• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.1.5 mod development

Capt. Daniel Wolf

Freebooter
Storm Modder
Greetings.

This thread cradles the upcoming public release of the next GOF stable version mod.

Currently all downloads are test version only, for the calm and brave souls, and for testers and developers.

All the credits, salutations, and respect
To the makers of Community Mod, the base of GOF.
Also the Gentlemen Of Fortune 1.x series modders.
And the biggest thank you for the makers of GOF 2.0, and the 13, 14 patches:

Luke159, Harmsway, TheBlackKnight, Joe Dagger, Buho, BobSasZele, Hylie Pistof!

And for Pieter Boelen for the unending support, and being the static foundation of the forum since the stone age.

Patch notes containing new features included in this mod are located here:

http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/COAS/GOF 2/GOF 2 Patch 1.3 Notes.txt
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/COAS/GOF 2/GOF 2 Patch 1.4 Notes.txt
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/COAS/GOF 2/GOF 2 Patch 1.5 Notes.txt

Installation of the GOF 2.0 + 1.5beta mod:

1.: Please, install a clean copy of COAS before downloading.

2.: Please download and install Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.0 to the COAS directory:
(size of the download: 2.28GB - needs additional 8.8gb free space to install.)

http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/COAS/GOF 2/GOF 2.0 Full Release.exe

(You DO need to have 7zip installed to use this exe, as it's a 7zip self installer. You can get 7zip from here:
7-Zip Its a safe zip archiver.)

3.: After COAS + GOF 2.0 installed, you can download the 1.5b full patch.
(size of the download: 382mb - needs additional 950mb free space to install.)

Comes as a windows installer exe, don't need any additional archiver program.
This patch includes the 1.3, and 1.4b patch alltogether with the small 1.5 fixes.

http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/COAS/GOF 2/GOF2 full 1.3+1.4b+1.5b patch.exe

Disclamier:
Be aware, that the 15b patch are currently in development, and testing phase!
it -will not break- your system, but please use lots of savegames, and support us by posting any
bad behaviour of the game here, or post any questions you need answers for. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
:D They are still firing, but both the captured ship, and yours became immune for some seconds after the boarding :D so it's just graphical. No hull, sails, or crew is touched.

Had to make a loop wich sets each your companions commandeering a ship to god mode XD including you for some seconds. Luckily I found out from a stock file how to reach the companions ID's.

Sadly ^^ this immunity only lasts until the broadside is finished :) :p I had to confiscate it after :)

I downloaded and installed your mod onto my working GOF2 install, and have been playing it, starting a new game.

So far all is normal and is going well except that the mod options do not work well at all. But they never have.

Mod options tend to reset... XDD the only way they work is starting a new game, THEN modify them, then save. And after that the saved content saves the mod options also.
I forgot to mention this at the gameplay

Edit: Im talking about the ingame menu for it, I don't tried modifying the mod_on_off file as I wasn't sure how mutch they changed the options system since the CM 1.5 what I played years ago.

Edit2: I was deceiving, if you load up a savegame, modify the options, then save, then your new save SHOULD keep the configuration also, not just a new game.

Edit3: Some good news I also forgot is that it seems if you run GOF 2.x in fullscreen off, but at the desktop's resolution, (false fullscreen) then on the 90% of the times you can alt-tab.

Sometimes it still crashes, but apart from this the whole thing only crashed 1 or 2 times in 4 days gameplay, with HELL heavy OpenGL slowdown, forced antialias, and ENB effects active.

Last edited:
A small side info is if someone have 1.3 -succesfully- installed over 2.0, or 1.4b installed over 2.0 AND 1.3,
-And does not modified any files, or do not use any other mods, then the 1.5b complete patch should also work, installed on top of these, as it has that content inside.

:D They are still firing, but both the captured ship, and yours became immune for some seconds after the boarding :D so it's just graphical. No hull, sails, or crew is touched.

Hey that works. I understand the cannons have to finish their firing cycle, it just never seemed fair to loose a few more crew AFTER the capture.

Also…

the mod options do not work well at all. But they never have.

