• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Game Promotion: Laying the Foundation

Post Captain

Seamanship Advisor
Coordinator
QC Advisor
Storm Modder
Welcome to the Modding Team! It's great to have you here! :woot

Of course the Hearts of Oak project has only just been started on and we're still trying to work out how to get it under-way properly.
As such, we don't have many people working on it at the moment and progress is dead slow.
Next week, I'm intending to make a public profile for our game and we can then start attracting more of the people we need.
Hopefully then we can get this show on the road for real! :dance

When are you planning on making the profile next week? I have some very good* concept art that hasn't been scanned yet, and using it would help get our ideas across, especially since we don't have many WIP images.

*I've been practicing a few new perspectives and weather types, and I've finally been able to make them presentable.

When are you planning on making the profile next week? I have some very good* concept art that hasn't been scanned yet, and using it would help get our ideas across, especially since we don't have many WIP images.
I get back home on Tuesday and will be trying to set up the ModDB profile shortly after. I want to get it over and done with because as soon as it is THERE, we can ALL start improving on it and working with it.
But we can't use it if it doesn't first exist. ;)

I'll try to get at least half of the stuff up before then. I'll have the time, and the more we start with, the better.

True, that. You don't have to rush though; the public won't NOTICE the profile until we start ADVERTISING it. And even then it'll take them a while to take proper notice.
So we can set it up, fill it up with some good content and once we're happy, THEN we will post it on all our advertising means so that everybody interested will be able to find it.
Ideally, I'd like people to start posting their own stuff on there as well, similar to what I've been requesting for PotC and CoAS too.
The more people post and the more stuff is posted, the more active we seem and the higher the chance that people will take note.

Uploading the images will serve two purposes: the beefing profile and illustrating my parts of the ship thread. It's going to have to happen regardless, so I might as well do it over the weekend.
Besides, without some sort of deadline, it would take me months to upload the ten illustrations. :cheeky
Hey, I'm not complaining. If you want to do it this weekend, by all means DO SO! :onya

I finally got around to doing a bit of promoting myself, better late than never! :wp

Very cool! Once we've got our ModDB profile in place, you'll be able to show them what we've done already and what where we intend to go.
In the meantime, do you think there should be a link to some of our other works in there? For example a link to the New Horizons ModDB profile?

Doh! I knew I forgot something! :facepalm

**EDIT**
Link added to contact info!

Something came up, and it looks like I won't have time to get those images uploaded today. Feel free to use anything I have in the concept art thread, though.

Hearts of Oak: Conquest of the Seas ModDB Profile

We officially have a ModDB profile for Hearts of Oak now! See here: http://www.moddb.com/games/hearts-of-oak
Of course this is the first version. Now we need to improve on it.

Soon, I also intend to post:
1. A Feature article indicating in full our intentions with the game
2. An announcement News post once we're happy with the rest of the content (this will be advertised on all our other profiles

So everybody, please pitch in and give me your feedback, comments and suggestions on what should go on there!!!

Bookmarked. An article giving FULL intentions would be good. The size of this world will be huge as it will be over 2,000 miles north and south, east and west. That is approx. 25 degrees latitude by 40 degrees longitude at the start from looking at a globe. In a sailing ship that is a huge world! And all of the land to explore! Aye, there be adventure enough for everyone in that world.

An article giving FULL intentions would be good.
We have a lot of work to do, then. I've seen no further changes to the Design Document since I uploaded it, and in its current state, it's nowhere near sufficient enough to get an article together.
Our exact intentions are still up in the air, and need to be compiled from the Brainstorming threads. In fact, I think I'll start doing just that. :checklist

Would you mind waiting a bit? I'm intending to write down my own thoughts on a whole bunch of subjects based on what I've read here.
Then people can post their comments on that and we'll take it from there. If everything goes as planned, I'll get to work on that write-up tomorrow.

So you're saying this won't be of any use to you?
Just a rough outline of the game based on most of the brainstorming threads. Needs expanding.
Theme: The Age of Sail
Genre: Realistic role playing
Type: Single and Multi-player
Description: Single-player features an open-world environment for players to explore and do as they please, along with scripted quests to play. Multiplayer features separate game modes for cooperative and competitive play.

Setting
  • Locations
    • Caribbean islands
    • Others TBD
  • Time periods
    • TBD spanning 1500 - 1820
Playable Factions
  • Britain
  • France
  • Holland
  • Pirate
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • United States
  • Others TBD
Models and Textures
  • Architecture
    • Towns and ports
    • Other TBD
  • Characters
    • Pirates
    • Privateers
    • Traders
    • Soldiers and marines
    • Various naval ranks
  • Sailing vessels
    • Merchantmen
    • Naval vessels
  • Weapons
    • Swords
    • Pistols
    • Muskets
    • Other TBD
Gameplay
  • Boarding and land-based combat
    • Health system
  • Naval combat
    • Damage system
  • Trading and economy
User Interface
  • Character and hand-to-hand combat
  • Sailing and naval combat
  • Customisation
    • Characters
    • Sailing vessels
Music
  • Classical
  • Contemporary
Multiplayer
  • Cooperative modes
  • Competitive modes
:p

Added the ModDB link to the GameDev article, thanks mate! The article is no longer on the front page, but it is well over 400 views, so at least we are getting some notice! :onya

I still need to get around to posting on the UDK forums, I'll see what I can do this weekend. :wp

I haven't had a lot of free time the past couple of months, it doesn't look like that is going to change much any time soon either. :rolleyes:

Ok, Ok. I reckon I CAN put that to use, Armada. Just wanted to prevent us doing double work. :facepalm

Well you don't HAVE to use it at all. I had already done that before you posted, so thought it was worth mentioning before you got started.
Otherwise, it might have ended up with me wasting my time again; apparently I did just that with the recent FastGalleon model fixes.
If nothing else, maybe it could be used as rough guidelines or a check-list. :shrug

Thagarr: That's good news! Hopefully we can grab a few talented people from the UDK forums too. :onya
We're going to need some proper organisation around here very soon, with more and more people joining and asking for specific work...

We're going to need some proper organisation around here very soon, with more and more people joining and asking for specific work...
VERY true. Once we've written down what it is that we want, the next crucial step will be figuring out how to get it done, how to work together and assign tasks, etc.

Back