• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Game Promotion: Laying the Foundation

That, and I believe the banner will be vastly improved if the ship's course yards are visible. The hull looks very naked to me in the current version on Moddb.

I'd advise against showing the tops'l yards, though. They're hauled up but there's no sail set yet.

Hmm... I see your point about the colours. Here's an attempt to modify the base image in GIMP to see if we can fix that:
StAlbans_modified1.jpg
I've warmed up the yellows, which happens to make the masts look slightly better too, and painted the underside white. What do you think?

Oh, the hull is white till this position? Actual the "white" is horizontal below the waterline. I have taken this because the ship was setup so and I think it is normal :rumgone

This is changed fast and the ropes to the yards are now setup too, so please stay tuned here. I await the ocker tone from Post Captain and you get better pictures :walkplank

EDIT: PLEASE paint me in the St. Albans Thread into the screenshots what is to do. I working every day at the ship and can realize the changes within the research process.

EDIT 2: Gunports are missing the gaps, in reason of animation setup

EDIT 3: Sails comes at least when all other setup is useable by Captain Murphy. In the meantime we animate the rudder and steering wheel

[sarcasm]EYE CANDY!?!?!? Those people stacked pennants AND flags on the FOREMAST. How could anyone support them after that? [/sarcasm]

Would like to address this point.

We were extremely proud to come to Pirateahoy last year to announce Naval Action. In fact Piratesahoy was a first place where we went.
It is (was) a respected source of information on sailing and pirates games for everyone in the world. Some of our team members who worked on "City of Abandoned ships" and "Return of the Sea legend" said Piratesahoy community was one of the reasons of their success. Because of that we welcomed some of HOO team members to testing our game and our forums, and were very excited about your endeavor - making your own perfect game.

While it is fine for common forum users to get carried away and attack products that potentially compete with their favorite game, It is extremely strange that some of your team members are berating our content. Post Captain's posting on our Indiedb page was accepted even with the HOO mention in the comment - because we like what you are doing. Seeing his sarcastic post now - it is becoming obvious that it was just a veiled attack on our temporary place holder banners with the goal to just advertise HOO. Flags and banners are easy to fix, but fixing honor will take time.

Age of sail was a period when honor meant something. We believe that despite similarities - products are different and can mutually support each other.

Last edited:
Would like to address this point.

We were extremely proud to come to Pirateahoy last year to announce Naval Action. In fact Piratesahoy was a first place where we went.
It is (was) a respected source of information on sailing and pirates games for everyone in the world. Some of our team members who worked on "City of Abandoned ships" and "Return of the Sea legend" said Piratesahoy community was one of the reasons of their success. Because of that we welcomed some of HOO team members to testing our game and our forums, and were very excited about your endeavor - making your own perfect game.

While it is fine for common forum users to get carried away and attack products that potentially compete with their favorite game, It is extremely strange that some of your team members are berating our content. Post Captain's posting on our Indiedb page was accepted even with the HOO mention in the comment - because we like what you are doing. Seeing his sarcastic post now - it is becoming obvious that it was just a veiled attack on our temporary place holder banners with the goal to just advertise HOO. Flags and banners are easy to fix, but fixing honor will take time.

Age of sail was a period when honor meant something. We believe that despite similarities - products are different and can mutually support each other.
I am not sure you understand that his post was specifically a joke/witticism. The "[sarcasm]" wrapper is an indication that what they are saying is generally to be taken in reverse of the actual context. From what I read, I took it as the game is amazing, though a single item stands out, i.e. the pennant placement. Please understand that it was not a pointed comment.

@Maxizzz: I also see no need for friction between our two teams and members. As I said earlier on the same subject:
....we're not trying to make the same game twice.
And:
After all, an online multiplayer game just isn't the same as an offline singleplayer one.
I know I am definitely well impressed by the work you have shown on Naval Action and I'm certain many of our members are looking forward to its release. :onya

Yes, that was a joke about the pennants, not an intentional criticism, and I apologies that it might have appeared orherwise.

@Maxizzz:
I know I've made a few comments on your ships, but they were meant to be constructive criticism just as I would make on a ship building here. Your team is doing some fine work, and I always make an effort to state as much in my comments. I hope no offense was taken because of this, I realize now there might have been given the different nature of our respective forums. Wish you guys the best going forward, we are still eagerly anticipating your further progress here!

OK folks, back on topic now, please.

It will be much easier if we know the colors you want since the materials can then be changed in the engine and give a truer look at the game. If I can get a decent looking island and an updated TOD, I can always toss in some cannon effects too.

TOD is the Time Of Day file. It controls the colors of the sun and water throughout the time cycle. It makes a profound effect on the scenes. You can take the same scene and go from a cartoony appearance to something out of Fallout without changing anything but that file setting. I have a bare bones version that just has some water color correction. It might help to have some artist types take a look at that in the engine to get it tweaked to our liking. Drop a few assets onto the level and make sure they look correct.

What we need is some recognition from some major news outlets, the problem with that is once everyone sees what we are doing, they will want it NOW! It could also bring a lot of unwanted attention, such as companies wanting to buy us up before we can get in on their action, even though we want no part of their action!

