• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help General Gameplay Questions

Francis Drake is an exception. In reality he gained command of the Revenge, so when you've been promoted high enough, you should receive it as well. But if you're only Acting Lieutenant then you have some way to go before that happens. ;)

And after the Revenge there is no other ship he gets from England, right?

Allright. One more question: In which time periods is it possible to sail with 1th rate class ships? I guess in every except of the early explorer period?

Allright. One more question: In which time periods is it possible to sail with 1th rate class ships? I guess in every except of the early explorer period?
Easiest way to find out: Set ENABLE_CHEATMODE to 1, then use the Select Storyline ship selection filters.

You can also use the filtering on this page: PotC - Ship Data Extraction Tool

That indeed confirmed they are in every period, except Early Explorers.
Though Spanish Main does still only have the Soleil Royal and San Felipe, which is just two types for two nations.
As per Golden Age of Piracy, there are substantially more.

A Turkish friend of mine visited me today at work. He saw me playing PotC:NH. And said, that you write Kilij actually with a "c": Kilic. But he guessed that it's written with "j" because of a better pronounciation. Is he right?
And he wants to know why you added the Kilic, when it's actually just an unspecific word for "sword", the more so as there is allready a specific Turkish/Ottoman sword ingame: the Yatagan.

I don't think there is anyone around who remembers the actual reason.
So I'm going with "just because". :wp

Try playing the game using the yatagan. Then see how you fare when you get your hands on a kilij. ;)

In the game, the yatagan is a cheap, weak sword, while the kilij is much better. Comparing the yatagan to the kilij is pretty much like comparing the cutlass to the bosun's choice. :duel:

I know the stats of the Kilic are much better, then the Yatagans. But it's the choice of the words I dont get, because "Kilic" means "sword".
So every Yatagan is a Kilic, but not every Kilic is a Yatagan.
The same as you would add a German unspecific sword and just name it "Schwert".

If the Wikipedia article on the kilij is to be believed, although "kilij" does indeed translate to "sword", it refers to a more specific type of sword.

Can you provide a better name for the type of sword we have in the game? Perhaps it could be changed to something more accurate.

The Kilij/Kilic/sword are actually strange for another reason--take a look at its stats:

current Kilij: min lvl 13, 13-25 dmg, 39/25 piercing/block

now compare to one level below

bosun's choice: min lvl 12, 20-35 dmg 35/29 piercing/block

Kilij is basically the sword given to a mid-level enemy when the Random Number Generator decides to make him mostly harmless, only entering the player's mind when after killing an AI, he wonders "wait, why was that guy so easy? OH, Kilij, got it"

Mostly in my experimental mod weapon rebalance I just brought a few lower level swords up a bit in performance, to fit the new deleveled system, but I included the Kilij in that despite its min level, because it really needed the buff.

my edited Kilij: min lvl 13, 17-29 dmg, 44/27 piercing/block (rarity reduced to 0.05, it was far too common as well)

If we are editing the Kilij we might as well include those upgraded stats, to be balanced among the range of similar level blades.

I would have submitted that as a recommended tweak earlier, but there are so many similar changes I made in my experimental version, so they kind of disappear into a forest of odd things with equal claim to correction. But since this came up. :)

Oh, on the name thing, and in thinking on @Grey Roger 's wikipedia point: In Chinese, 剑, jian, is a word for sword. It is also a word for a specific type of straight sword, contrasted with the 刀dao, which is generally used for knives but also for a specific sword (and is in the game, as the 'asiatic broadsword', which is a good name for it).

From the wikipedia article I had thought the Kilij/Kilic was similar, it means sword, but can also be used to refer to a specific type of sword. I wonder if such specific meanings would still survive in modern speaker's common usage and memory. For the Chinese, they do, because of the prevalence of tv shows set in the era and such, but it might be a modern speaker of Turkish thinks "this just means sword" when it does have a particular meaning as well, just somewhat forgotten for some modern speakers.

EDIT: another source for the Kilij is a specific kind of sword, and might be derived from the Chinese 刀: History of Turkish swords | Sword history

Last edited:
In conformity with my Turkish buddy "Kilic" is the common name for any sword, doesnt matter from which country it is or in which time it was used. If you check out the Turkish wikipedia-article you will even find there a picture of a German sword from the medieval age.
For the current "Kilij" in the game it could be maybe called "Ottoman Kilic". That would be more specific, both to the origin and to the time period.

@Javrimir

I think we are discussing this from the wrong angle.

The sword names aren't generally in their native language, they are in English, or loan-words borrowed into English with altered meanings.

Shamshir is a persian word for sword, but in English it means a specific type of sword. We have this one in the game as well.

"Kilic" is a turkish word for sword, but when it was borrowed into English as a new loan-word it is spelled "Kilij" and means a specific type of sword.

It is included in english language dictionaries and encylopedias as Kilij, with that specific meaning.

The question really isn't what "Kilic" means in Turkish, it is what the separate borrowed word "Kilij" means in english, as a loan-word, not for its original meaning. Languages are replete with words like this--general words loaned from other languages, with specific meanings in their english loan-word form.

I asked a Iranian friend by the way, she said that "Shamshir" has an specific meaning. She will ask her father for telling me more :)
But for now I have an other question: Which reason could be, if I cant swap ships, even when one of my officers is sailing it?
Is it because Im playing as naval officer?
image.jpeg

That would indeed explain it. Naval Officer is a bit different from usual.
A companion ship is a prize ship for you to sell. You can start fleet building once you become Commodore though.

I asked a Iranian friend by the way, she said that "Shamshir" has an specific meaning. She will ask her father for telling me more :)
But for now I have an other question: Which reason could be, if I cant swap ships, even when one of my officers is sailing it?
Is it because Im playing as naval officer?
You have been assigned your ship by the navy and you will command it, that's an order!

You can take prize ships and sell them - in reality, shares of that prize money were a welcome boost to the basic salary, even the relatively small share earned by a common crewman was worth a lot. And you'll be assigned to a new, better ship when you are promoted. This is the difference between naval officer and privateer; the privateer receives nothing free from his nation, so if he wants a better ship then he has to buy or capture it himself.

Guess I will just post here instead of opening a new thread.
Is there a way how to see how many "rank points" (the ones for the Naval Officer Ranks) I currently got? I only get the message how many I get for each sunken ship, but it frankly doesnt help my planning.

Is there a way how to see how many "rank points" (the ones for the Naval Officer Ranks) I currently got?
See the numbers in the Nations Relations interface to the right of the various nations.
Numbers of 0 or below indicate you're neutral/hostile. Numbers above zero are your "rank points".
Here are the values you need for the various ranks: New Horizons National ranks | PiratesAhoy!

Oh right, when I rightclick on my status, which is lit up green, it tells me that I am up to promotion.
Problem is just, I am french, and I dont know where the "HQ" is for me to get promoted. Where do I have to go?

Edit: Goodness me, I am an idiot. I didnt see the option. Sorry. Got it now

Last edited:
Back