• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide Generating Location Lighting Files (.COL)

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
Back up the original files before trying this. The files are in RESOURCE\MODELS\locations\(selected location)

In order to create lighting .COL files for locations, you need to activate the lighting tool.
This is how to make it work:

1. Open RESOURCE\INI\loclighter.ini and find:
Code:
;Loading Location lighter
loading = 0
Change this to 1

2. For SEA locations, an additional step is needed to enable the location lighter:
Open PROGRAM\SEA_AI\sea.c and find:
Code:
//CreateEntity(&SeaLighter, "lighter");
Replace with:
Code:
CreateEntity(&SeaLighter, "lighter");
(Eg. remove the // in front)

3. Press Numpad 0 to open the lighting tool
4. Adjust the light and shadows by using the sliders. When satisfied, press "save light".
5. Repeat the operation for each time of day (morning, day, evening and night).

You can use these lines in PROGRAM\console.c for this:
Code:
        //    SetCurrentTime(00.00, 0); // NIGHT1.COL
        //    SetCurrentTime(06.00, 0); // EVENING3.COL
        //    SetCurrentTime(12.00, 0); // DAY1.COL
        //    SetCurrentTime(20.00, 0); // MORNING1.COL
Use a line like this to reload your location:
Code:
DoQuestReloadToLocation(pchar.location, "reload", "reload1" ,"_");

The new files will be saved in RESOURCE\MODELS\locations\(selected location) ready for use.

When you've finished, it is probably a good idea to deactivate the console by changing the loading setting back to 0.
Just to avoid accidents while playing your game.

Here is an example of making this work at sea:
RealCartagenaFort.jpg

This is the Isla Muelle island model with a fort that was added from elsewhere, so didn't have lighting files.

Thanks to Damski62 and kopcap for original figuring this out here:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/tools-tutorials-and-information.11380/#post-296326

Of course this is not the topic, but somehow the forum mentioned that these files can be done with the help of Tool... But that's how I can not understand something. Can anyone write a video on this topic?

Of course this is not the topic, but somehow the forum mentioned that these files can be done with the help of Tool... But that's how I can not understand something. Can anyone write a video on this topic?
I've got no clue how to do that; never tried.
All I know is that it worked fine for me using the game engine... :unsure

Back