• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

FINALLY found fix for win7 compatibility

Arne

Landlubber
After searching for days for a solution to run pirates of the caribbean(not the build mod),i cant believe how simple the solution is...Many of you surely have tried setting compatibility mode to Win XP,which doesnt work of course.

Now all you have to do is to put it on Windows 98 mode,not XP,thats all...
The game runs a bit slow that way tough,but you dont need a lot of reactions in the game anyways,so...

Also,eventually you might have to install swiftshader too,incase you have intel card.

Tell me if it works for you too.

Edit:still having crashes,but theyre 10 times rarer now.

I still don't understand why people ask for "Windows 7 compatibility".
The game has NO problems with Windows 7; it's been running fine on my Windows 7 laptop without me needing to adjust anything for quite some time now.
Some of the compatibility settings do help though to prevent weird effects when minimizing, but that's more a problem for modders.

I have not played stock POTC in years, but when I did I played it on Vista and it ran fine. You should have no problems with Win7 once all of the security settings are adjusted.

I have windows 7 and can't make the build 14 v2.1 full to work... I can't understand why, cause I had it installed and working fine until I decided to uninstall the game and install it on another pc with win 7 too. Now when I start it, the build intro movie with the cannon ball doesn't play. The intro is the same of the original game but when I start the game on windows, that loading window shows the build's image instead of the original's wave... Inside the game, the menu is like the original but it doesn't show the words like "New game"... The buttons are in blank.
I tried to reinstall it on the first computer, but now it show the same problem.
I installed it on a new paste off the program files like C:\pirates of the Caribbean Like I read on a topic but it didn't make a difference... And another curios thing is that when installed for the first time on the first computer, it was working perfectly and the files' directory was the default C:\program files(x86)\bethesda softworks\ pirates of the caribbean

Anybody can help me?

Thanks!

That sounds like a bad install. Perhaps you could try downloading the mod again and then installing POTC outside of program files.

I'll try to download it again but, how come downloading the mod again, could solve this problem knowing that it has been installed once and worked fine? Anyway, I'll try.

Thanks for the attention!

My theory on this is that you downloaded B14 beta 2.1 once and it worked. Then when you installed it again it did not work. Either it was installed improperly the second time or the files themselves have become corrupted.

You know your computer far better than I. Maybe it needs a good defrag?

Well... I downloaded it again and it is still not working... I don't think that a defrag would make it work, cause the build never worked on the second computer and it is brand new. The build's installation folder on the game's folder isn't overwriting the game's... Like PROGRAM is PROGRAM_new. I don't remember if it has been always like this, but this could be a reason. I changed the folder's name to overwrite but it is still not working.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!!!

Another thing that I remembered is that I had reinstalled it hundred times on both pc to check the possible bad installation, but it is still the same.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but the way the file system is in POTC, running defrag on a regular basis really does make a big difference. Sometimes it also depends on the defrag program being used, the Windows defrag is complete crap, try using something like Defraggler or Smart Defrag.

Another thing you might try is deactivating some codecs you may have on your system, badly written codecs can cause all kinds of nasty windows problems that can prevent many games from working properly. A really handy tool for this is called InstalledCodec, it is freeware as well and makes it really easy to disable and re-enable all the codecs on your system without having to uninstall and re-install them.

OK so the four things that come to mind are.....

1) Are you running 32 or 64 bit? If you're running 64, you must select a 64 bit profile and update your card drivers for 64 bit. Both NVIDIA and AMD have 64 bit profiles and drivers that have to be activated. For AMD, you need to DL the latest CCC Catalyst Control Center and select/update the appropriate 64bit dl and application.

2) Make certain your resolution is not set to the highest your computer will handle. Experiment with the res, I would recommend going as low as 1200x900 to begin with. The game doesn't like higher res unless you manually tweak everything.

3) Are you loading to the game on the (X86) partition? If you are, the games (both COAS and POTC) running in windows7 often don't like living there and will not start from there. I always build a separate folder into my desktop and select that as my download and play location. Try just pulling the Bethesda folder out of its location and plop it on your desktop, then hand start the INI from the folder. If it starts, then you know that's all it was.

4) Some AV programs don't like our games. Often really high end AV thinks the DVM is a virus or malware. Make sure you are not online (I actually pull my CAT5 cable) and temporarily disable your security. If it works, thats what it was.

Its funny because I have both GOF and New Horizons installed on numerous computers with Win7 and they all acted a little differently and had their own challenges based on their out of the box configuration. I hope one or more of these tips help.

MK

Well guys, first I Downloaded smart defrag and installedcodec. Both didnt make a difference... My HD was only 0.36% fragmented. Then I changed the resollution both on config.exe and on my pc settings AND there was a progress!! The game started to recognize the build, showing the build's intro. But now on the loading screen with the spinning coin, the game crashes. So I tried all the resollutions options and it is still crashing. Before changing the resollution, I moved the folder to the desktop too. I'm running 64bit, but I couldn't find the place to change this profile you said. I have a Nvidia video card gtx570. I had updated my driver yesterday so this shoudn't be the problem should it?
My Avast free antivirus isnt high end I guess, but I deactivated it anyway but the game still crashes on the loading screen but yet with the build running.

What else could be?

Thank a lot for the attention I'm receiving!

Well guys!! Finally I made it work! I think i was skipping the last part of the installation of the build with the prompt commando hahahaha I'm very sory or make you wasting your time with this!

But I still have a question but is not about functonallity. What difference makes the "Character is" on the new game options like Merchant, Military, Advanture, Social Climber and Corsair playing the Tales of a Sea Hawk?

I thank you again for your attention!!

Did you say you have a PROGRAM_new folder? That means the Batch file did not run properly. Either you cancelled it or Windows security measures prevented it. Install outside Program Files and ensure you follow all steps.

Character type defines which of your skills will be quicker to increase with the Auto Skill System.

Hi all, Wondering if I can get some help where I went wrong running this game?. used to play it a lot on old pc even then I had to change compatibility etc. However new laptop and ive been going over these forums trying to find solutions and im getting stuck in the same place. So first off when I load the game the storm engine runs I get the intro play and title screen all tabs work but on starting new game crash every time. In the past on old pc I had this issue if a new game wouldn't work I could always load a save file and that would bypass what I am guessing would be the bug?. anyway I cant do this method since I cant start a game and have no other pc/laptop to create one.

I have tried all compatibilities options with a 640 x 480 res and all same effect apart from the window 8 option loaded a little longer. also run as admin*

my laptop details:

windows 10, 64 bit
Intel I core 5 (8th gen)

no disc drive I am running off virtual drive Daemon tools < this hasn't been a problem or with any games before

/I downloaded the intel fix and that didn't do anything
I downloaded a patch and from what I remember that got me to where I am now ( before game wouldn't even load up)

Thanks guys, getting a bit desperate to fix this now, its become annoying. :modding:modding:modding:modding

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 238
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    971.5 KB · Views: 393
  • Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    18 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
Game crash AFTER "Start New Game"? That does sound like the Intel problem.
You could try this instead: SwiftShader V2.0 Demo file[/QUOTE

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT ACTUALLY WORKED :monkeydance:monkeydance:doff

so I put that swift shade into the potc game folder in programs and the game starts up perfectly . I FEEL SO HAPPY :D .

Thank you. legend!
To cure the crazy amount of lag It worked best at compatibility settings win 95 and 640x480

Last edited:
Back