• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Features of the Build Mod

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
I find myself with a bit more spare time aboard than I had anticipated,
so I decided to try and do something I've been wanting to do for quite a while.
However, to speed up this process and make the end result all the better,
I'd very much request the input from each and every one of you.

The project is to make a proper write-up of all the features in the Build mod,
which eventually can be posted as an article series on the ModDB.
It can also be used for the Manual project,
though it is not intended to replace what has already been done on this.

I started out with making a list of points that the final text should cover.
So far, I made some points for what the stock game was like,
as well as some Build Mod graphical improvements and the Periods and Storylines mod.
Can you people please go over these items and tell me if there's important things I'm skipping over?

Also, possibly my short storyline write-ups could be interesting for Snow White Sorrow's "storyline articles" project.

Since I am without time to actually play the game and don't have access to the stock game,
eventually I will also need some support in screenshot-making.
I'll let you know what kind of screenshots I need, but I need other people to go ahead and make them.

So let's get this project started! If we all work together,
I'm sure we can have quite a comprehensive list at least in a few days.
And once the list is there, even somebody other than me could do the actual write-up,
if it appears I will be too busy at that time to do it myself.

One thing I see I forgot to mention already is Bartolomeu's Battle of Aquadilla.
See! That's already ONE thing I missed. Now it's up to you people to find some more! :whipa

Nice start Pieter ;)

Sidequests
Meeting pirate lords, including Capitaine Chevalle, Captain Villanueva (animosity between the two), Sri Sumbhajee (impersonating a Spanish officer), Sao Feng (and his two mistresses), Ammand the Corsair (impersonating a cleric of the church of England) and Gentleman Jocard (who was a slave before)
To
Sidequests
Meeting pirate lords, including Capitaine Chevalle, Captain Villanueva (animosity between the two), Sri Sumbhajee (impersonating a Spanish officer), Sao Feng (and his two mistresses, impersonating an English Officer), Ammand the Corsair (impersonating a cleric of the church of England) and Gentleman Jocard (who was a slave before)

and also maybe adding Flying Dutchman (accurate cursed version) :yes

Original game - 39 ships and 8 islands

Latest Build - 220 ships :shock and 20 islands

Quests: ( not sure which are fixed from the original & which new )

Vigila Mendes & Zaid Murro
Blacque Family
Patric & the Idols
Spanish Admirals missing son
A girl won in a Card game

Ok, I'll add the English officer thing. I didn't know of that;
hopefully one day I'll get around to actually playing your work.
Is impersonating an English officer mentioned in the movies anywhere?

The Flying Dutchman was already added way up under Graphics > Ships.
But I'll add "accurate" to the description, to prevent confusion. :yes

That's a good idea of adding statistics of how many ships and islands we added, Talisman!
Do you happen to have the number of characters in the stock game? Could add that too. :yes

I'm not yet sure how much the final edition should include on finished and re-enabled stock game quests.
I'll add the quests you mentioned and then we'll see what we do with that.
Sure, having those quests finished is cool, but I don't think it's important enough to mention every one of them.
Just saying something like "A couple of unfinished stock game quests were fixed, "followed by some examples.

"Spanish Admirals missing son" wasn't this one already working in the stock game?

I made some further updates, this time mainly focusing on:
- Time progression and weather updates
- Random ships, Sea AI updates and Fake Flags
- DirectSail
- Worldmap

Again, please have a look and check if I'm skipping over any important aspects.
Also, you don't have to wait until I wrote something.
Feel free to write up additions to my list yourself. :yes

That's a good idea of adding statistics of how many ships and islands we added, Talisman!
Do you happen to have the number of characters in the stock game? Could add that too. :yes

Original game:
in RESOURCE / MODELS / CHARACTERS ---- 142 files

B14 Beta
in RESOURCE / MODELS / CHARACTERS ---- 743 files ( I assume some of these are different versions of the same character ) xD:

Most of these are reskins of stock game character models, yes.
But the texture-work on those is very, very good and makes them look really quite different.
There is only a few character models that actually have actually been remodeled.
And only Davy Jones is fully based on non-stock-game material.

Hey, no comments yet on my V2? I don't want to have to do this ALL by myself, you know! :whipa

Should add something about the 'Vice City' Mod ( I've just been reading the details in the Build 11 readme, included in Build 13) as below: :ixi

The Vice City MOD
-------------------------
Turns the formerly peaceful POTC towns into settings for a 17th century "cloak and dagger" adventure. If you roam the towns now you will encounter not only the always-the-same citizens but an ever changing amount of friendly or hostile people. And you have the free choice how you deal with them. You can assume the role of a fighter or that of a sneaking thief.

