• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Frigate "Rossiya", 1728

As promised, here is a new render portraying the conditions described above:

Rossiya_hires_render10.jpeg

I reckon it's a marked improvement on the previous renders; it almost reminds me of a Geoff Hunt painting.
What does everyone else think?

Almost there, I´d say :) But there´s too much blue imo, I´d give the sun/horizon a red or yellow tint:

Rossiya_hires_render101.jpeg

The colour tint in the image is the default 'daytime' lighting that the render uses. Personally I like it as-is, but it's worth remembering that it's only a concept. The real thing will look very different.

I've made a revised version with a slightly darker tint, and modified the horizon to look more natural. I doubt any further changes would be worthwhile.
Rossiya_hires_render11.jpeg
I'll post this in the HoO concept art thread and on ModDB.

Did you see about the yards being braced around further? Right now they are set for running downwind, and would be luffing uncontrollably. Much to the frustration of square-rig sailors such as myself, you need the wind to be about twenty three degrees behind the sail before it will even start filling, nevermind working efficiently.

Hard over on a ship like that should be closer to 45 or 50 degrees minimum. The sprit tops'l and sprits'l should be more flat, as opposed to how they are currently hanging down like regular squares'ls. See the Endeavor picture I posted earlier for clarification.

Ah, must have missed that. I'll take another look at it tomorrow.

Right, hopefully this attempt looks more accurate:

Rossiya_hires_render12.jpeg
All the squares'ls are now braced around by 45 degrees, with some minor clipping of the shrouds, but it's hardly visible at this angle.
If I correctly understood your points about the sprits'l and sprit tops'l, they should look right now.

I also moved the sun higher up in the sky, which looks more correct for the time of day. I reckon it was too low before, hence Bava's point above.

Hello, how can i get the rossiya in the potc new horizons?
She's featured in the 'Tales of a Sea Hawk' and 'Hoist the Colours' storylines, and can be acquired from shipyards or captured from sea encounters.

Did you use booleans to create the hawse holes? or another method? right now booleans aren't working for hawse holes that I need to make :confused:

I used the 'Make Hole' function (see the Maya User's Guide and search 'make hole').
It tends to mess up the object's UVs, so it's best to make the holes before any final UV mapping.

I've found period engravings of the proper ways to stow the hawses for the anchors. The good news is, the method we're using seems to be correct. We might want to vary it a bit for future vessels. I'll have to dig the pictures out of my hard drive soon.

That's good to know, then. Using various different methods for other ships would be nice.

I just ran into an SP_Frigate and it really stood out to me how LOW-detail she is compared to the Rossiya.
Can anyone remember why we still have that version?

That is a Heavy Frigate. I last worked on it in patch 1.6 putting new rigging on her but never finished before patch 1.7 and never got back to it. I saw it last nite too and started thinking about what masts to put on her. :nerbz

I just ran into an SP_Frigate and it really stood out to me how LOW-detail she is compared to the Rossiya.
Can anyone remember why we still have that version?

I think we kept it because a) we couldn't think of a Spanish paint scheme for the Rossiya, and b) it's meant to serve as an earlier frigate with different rigging.

Truth be told, the paint scheme makes the ship look badly neglected and unfit for naval service anyway, so I'd be more inclined to remove the ship altogether.
Besides, ships of a similar size with the earlier rigging include the Postillionen and early Neptunus, so we have plenty of high-detail choices to replace SP_Frigate's role.
The Spanish also have use of Frigate1, so we don't need to make another repaint of the Rossiya.

Eh? I don't care if it's dropped or not, but you are comparing a ship with 42 guns (SP_frigate) to a ship with 20 guns (Postillionen) and 16 guns (Neptunus) ??? :unsure

Back