• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Flying Dutchman Project: Cursed & Uncursed

@Armada I need help. I'm stupid.
If you want to create a new image with a transparent background, try this:

In GIMP, create a new image with the resolution you want and choose Fill with: Transparency.
GIMP_transp.png
Now go to File > Open As Layers and find your texture. You should now be able to delete parts of it or use a layer mask to add transparency.

In Photoshop (I'm using the CC version), create a new image as above and choose Background Contents: Transparent.
PS_transp.png
Now go to File > Open and find your texture, then copy and paste it onto your new image.

However, if you're opening a TGA file in Photoshop and finding that it's opaque, follow the steps described here to show transparency:
1. Open your image.tga

2. In the main menu at the top choose Layer > New > Layer from Background… then click OK

3. Open the Channels dialog: Window > Channels

4. You should see:
  • RGB
  • Red
  • Blue
  • Green
  • Alpha (unchecked)
If you don’t see the Alpha channel then your .tga file doesn’t have one

5. Ctrl+click on the alpha channel’s thumbnail (or select the Alpha channel and click the little dashed circle at the bottom of the channels dialog “Load channel as selection”)

6. Choose Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal Selection

7. With the layer mask selected choose Layer > Layer Mask > Apply

8. In the Channels dialog, trash the Alpha channel

I hope that helps. :doff

This is beyond frustrating. :modding

Am I doing something wrong in saving it?

Last edited:
Yes, that part works, but when I save it and then convert it with the TX converter and view the model with GM viewer, it shows a black texture where there should be no texture.
There are several settings you can use in the TX Converter, but not all of them support alpha maps.
You have to select one that does, because the default setting doesn't.

Maybe @Armada, @Grey Roger or @Jack Rackham remembers the specific option you need.

This is what I use when going from .tga to .TX.

Attachments

• TX converter.jpg
    TX converter.jpg
    702.8 KB · Views: 197
The gargoyle cannon ports were a colossal pain last time and they are proving the same again.

Untitled_1.jpg

Back