• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.0

if i may make a small suggestion about version numbers
i found it very confusing in the past with GOF patches as they were labeled 1.0 and the main mod was 1.2 and such..
why not make the small bug fixing ones 2.0.1, 2.0.2, ..., 2.0.10 and so on while larger content adding patches will be 2.1.0 etc

Ok bud thanks for the suggestion and i will use it from now on.:onya Had some problems making the mod into a exe (tried 3 times and got the same problem each and every time, seeder has no file name). I have no idea what it means by that, and it doesn't give a error log to see where the problem lies either.:mad: But i did manage to rare the mod up (how ever its is much bigger, with many more parts) i will start uploading the parts asap. But expect a long wait and to have downloaded over 12 parts by the end of it all.o_O In the mean time i will continue trying to build a exe which reduces the size a lot and allows for less parts.

Update:
Rather than upload GOF 2.0 as a full mod (at least for now) i will upload the replacement files which will update GOF 1.2 to GOF 2.0. Links will be posted on page 1 when the mod is uploaded.

Link added in first post, thanks to Pieter for the chance to post the full mod for a little while so testing can be done.:onya

oh wow u sure seem to have a lot of trouble with uploads tho its understandable with the 2 GB
can't host it on ModDB? should get a stable base up somewhere so it can be easily accessed by anyone who wants to test it then patches could be uploaded anywhere

so this one now will be an update of GOF1.2 or standalone?

P.S.: Thanks Pieter! :)

Yeah i know, a shame about the FTP soon to be gone but thats how it goes i guess.

Anyway luckily Pieter had a place for it to be uploaded to so thats where it is for at least 1 to 2 months (gives us more than enough time to really test the game stability out). Which is the main focal point for any patches, and all my focus will be on naval battles and making sure that they run smoothly since thats where the main stability problem was with GOF 1.2.

Yep this is a standalone mod, no need for anything other than a fresh install of COAS. Once testing is done and we have a stable version all patches can be combined into the full mod and uploaded to ModDB and then we don't need to worry about the FTP closing down.

The files are located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2" or at least for me they are (my install is outside of the main directory though, so isn't the same as the above directory). You should have 1 of each of the following files when running the game "Compile, error and system"

well this looks damn good so far

tried all the different nation chars and didn't have any crashes this time. also no crashes on game startup
i guess i'll continue with peter blood now and see how well it goes with sea battles

-there's the bug with the speak icon at sea
-sometimes when u pres esc for the menu and click options it just closes the menu instead of going to options. u have to select load or save for it to function normally again. think this was also in GOF 1.2
-saw when u start with some chars u get cargo over the normal limit of the hold. prolly have to sell those
-from reading your patch notes i guess u need to update the Realistic Reloading mod description in the mod menu

Thats good news, i also tried all the nations and have had 5 naval battles so far, ok my character is only rank 3 now and the experience bar is set to the far left for very slow ex gain making it so i reliy more on the officers than my own skills. I also have all the mod options on apart from the no distance one which puts the enemy within fighting distance of yourself so no jumping out of a battle before it starts (normally this is turned on though). And i have turned the spyglass to coas default for the tests (normally this is also set to realistic). Everything is playing out fine, no crashes or texture problems etc.:bounce

Ok i will have to look into that icon, i did notice it in last nights testing that it showed as a island imagie to me, but i was so tired i forgot to check it out before uploading the mod today.

Yep that problem with clicking on options and the menu closing on you was also in GOF 1.2, i think this is something to do with the reinit function because up on till i added that it worked perfectly.

I was thinking of removing the cargo you start with because in the vanilla game you didn't start with those goods which was what made the starting more fun, no money and in need of supplies and money to cover the ships upkeep before you could think about saving for a new calibure of gun or buying a better ship. The only other options are to lower the starting goods or increase the cargoholds on ships a little more (which is something i already did and don't really want to do it again). I thinkif any ship its the War Tartane that will be the main cause for that error anyway because her cargohold is only 250 can be generated a little higher but no where near the size you need for the starting cargo.

I installed GOF 1.2 some time ago but hardly played it. Didn't much like it.

