• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Gentlemen of Fortune: ERAS2 2.6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no point in posting bug reports about Eras here on our forum though.
Much more useful to send any of those to @ChezJfrey.
Don't worry, @A.H; we don't mind. :doff

Since I'm a loyal Pirates Ahoy community member for a little while now [..]

So you admit you are biased towards an opinion out of your own beliefs. Thats ok, but try then not come across like someone who views things objectively.

[..] I think it is best I give support for reporting bugs and such to games belonging to this community only, out of respect to the people here [..]

last time I checked the only games "belonging" to this "community" is the unfinished product called "hearts of oak". All the other products that you are referring to are nothing more than "overhaul modifications", its not like those were coded from scratch.
And reporting bugs is regardless of your "respect" or "leniency" a very vital part to any modification development progress. So by only complaining without actually contributing with proper logs or reports, your not helping yourself, despite where your standpoint might be regarding both "communities".

[..] and to avoid any hard feelings by giving support to a game developed by persons that broke away from this awesome community. [..]

uuuh you do realize MK tried to buy this site to continue to put out his modifications without having to put up with moderation issues?

Since the owner did not want to sell this site, he ultimately turned to create his own isle where he could continue to work on his modifications. And all those who are enjoying the newer title of COAS usually turn to that site. Those who like nostalgia and/or other non related COAS stuff can still enjoy PA!. MK didnt have a choice, and Im glad he did not stop working on his mod. Can we at least aknowledge the breakthroughs here instead of always continuing on with that silly feud. Its not helping this community and it only makes the Reef community more knit together.

one can always be part of two communities and still enjoy the benefits of both, no need to do a seperation as if it was a zealous kind of crusade.

You can go all Deus Vult! on the new Eras mod but after the day is dont its still the best new thing we have been gifted for Q1 of 2017. Enjoy and if you have problems feel free to leave an error report of some kind, here or there, either way it will be helpful for the development progress and troubleshooting.

So far I had no problems playing the newest version and yes, I am biased towards being pro-reef, but I still thought I should make myself clear in a way to deescalate the topics that are being brought up.

jealous_husband_hi.jpg

We will not drag out tired and old arguments yet again. They must be left where they belong: In a dark and distant past.
The PiratesAhoy! Staff has zero interest in any further pointless strife and we refuse to take any part in any attempts to continue this.
This thread has been very civil until now, despite the potentially volatile subject matter. Let's keep it that way!

Yea let's not get into an argument.

To look on the bright side, I'm writing a novel about a Spanish slaver who travels back to his ancestral homeland of Spain in the 1600's, only to be boarded and captured by Barbary corsairs. I'm 20% complete, and heck I need a good publisher with some connections to get it published!

Sounds interesting, @A.H!
You'll be quite welcome to start a new thread for that when you want to. :doff

Hah thanks sir.
But wouldn't that risk exposure of the novel content which might lead to theft of ideas? :oops:

Hah thanks sir.
But wouldn't that risk exposure of the novel content which might lead to theft of ideas? :oops:
That depends on when you start the thread and what you put in it! :rofl

You can wait until you're done, of course. All up to you. :doff

A lot of independent writers are publishing electronically. Make it available for 99 cents on Amazon for the Kindle.

Reactions: A.H
Yea I am making it a fictional novel with real characters involved; but some of them may be from earlier dates. ie a conquistador from early 1500s is existing in the 1600's story I'm telling.
Apart from that and the main character involved (with the entire life story), that's about the only fiction involved.
So in the case that I need help in finding a name of a character that 'did this' or did that in that certain time period, then I could ask people here, maybe I'd get some ideas on different characters to use.

As for Amazon kindle it is good idea too

I don't know about you, but at my age I can't read normal print books. I either use enlarged text on the Kindle, or more often read it on my Kindle proggy on my computer screen. I haven't read a paper book in ages. :)

And no, glasses don't help.

Amazon Kindle isn't the only route, but you'll get a lot of people seeing your title there.

