• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Game Crash

Ombie3

Landlubber
My Game often crashes when I start fighting. usually when boarding. At the quest where you have to rescue a man's daughter from a pirate, i crash everytime you're drawing swords.

Does anyone know how to fix this? cus it's getting really annoying.

i have my game installed in (C) - Potc.

so not in program files like suggested.

Which modpack version, if any?

Assuming you have the latest, then avoid looting during boarding. That seems to help.

Looting is not an option in "Saving Toff's Daughter", which I believe is "the quest where you have to rescue a man's daughter from a pirate". ;)

@Ombie3: can you post the files "compile.log", "system.log" and (if it exists) "error.log" from straight after such a crash? These will be found in the top level of the game installation folder, probably "C:\Potc" - not in the "PROGRAM" or "RESOURCE" sub-folders.

weird, i installed it on my own pc aswell. had 0 crashes in like 3 hours. while i crashed on my other pc like 10 times the first hour.

weird, i installed it on my own pc aswell. had 0 crashes in like 3 hours. while i crashed on my other pc like 10 times the first hour.
That pretty well points to the other PC as the problem. How old is it? Open up the case and have a look around the CPU fan, and blow out any dust which may be clogging it up, especially if it's attached to a heatsink.

Run a memory checking program such as Memtest+:
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Random crashes may be caused by the CPU overheating or by dodgy memory. Or by hard drive errors - what brand of hard drive does that PC have?

You don't really need to be much of an expert as long as you can figure out how to get the lid off. Then just blow hard at any dust you see in there, especially if it's near the biggest fan you can see.

Memtest86+ is easy. Download this:
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip

Unzip the file and copy it to a CD. Then boot the PC from that CD. It should just run itself. If it doesn't show any error messages, fine! If it does, and you aren't happy to try replacing memory yourself, find someone to do it for you, because dodgy memory may affect whatever else you want to do with that PC as well.

Back