• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Game crashed while doing the Nigel Blythe quest

lbm1006

Landlubber
Just doing the Nigel Blythe quest,I made him a ship captain,sail to Douwesen,help him sink the smuggler's ship and kill the rest of the smugglers on Douwesen port.

When I want to sail back to the sea,the game just crashed in the loading screen.Does anyone knows how to solve this bug?

Well,it looks like there's a bug when sail from Douwesen,the game "clones" a Nigel's ship out of nowhere.And if you already had three ships plus Nigel's ship,the game will crash when you sail to the sea.

Now I selled all of my other ships just keep the Nigel'ship,and the game stopped crash,but the quest book doesn't update and I still can't move foward the quest.

Attachments

• screenshot202106261630.jpg
    screenshot202106261630.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 116
You're playing the unmodded game, right?
It is notoriously famous for being unfinished, rushed; and somewhat buggy.
While of course we always try to help here, technically support for the original game should be provided by the original game developers.

Good luck getting them to respond though.
I tried myself quite recently; but the official support phone number in my Dutch manual doesn't even exist anymore.

There is a reason our PotC Build Mod exists; and that is because it is really difficult to troubleshoot the original game.
And if I am very honest (the the point of being blunt and rude, I'm afraid... :( ),
it feels pointless to me to try and fix quests in the original game now in 2021 when exactly that was already done in 2004.

If you really want to play fixed and finished quest content from the original game, I have to recommend you upgrade to one of our modpacks.
I can understand if, for nostalgia or simplicity, you do not want to upgrade to the full New Horizons.
But you might want to consider upgrading to Build 11: http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/b11.exe

That is the first version of the mod I myself ever played; and it is still VERY close to the original game.
It's only 22 MB (rather than the 2+ GB of Build 14) and contains many of the most important fixes.

It does also contain new features, but compared to what came after, it's relatively straightforward stuff:
Overview
------------
In general, the world of POTC is now more dynamic and fuller. You can vary the difficulty of the game between four presets: Apprentice, Journeyman, Adventurer, and Swashbuckler. Towns--and their garrisons, goods available, and gold--may grow and shrink over time; your relationship with the various nations can be anywhere from hostile through wary, neutral, friendly, or even ranked or titled. You may even, if very successful, be awarded estates in Europe, and have the chance to court and marry a relative of a local governor. You can turn colors easily in true swashbuckling style: you can buy amnesty from governors or agents, and raise or lower flags. The weapons you find may be of varying quality, and items may increase (or decrease!) your skills (or others, if you give them said items). You can now buy different clothes for yourself--and your officers--and even armor. You may even be able to survive near-fatal experiences, waking up days later or casting off in a lifeboat, and if you agree to playing without saves you may be granted great powers. If you or your officers succeed in hacking down an opponent, you are rewarded with his sword and pistol and perhaps some gold he was carrying. While doing your hacking, however, remember that you can’t reload your pistol; doing so requires both hands (thus you must sheath your sword first). The streets of towns are filled with transients and even bandits; the waters around islands are likewise filled with the transients and bandits of the sea. Houses have residents, with whom you can gossip, trade, or even threaten; they may be able to help if you’re wounded or hunted by the guards. Your crew now has daily needs in wheat and rum, and, if you’ve signed articles with them, their morale will be linked to how much gold your part has and how long it’s been since you divided the plunder. You can knock over opponents’ masts; your opponents’ crews also have minds of their own; they may surrender, giving up their captain for ransom or execution. The longer you keep a captain prisoner, the higher the ransom; but he may escape…In addition, a variety of quests have been enabled (which were included with the game but disabled); see Quests Added.txt for information and walkthroughs (if needed). Further, many quests (and other things!) included with the game have been fixed or enhanced. Graphics have been enhanced as well, with a new weather system and new characters, ships, and items

You're playing the unmodded game, right?
It is notoriously famous for being unfinished, rushed; and somewhat buggy.
While of course we always try to help here, technically support for the original game should be provided by the original game developers.

Good luck getting them to respond though.
I tried myself quite recently; but the official support phone number in my Dutch manual doesn't even exist anymore.
Just managed to complete this annoyingly cursed(just like Nigel himself) quest.The reason why the quest book doesn't update is simply becouse the ship rank isn't high enough for Nigel to "steal". I changed ship from rank6 to rank3,and completed the rest of the quest without problem.

If you really want to play fixed and finished quest content from the original game, I have to recommend you upgrade to one of our modpacks.
I can understand if, for nostalgia or simplicity, you do not want to upgrade to the full New Horizons.
But you might want to consider upgrading to Build 11: http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/b11.exe

That is the first version of the mod I myself ever played; and it is still VERY close to the original game.
It's only 22 MB (rather than the 2+ GB of Build 14) and contains many of the most important fixes.

It does also contain new features, but compared to what came after, it's relatively straightforward stuff:
Thanks for the recommendation,I think I'll download and play this incredible well-done mod just after I complete the main quest for the stock game.

Just managed to complete this annoyingly cursed(just like Nigel himself) quest.The reason why the quest book doesn't update is simply becouse the ship rank isn't high enough for Nigel to "steal". I changed ship from rank6 to rank3,and completed the rest of the quest without problem.
Congratulations! :cheers

Thanks for the recommendation,I think I'll download and play this incredible well-done mod just after I complete the main quest for the stock game.
Ah yes; doing it in the middle of the storyline is NOT a good time. :rofl

I should actually post that Build 11 to ModDB one day.
Right now, all we have there are the newer versions 12 and 13:
Downloads - Pirates of the Caribbean: Build Mod 13 for Pirates of the Caribbean
(Plus New Horizons of course; but that's a pretty much a separate thing by now... :ninja )

Back