NEW FEATURES
1. Cutthroats and hired assassins roam the streets and hunt you.
2. Drunken sailors may start tavernbrawls of the bloody sort.
3. Smugglers haunt caves and dungeons, and savages the jungles(instead of fantasyskeletons) .
4. Many formerly empty houses are now occupied by residents. These will stay permanent for some time so that you can visit them again. They offer several gameplay features so that they are really worth a visit (provided your reputation is not too low, they'll throw you out then):
- you can ask the resident to bribe the townguards in order to fix your relationship to them (if they are hostile to you or you want their protection)
- you can spend time till "dawn" or "dusk" with them and gain rumours and some EXP by that.
- they will heal your health and even increase your max HP. The price for that: you must stay a full 24hrs and there is a risk that your wounds may turn gangrenous. In that case you must act quickly and find the right remedy together with the resident, or sacrifice an antidote bottle.
- you may be offered a job as bodyguard: You'll have to guard the house overnight, and -depending on your luck and rank- one or more burglars may appear
- you can try to extort protectionmoney from the resident. Which may take some convincing, and MAY destroy your reputation.

5. In addition to the always-the-same local citizens a lot of travellers populate the streets. Some are vagabonds, others traders or wealthy people who offer real advice to you.
- they sometimes steal your money if you talk to them. Which is not as bad as it sounds: you'll get a veiled warning and you can recover your money by using the right arguments or threats. You may even gain ADDITIONAL money, items, EXP and REP points, so the theft may turn into a gain for you. It's a little gamble: the higher the risk you take the higher the possible gain. And if you loose you can still recover your money by killing the thief. (TWEAKABLE)
-sometimes YOU will get the tempting opportunity to do some pickpocketing. (TWEAKABLE) And you can always rob trevellers with brutal force.

6. Treasurechests are now "locked" and you may even hurt yourself when trying to pick the lock. Or they may be boobytrapped. If a resident is around he will become hostile and attack you if armed. (TWEAKABLE)

7. For the features 4-6 skills like leadership, defense and especially LUCK play a large role. Luck has somehow become a kind of "thieves" or "rouge" skill. So this skill has been renamed "Streetsmart" to underline its new role.

THE BEHAVIOUR OF THE TOWNGUARDS
"The townguards are nothing but a bunch of idlers and corrupt cowards. Only the worst scum of the European armies volunteers for service in these godforsaken colonies. They usually turn a blind eye if there is a fight, they only interfere if some influential citizen is being attacked. But if they feel threatened they strike back in blind fear, and attack anyone wielding a blade, often confusing friend and foe in their panic."
So don't be surprised if they do not support you initially. In their eyes you are only some unimportant foreign privateer. If you want their support you can bribe them. (see FEATURE 4.)

:trio

Here's another update for you to ponder over.
It's mainly got updated on Realistic vs. Arcade game mode and, as a result of that, some notes on WBT modifications.

At the moment, I am compiling this document as a full statement of facts about the stock game, Build mod and all their aspects.
However, that doesn't make for a very readable document and it therefore has to be adjusted to the various spots
where we want people to be able to find information on New Horizons.
!!!You will understand I refuse to do all that myself, so we will require other people to help with this!!!

PiratesAhoy! Wiki:
- There's two purposes for this:
1. Quick-reference for people needing an answer on a certain aspect of the game
This will also allow us to refer people to the relevant pages when they post questions
2. Full reference guide to future modders, including what has been done and how it works

- Two purposes means that we might need to have two seperate sections on the Wiki for this
1. Section 1 could contain basically the same information as the Manual does, though maybe more complete than the Manual does.
2. Section 2 would contain additional references of deliberately hidden features so they won't be lost and forgotten
It could also contain explanations of how exactly various mods have been realised, possibly including the various modders' own documentation on their work,
as well as modding tutorials and such.

ModDB:
- Information doesn't need to go in-depth on keyboard controls or interface use
- Needs to have many images and movies embedded where applicable to liven up the result
- Various articles, beginning with one purely on the stock game (this would be close to a review of the stock game)
- Since each article will be limited in size, we can go fairly in-depth on actual gameplay aspects to make one article on one gameplay aspect
- This also means we'll have lots of articles to post, which would mean prolonged interest
- Lots of seperate articles means that different people could each prepare part of these articles, so nobody has to do it all

Wikipedia:
- Probably need to update the stock game's page and fix the errors on there
- Possibly add a short write-up of the Build mod on the stock game page, but for more information refer to:
- A seperate page on "Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons"
- The seperate page will include an introduction on the History of the Build Mod, including what was done in earlier editions
- The information here needs to only give a brief overview of the main Build Mod features and shouldn't go in-depth on anything
- There need to be some pictures, but only a few on the most major changes
- Can include write-ups on the various storylines, especially where they are based on real history, movies, books or TV series
- In fact, we could include additions on the historical/movie/book/TV series' pages that reference back to our modding work
Imagine the Bartolomeu o Portugues page mentioning that he has been included in a modpack for the Pirates of the Caribbean game?
And the Hornblower and Pirates of the Caribbean book/film/TV series pages can also contain such a reference
- Links required to the PiratesAhoy! Forums, the PiratesAhoy! Wiki, our ModDB page and the RumAndGrapeshot YouTube channel