Anyway, I just installed AOP2 and noticed some tages stuff. Do I need to do anything about that before installing GOF 2? I have not touched AOP2 after installing it.

You know I could never understand that since its basically an upgrade from the POTC engine but to each their own I guess..
For example having installed the latest build mod I can say that even with all the enormous extra content it has, I just can't bring myself to do a full play-through with even one character. I did finish POTC mind you back when it came out.. with the few mods available at the time. I dunno; it simply feels "clunky" compared to COAS.

as for tages.. at least 2 ppl here are runnin the game without problems so far :D

Anyway, I just installed AOP2 and noticed some tages stuff. Do I need to do anything about that before installing GOF 2? I have not touched AOP2 after installing it.

Yeah when i first installed COAS i couldn't start the game till i updated the tags, so you will need to update them.

I went back to the thread from when I first installed GOF 1.2 and it seems that tages gets removed when you install all of the mods.

What I didn't like about GOF was the arcade style sailing. After spending years in POTC's realistic mode the arcade sailing jars badly. Then there was the water. Sometimes it was ok and sometimes it was like looking through a kaliedoscope on lsd. The colors were very off.
What I don't like about POTC is the bugs and crashes that will never get fixed. I need a reliable game.

Thats cool, then, i didn't know that. I wish i had because it took me a while to actually get around to installing the tags lol. Well i now know, and that is excellent news.

You could see what you think of this version, ship speeds have been reduced, sea isn't as calm. It has its moments where it can be calm for a little while but for most of the game day your ship will be moving around and you will see waves. Ship turn rates have been reduced etc, if you don't like it then thats ok, but it might be worth trying out for you. As it stands i have not had a single crash yet, but i'm not at the point where in GOF1.2 it would become unstable (hence the reason this is a beta version). This version isn't compatable with GOF 1.2 though, GOF 1.2 modifies some of the files that this version doesn't. So installing this version over GOF 1.2 will cause unknown issue's at some point or other.

The sail upgrade works but the sail textures aren't there, i'm sure i included them though.

I don't think the surrender feature is working because i took a Merchant Brig down from 77 crew to just 5 and she still wouldn't surrender or accept a demand.

Apart from those problems i had no crashes at all and everything worked perfectly, i have captured 14 ships now without problems. I now need to start demasting these ships and making sure they don't cause CTD's like in GOF 1.2.

I wuz wrong. I tried to start GOF 2 and it wanted to install tages. Dunno what to do now.

Hey guys, yesterday I installed AoP2 again after like a year and used GoF 1.2 but it kept crashing to windows...I found GoF 2.0 and since you wrote you're trying to make the game more stable I gave it a shot...well, not much better so far...I noticed that it crashes only on world map...right now it always crashes when I sail into the area south of central Cuba but these "crash areas" differ...It hasn't happedned to me so far that the game crahed while on land or during a naval battle.
The error is always "The engine has stopped working". It is also interresting that these crashes were not so frequent when I played GoF 1.1.2 about a year ago (back then it crashed like once every hour).
I tried compatibility modes and about everything I found here (except for that DEP solution - don't know why but it is inactive and no matter what I do it won't go active).
I play on my laptop (win 7 64bit; ATi Radeon Mobility HD 4200; AMD Turion II P540 Dual-Core Processor; 4GB RAM)
Anyway thaks for the great job you are doing :)

Ok i wil have to sail to there and see what happens, does the game crash as soon as you enter sail mode in that area or as soon as you enter that area on world map?

I played the game continuously for 5 hours without problem and i even paused the game and went out for 2 hours and came back and continued for another 2 hours without problems. I must have minimised the game at least 12 or so times durring the time i was playing and still no problems. So i think stability wise the game is better however i will not be happy on till the game has been tested intensly. Of cause the real crashing started in GOF 1.2 when you was in large naval battles against ships of class 3 or higher, and i'm no where near that point in the game yet. Class 4 ships are now slowly been generated but mostly class 5 and 6 ships is what i see. I have seen a few class 2 ships but they have been in harbours, so that doesn't count.

Back