Since I'm a loyal Pirates Ahoy community member for a little while now, I think it is best I give support for reporting bugs and such to games belonging to this community only, out of respect to the people here, and to avoid any hard feelings by giving support to a game developed by persons that broke away from this awesome community.
No offense though, hope you can understand Chez.

No offense taken, but I must say, I don't understand, however.

I thought I was part of the Pirates Ahoy community; see me interacting here in this thread?

That set of executables you have...the one's using DirectX 9, and the other set using the original DirectX 8, they can also play POTC, New Horizon's (except for the one bit of the flag logic that I have already built into the capabilities of the back end, but still working on the Program script changes needed to ultimately achieve the same effects -- this was already implemented for those pennants you see in ERAS), Caribbean Tales, AoP, GOF 1.2, 2.0 & 2.5, ERAS). That one set plays them all if you have the Program script adjustments that allow such.

I have not yet released the Program script needed to play them all just yet, but I have them all sitting handy on my PC. I can play them all, with just one start.exe and even put in place the ability to keep all the program, resource files in one game folder and simply tag a shortcut with a startup parameter for what game to play (e.g. -POTC, -NH, -CT, -AOP, -GOF, etc.). It is also Large Address Aware, granting that 32 bit program more memory space if the PC has such capacity.

So when you mention a crash, yet refuse to divulge a crash dump to help me identify and rectify, this prevents the community from a possible benefit, to play any of those games error-free, or from ever receiving the POTC, NH script files that work with this set because I won't release them if I'm worried they don't actually work for most people; I will be the only one I suppose to enjoy that freedom and the updated engine that I've created that I've managed to eliminate the frequent save-game, mast falling crashes, and numerous memory leaks of the original game...these I've fixed for sure as I've put in hours of play and witness it within my own testing. I'm also mulling and reviewing a port to 64 bit; I removed the ASM that prevents this, but there are many other facets and coding practices that preclude that just yet. It compiles, but their reliance on coding practices that always assume 32 bit variable sizes doesn't work and is a daunting task as the violations against 64 bit architecture is prevalent and strewn everywhere throughout the code. It is a sizable undertaking that I've not yet settled on whether I will fully take on just yet.

By submitting crash and problem information to me, I would think this beneficial to the community since I thought I was part of it and might be able to offer POTC and NH in a new format, if given some support to complete the effort. POTC is done and it's 99% there for NH...plays everything but the flags at the moment.

Yea I only buy hardcopy books, never used kindles.
Im a classical fellow!

And Chez, no offense but I only take time in providing bug reports for POTC NH.
Besides it is not an easy task so I can't argue any further on this issue =D

I completely agree with Jeffrey, if no cooperation is done and people are not helpful towards each other, any agendas they may have aside, progression would be obstructed on all fronts. I think what Jeffrey is offering to publish, would be very much appreciated by the POTC:NH fanbase.

All he asks in return is that people not just leech off of published content, but if problems occur, help filter the problem out even if its just a bug report. Stoic mannerism has never benefitted humanity, and as such it wont be of benefit to PA! nor BR.

And the criticism regarding player characters already starting out with bigger ships. This was made to reflect the character represented at their time. One is not bound to be using the given ship at all, simply sell it if you want to start out with a rowing boat. Also Penalty is a real thing and a big bugger if you just think you can sail around with a 4th class rate ship without worries from day 1. I end up spending my first month on land picking barfights until I loot something valuable to start out properly.

I always play locked on hardest difficulty, which is "Impossible".

I consider anything else way to easy, but I have been playing COAS since it came out so I have some kind of routine in it.

Unless I am very much mistaken, it looks like both @Cap'n Elensil and @ChezJfrey are now ganging up on regular member @A.H by writing complete novels worth of arguments.
All of which is completely unnecessary, since the first post on this page *already* set the record straight.
That should have been the end of that discussion right there!

I have no desire to delete any posts or ban any members.
So anyone care to explain to me (in private!!!) why you are still continuing despite being specifically told not to?

Thread locked as it appears that any continued reasonable discussion of Eras is not possible due to deliberate trolling.
@Cap'n Elensil has been banned for having three forum accounts in violation of forum rules.
@splibum has been banned for posting disrecpectful content in violation of forum rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back