The last few years, I have seen a lot of things similar to this press release I ran across this morning, Indie game development is really taking off. I think mainly because of the exact same reason that we are developing Hearts of Oak, the big player only want to make cheap games that make them lots of money. Games with soul like ours cost them way to much, which is why we have to make it ourselves! Most of the contests lioke this I have seen are for commercial projects only though, but if we can get recognized with something similar to this, I think that would help take us a long way.

PARTNER PRESS RELEASE
This press release is from Bastion's website.
SUBMISSIONS OPEN FOR DEVELOP IN BRIGHTON’S FOURTH INDIE SHOWCASE COMPETITION
Develop in Brighton Conference, 8-10 July 2014 – www.developconference.com
Develop in Brighton’s annual search for the next big thing in independent games development is underway again as submissions open for its fourth Indie Showcase at www.developconference.com.

The conference’s Indie Showcase celebrates the very best of indie game development with an exhibition featuring the ten best entries as chosen by a panel of experts led by Assyria Games’ Adam Green. One of these 10 games will be judged overall Indie Showcase Winner by the judging panel, one will be selected by journalists in the Editors Choice Award and there will also be the chance for all delegates to vote for their favourite game during the event in the People's Choice Award.

All 10 finalists receive two free Indie Dev Day conference passes, up to five Expo passes, pre-event publicity and a profile on the event website, plus the opportunity to show off their games to around 1,600 developers and publishers at the event.

Last year, a record number of indie developers submitted their games to the judging panel. Winners included People’s Choice award That Dragon, Cancer, a game created to help developer Ryan’s four year old son in his battle against cancer and financed by OUYA to launch this year; Editors’ Choice award Gunpoint, out on Steam which received an 83 metacritic score on launch and Indie Showcase overall winner Ibb and Obb which launched in Europe and America on the PlayStation Store a month after winning the award.

“It is fantastic that The Indie Showcase is back for a fourth year. Last year produced a record number of submissions and I think it is safe to say we are in a golden age for indie developers. I have high hopes there will be even more amazing games submitted this year and I can't wait to check them all out,” said Adam Green, managing director Assyria Games.

“The showcase remains an excellent opportunity for indies to put their game in the spotlight at the Develop in Brighton Conference and get in front of publishers, the press and over 1600 delegates.”

Andy Lane, managing director of conference organiser Tandem Events, added: "For the last four years, we've been fully committed to giving a platform to the very best indie talent that's out there. It's completely free for indies to enter and the top ten games not only get the great opportunity to be showcased to the wider development community who come to be part of Develop in Brighton each year, but the shortlisted Indies will get direct feedback on their games from other developers playing them."

Entry to the Indie Showcase is open to the following at www.developconference.com:
- Studios with no more than 15 people
- Studios – and games – that are non-publisher funded
- Games which are not published by a third party at the time of submission
- Games that have a development budget of less than £1million
- Games that are created in the “indie spirit”

The deadline to enter is 12 May 2014 and the Indie Showcase, Editors’ Choice and People's Choice winners will be announced to press and delegates at the Develop in Brighton Conference on Thursday 10 July 2014.

NOTES TO EDITORS
About Develop in Brighton Conference:

The Develop in Brighton Conference is where the European developer community comes together to learn from each other and share experiences, be inspired by world renowned experts and gurus, get up-to-date with the latest development tools and techniques, make new contacts and catch up with old ones.

With a programme that is shaped by some of the industry's key figures, the conference touches all levels of the development community from the largest studios to the smallest indies; from development directors to programmers.

The three-day event is organised into specific areas of interest:
Tuesday 8 July is the Evolve conference focussing on the cutting edge of game development.

Wednesday 9 July is the opening day of the main Develop in Brighton Conference tackling the issues, tools, tricks and techniques of game development and offering practical advice and solutions to take back to the studio. Plus, the Indie Dev Marketing Day designed to guide indie developers through the ever-changing world of marketing and PR as they take their games – and their studios - to market on limited resources.

Thursday 10 July the Develop in Brighton C onference continues, with the addition of the Audio Track a day of sessions dedicated to game audio and music. Plus, the Indie Dev Day returns for the third year aimed specifically at independent developers with sessions, the chance to mix with other indies and a showcase featuring some of the best new indie projects currently in development.

Registration for Develop in Brighton 2014 is open now at www.developconference.com.

Twitter @developconference

Facebook /developconference

#Hashtags: How to Use Them?

Is anyone here familiar with the use of Hashtags in promotional posts? I'm thinking we should start using those to see if we can increase our exposure.
I've never done that before; always looked quite stupid in my eyes.

So, what tags could we use as categories for this? I'm thinking #Pirates #History #Game or something.
If anyone has any suggestions on this, please say so. :doff

Not a Twitter user myself, but I do often see hashtags integrated into the comments nowadays instead of tagged to the end of a post.
Some examples we could use: "Just posted a new video for #HeartsOfOakGame! (link)" or "New update for #NewHorizonsMod now available!"
If we used tags like those often enough, other people might start to use them as well.

Of course there's always the option of adding #Pirates, #AgeOfSail, #POTC and such at the end of a post, to attract people looking for those tags.

From what I understand, the idea is that using common tags will make the posts pop up in searches.
So referencing Hearts of Oak or New Horizons wouldn't work. But Pirates and PotC would.

Partly true, but creating tags for other people to refer to our content by is also useful. I've seen other game developers do this often.

That might indeed be useful if we can get people talking about us. Somehow.

Back