New Horizons Manual:
- I think the Manual will probably NOT need to be all-inclusive, but does need to mention the important gameplay elements,
as well as keyboard controls and menu functions that beginning players will need to know about.
- If we make it too extensive, people will not read it or if they do start, they won't finish it.
Needs to be short and to-the point.
- The feature-based write-up can be located AFTER the gameplay-based write-up that we already have, courtesy of Snow White Sorrow.
After all, the gameplay-based part is a much more fun read and will hopefully encourage people to want to know more about the game,
thus getting them to either read the rest of the feature write-ups there-after
or looking through the PiratesAhoy! Wiki section to look up the specifics on various aspects of the game.
- There will need to be an introduction here on the stock game and Build mod history
There already is, but once this project is well underway, we might be able to expand this (pending on Snow White Sorrow's and Thagarr's opinion on the matter)
- Outside the Introduction and History, I think we do NOT need to mention here any chances vs. the original game or earlier mods.
We just need to mention how THIS edition works.

Ingame Tutorial:
- I like Morgan Terror's idea of an ingame Tutorial Storyline
- If so, it should be the Standard storyline, so if you just press "Start" without any adjustments, you'll get into the tutorial
- This will ensure that new players will get the main features laid down for them on a silver platter
- We need to mention EVERYTHING here that players might not be aware of (Changing Flags, for example) or would be likely to complain about (BuildingSet and Sidestep!)
- To make sure that people do play this through, we'll need to make it worth their while.
We can do this by shaping the tutorial in a story-form with some easy, but cool action scenes in it, such as swordfights and ship battles.
Humour and weird fun stuff could also help. We need to keep their attention for sure!!!

- RANDOM IDEA: Add some quizzes to check that people understand what is being presented to them
To prevent this from being (too?) annoying, we could make it so that you don't NEED to give the correct answer to progress
Additionally, maybe if you DO give a correct answer, you might get to hear a "secret" or "hidden feature" in return
These could include: How to find Hendrick Vanderdecken, the trick of renaming your ship so you won't be be remembered and Clint Eastwood with his shotgun
(Any comments? Bad idea? Almost good idea? Further thoughts?)

Basically Section 2 on the Wiki should be the most comprehensive overview of the full modding work.
This means that we could start with this and then take that content and post what is applicable on the other places where we want to mention the Build features.
So we'll make one full document and then copy/paste for all other purposes.

Also, I'm wondering if maybe we could do away with any major mention of features in the Manual/Gameplay Guide that we already have.
Instead we could just link through to the Wiki for more information.
Though probably there is some simple things that do need to go in the Manual,
such as Build Default Controls, Options Menu, New Game choices and the various ingame menu's.

Thank for catching that, Bartolomeu! I wasn't sure which of the two it was anymore... :?

And thanks to you as well, Talisman! Certainly that will be added to the list.
I didn't actually do anything on the land-related things yet,
but I am working my way through the various Build mod documentation
and slowly adding everything into my file. :yes

Too much silence in this thread does NOT work wonders on my enthusiasm to continue.
Come ON people, I'm not actually asking much. Yet. Just feedback.
And maybe a little bit of cooperation so I don't have to do EVERYTHING myself.
It's a big damn task, but only if one person has to do it on his onesy.
In addition to working 10 hours a day or more on a cruiseship!!!

I just downloaded your latest file Pieter, I'll give it a good read and give you some feedback when I get the chance. So far, I think your suggestions are right on the money, and I agree completely! believe me, I understand exactly what you mean about the overwhelming amount of information! I'll do what I can to give you a hand mate! I'll probably be working overtime for at least another month though. :facepalm

No problem, mate. I won't ever ask for anyone to do more than he/she can or wants to do. :no

Well, well. One week later and there's at least some comments.
A few more and I might actually get some enthusiasm to continue again. :whipa

I'm also still waiting on some comments on my mega-post of the 2nd of February.
I am really not going to do everything myself, so unless I get some support,
it is going to take forever before it's done. No support = no enthusiasm = no work done!!!

It's still faaaar from being complete, but it does look quite cool already!
I'm looking forward to the day it's finished and we'll have some thorough Build documentation at last.

I added the following to my file as per Captain Iglo's suggestions:
• FUTURE: Encounter ship-to-ship battles in progress in DirectSail
• FUTURE: Add various shipboard events in DirectSail

Back