How so Hylie? In my game using GOF2 beta 1.4, all mod options seem to work fine. Have I been fooled?

I set the mod options and then play the game for a while. Then go check them and they are mostly back where they were before. So I reset them and try again and they reset themselves. For instance I have never had the minimap (radar), but after 3 tries I now do have long distance encounters.

The only way is to load a savegame, or start a new game, then there set the mod options, save again, and from that save they are set. Otherwise they going to be reset every time. But this way I managed to make them stick- so it seems that they have to be saved.

Yes. I can not remember ever having the radar. There might be other things that do or do not work, but I have not played enough to know what they are supposed to look like. For instance I can not tel the difference between the settings for the spyglass, but that just be because I have a bad one.

Few things….

I did a fresh install last night of everything and that went smooth. The 1.5 installer worked great! :yes

Only got to play a couple of hours, but I still can't reproduce the mod options reset problem. I set my mod options once, and it just stayed.

Lastly, the code I did to increase the player fleet size to 8 in 1.4 is broken under 1.5. Once I captured the 7th ship I got an error code on the screen (the message didn't stay on the screen long enough for me to read it) and that ship was never added to my fleet. I'll get it figured out in the next few days and report back.

Ignore what I said about a ship not being added to my fleet. That was my mistake. :oops:

The error I got was at the end of a "Pirate's Proposal" mission against 5 Dutch ships. As soon as we split the plunder and I chose "You split flawlessly", I got the following message:

ERROR: Incorrect index for a character: Wrong index is -1

Could that be part of the new "Fixed captains stop talking to you"?

Error.jpg

Yes. I can not remember ever having the radar. There might be other things that do or do not work, but I have not played enough to know what they are supposed to look like. For instance I can not tel the difference between the settings for the spyglass, but that just be because I have a bad one.

Hmm. For me, all spyglasses produce the same info: name of the ship, and class. And thats it.
Not more. I think this should be the realistic spyglases thing

Elderlaw:

Can you send me a savegame, that's close to this one? The "start boarding" savegame for example.

I do not think that it has something to do with the changes in that dialog file. But maybe. I do not touched any parts there that using an index. But still, maybe XD have to check it.

Sadly it can very well be part of "cannons do not damage you our your captured ship" instead.
Though I hope so it's not- as that means that sometimes the call for your companions ID's result in a -1 index.... Which is very unlikely, and sad news. But, :D we going to see it.
My only hope is the "Hands down, the ship is ours" message is visible, which means that the setting every companions health to normal function was running as it should.

Does it produced any other errors than the text message? Does this break the quest or the dialog?

Hylie Pistof: I started game now, and checked the Realistic Spyglass option: If I set it to"realistic", and save, the spyglass only shows me the class and name of the ship, (leftmost icon) the setting of the sails, (full, or half) but no speed- and lastly the -distance- of the ship. Compass in place of the radar.

If I set it to "coas default", (I think the name is misleading, as it's anything but coas default...) and save, then the spyglass shows the same information, with the addition of showing the ship's exact speed on top of the sail settings. Compass is still in place instead of the radar. I try to start a new game, we will see.

So currently (trying it while running the game) COAS default only adds the actual speed of the target to the realistic information.

Addition: I have a regular spyglass: It says in the item list "with this you can only see the ship type, and the name". So maybe it's enough that I see the class, the sail setting, the distance, and the actual ship speed in COAS default.

Well, starting a new game do not change things.

So currently with a "regular" spyglass:

Realistic:
ships class and name, Sail setting, target's distance, target's captain. Compass instead of radar.

COAS default:
ships class and name, Sail setting, target's speed in knots, target's distance, target's captain. Compass instead of radar.

It make the options stick for me if I save it with a savegame.

Since all of my modified files was new to the 13+14 bundle, (nothing was overwritten) and I never touched the option's file, I think it's either 2.0 or 13,14 behavior.

In the coming days I'm going to look for a way that they implemented the picture switch for the compass -at all- in the code, or they just overwritten the picture.

Elderlaw, if you can send me a savegame, the closest to that errormessage as it can be, I try to pinpoint this nasty error, and sniff around it :)

Back