appears. The game is basically stuck there and you cannot do anything but tab out and shut it down.

That is because of the way the resurrection code works. First it works out where your ship is, or if you don't have a ship, where you are. Then it works out the town associated with that location, based on the location's "townsack" attribute if it exists, otherwise a town on the same island. The problem is that the slave camp is a reworking of a location called "Smugglers_Fort", which has the "townsack" attribute pointing back to itself. So it now tries to work out the tavern girl for that town, who doesn't exist because there is no tavern, and gets stuck.

The story already disables resurrection while you're in prison - you can't escape by getting killed and resurrecting in Havana tavern! As of next version, resurrection will also be disabled in the slave camp to prevent this problem.

@Bartolomeu o Portugues: the "Assassin" storyline probably needs resurrection disabled during the Dutch attack on the village which starts the "Oranjestad Siege" part of the story, for the same reason.

@roger. Btw, it is not just the slave camp. The same thing happens in some other pirate towns as well. Such as the one on Isla Mona near the light house. So please check all of the pirate towns for the next patch.

I can understand why Isla Mona might cause problems, so I'll disable resurrection for the whole "Battle of Isla Mona" part. (@Bartolomeu o Portugues, you might want to disable resurrection for the "Cannons of Mona" part of "Assassin" as well.)

@smrtwhkd: which other pirate towns cause the problem? I can disable resurrection in the storyline, but if other pirate towns are causing trouble then it won't be limited to "Ardent".

I don't quite remember which one. Maybe the smuggler's lair on La Grenada. But will test around and let u know.

Smugglers Lair may very well fail because although it has a tavern, in which there is a tavern girl, she's not listed in "initTowns.c" so Smugglers Lair doesn't know who is supposed to be resurrecting you.

Smugglers Lair may very well fail because although it has a tavern, in which there is a tavern girl, she's not listed in "initTowns.c" so Smugglers Lair doesn't know who is supposed to be resurrecting you.
Possible to add her...?

That is precisely what I have done, then confirmed that it works by changing the survival setting in the "Options" menu to always resurrect, then going to Smugglers Lair and getting myself killed.

Without the fix, the game does indeed get stuck. With the fix, I resurrected to Sao Jorge. Odd, that. The resurrection code first works out where you are, then works out which town on the island has the best relation to you, then sends you to that town's tavern. So why, if it sends me to Sao Jorge, did it foul up because Smugglers Lair didn't have a registered resurrector? Anyway, for whatever reason, it does work after I'd added "Smugglers_officiant" to the definition for "Smugglers Lair" and added the relevant attributes to "Smugglers_officiant".

Back