• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Generic version of "HMS_Interceptor"

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
@Pieter Boelen: any objection to me adding that generic version of "HMS_Interceptor"? The colour scheme makes it suitable for "Napoleonic" and probably "Revolutions", but not earlier, so although I'm planning on allowing it to be encountered and buyable, it won't intrude on "Colonial Powers", the period in which "Jack Sparrow" is set. Sparrow will only see the original "HMS_Interceptor" and anyone else playing in "Colonial Powers" or earlier won't see either version.

@Pieter Boelen: any objection to me adding that generic version of "HMS_Interceptor"? The colour scheme makes it suitable for "Napoleonic" and probably "Revolutions", but not earlier, so although I'm planning on allowing it to be encountered and buyable, it won't intrude on "Colonial Powers", the period in which "Jack Sparrow" is set. Sparrow will only see the original "HMS_Interceptor" and anyone else playing in "Colonial Powers" or earlier won't see either version.
That does make the Interceptor ship model less unique if she can be encountered at random.
But since you made her now, she might as well be in the game too. :doff

The actual Interceptor, with blue colour scheme and nameplate, will still be unique. She'll also still be completely unique in her own time period. I can reduce the probability settings so the generic version doesn't appear very often in the later periods.

Comparing "RN_Brig" to what I'd done for "RN_Interceptor", I felt I'd overdone the light cream a bit, and grey highlights on the hull are acceptable. So:
development3.jpg development4.jpg
The ship now has a waterline! It's a bit squiggly near the rudder - it took me quite a bit of effort to achieve that. Originally the waterline was very squiggly near the rudder due to the layout of the model. I've gone for a copper plate finish rather than white, partly because it works well with the colour scheme but mainly because there are a couple of patches near the beak which take their texture from the lower hull. The copper finish below the waterline looks like a shade of wood on those areas, better than having them in white.

I could put the same copper underside onto "HMS_Interceptor" if you like. ;)

Meanwhile, I've reduced the speed of "RN_Interceptor" slightly, so it is still true that "There's no ship as can match the Interceptor for speed." Well, apart from all the schooner types, that is. xD

Last edited:
I could put the same copper underside onto "HMS_Interceptor" if you like. ;)
Maybe we should check with @Legendary_Spider on that? He did the texture.

Meanwhile, I've reduced the speed of "RN_Interceptor" slightly, so it is still true that "There's no ship as can match the Interceptor for speed." Well, apart from all the schooner types, that is. xD
WAAAAAAA?!?? :shock

"HMS_Interceptor" has speed 14.0 (realistic) or 14.8 (arcade). "RN_Interceptor" now has speed 13.5 (realistic) or 14.5 (arcade), so it's not quite a match for the real thing.

"Schooner1" has speed 14.0 (realistic) or 16.0 (arcade). "SchoonerWar" and "Schooner50" have speed 14.5 (realistic) or 16.3 (arcade). Unlike "RN_Interceptor", those can appear in "Colonial Powers". So Jack Sparrow could be in for a nasty surprise if he thinks he's stolen the fastest ship in the Caribbean. xD

"HMS_Interceptor" has speed 14.0 (realistic) or 14.8 (arcade). "RN_Interceptor" now has speed 13.5 (realistic) or 14.5 (arcade), so it's not quite a match for the real thing.
I thought "HMS_Interceptor" was truly (borderline) the fastest ship that wasn't the Black Pearl?
At the very least within her period? If possible, I'd like to keep that for movie-accuracy.

But of course the common "RN_Interceptor" can be more reasonably tuned. :onya

You can't keep something that wasn't there to start with. ;) The schooners have been faster than "HMS_Interceptor" for ages, at least since Beta 3.

I've been working on a more generic version of "HMS_Interceptor", the results of which can be seen in post #230. The new version has a waterline. As the original "HMS_Interceptor" is your work, would you like a similar being added to that model?

Here's "RN_Interceptor", from the front. And, though it's slightly slower than "HMS_Interceptor", it's faster than the average brig, which will therefore see it from behind.
rn_interceptor_front.jpg rn_interceptor_rear.jpg
The ship can be selected for FreePlay, provided you've set the date to a year in "Revolutions" or "Napoleonic" periods:
rn_interceptor_selection.jpg
But it's not repaint-compatible with "HMS_Interceptor":
rn_interceptor_shipyard.jpg
So if you want to play with the original ship, go and play the "Jack Sparrow" storyline!

You can't see the waterline in those screenshots above. Partly because the sea is flat calm and the waterline doesn't appear, but mainly because the ship sits a lot lower in the water than I expected so the waterline was too far down the hull. That's now corrected. The waterline still doesn't show up if the sea is flat calm like that, but let there be some decent waves and you get to see this:
rn_interceptor_waterline2.jpg

Any idea what this is?
unidentified_interface.jpg

It's in "ShipsBL.tga.tx", alias "SHIPS3" in "pictures.ini". It's in row 5, slot 4, and in "pictures.ini" that is blank. It appears to be something Spanish, presumably not in "Revolutions" or "Napoleonic" periods because it has a sprit topmast. But anything Spanish, or at least anything beginning with "SP_", which I can find in "Ships_init.c" or in "RESOURCE\MODELS\ships", has a properly filled entry elsewhere in "pictures.ini". (The fact that it's shown with a Spanish merchant flag here is irrelevant because whoever took the picture probably started a FreePlay game with a Spanish character, possibly used Cheatmode to get the ship, and didn't bother getting a LoM after the game started. But the fact that it's the Burgundy cross further indicates that this ship is not from the later two periods.)

If it's a ship which was removed from the game then I'm going to use that slot for "US_Interceptor".

Looks like a stock game frigate hull, which have all been replaced with far better versions courtesy of @Armada.
Might have been the old "Super Frigate".

Back