• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Extreme difficult missions

Yes that could be the reason but it´s hard to be shure about that. Maybe it would be better to avoid slave quests before playing the Caleuche because it´s made as good as the main storyline in my opinion and has the ghostship and important personal skills as reward in the end.

Last edited:
Yes I started it mainly just to get the ghost ship :rofl

but now since i have the slave trader quest bug and can't remove it, I'm gonna have to rely on my heavy galleon:
speed 13.3 (Im sailing it @ 14 somehow, not sure how) with about 580 crew at full, and 5800 cargo.

Are you shure that your are using a heavy galleon and not a heavy frigate? Because your speed and crew values look more like the ones from a heavy frigate and they are the better ships anyway in my opinion.

BTW: I´m only waiting for the release of the final expansion of Charles´s story at the 15th of this month to start my next playthrough at Christmas. Hohoho :xmas

speed 13.3 (Im sailing it @ 14 somehow, not sure how)

Your current speed rating can be somewhat higher than your ship's max speed rating due to high navigation skill and some perks and possibly crew sailing skill. These numbers aren't necessarily mathematically precise.

If you're getting an actual speed of 14 knots then you're using my mod to increase wind speed. :) Without the mod you'd be lucky to hit half that.

Hook

Your current speed rating can be somewhat higher than your ship's max speed rating due to high navigation skill and some perks and possibly crew sailing skill. These numbers aren't necessarily mathematically precise.

If you're getting an actual speed of 14 knots then you're using my mod to increase wind speed. :) Without the mod you'd be lucky to hit half that.

Hook

How do you determine actual ship speed, opposed to one displayed. We two bantered about it a time ago - with combination of perks, high skill ratings, and hidden completionist bonuses a certain light xebec flies like a motorboat...

Also, *insert snobbery here*, playing Very Hard, for it higher story quest rewards and general feeling of not beating kindergarten pupils at higher levels here. No complaints.
Maybe only to dev`s approach to 'hardcore' - when it means crossing archipelago in 3 days of having n of some junk item to progress an epic story quest. And levelcap restrictions on quest. Some few make sense, better part does not.
Eh.

Im playing the vanilla version on Steam, but the speed says 14/13.3

And yes I'm driving a heavy galleon, not frigate.

Frigate will never give you more than 400 crew.

Too bad my galleon only has 46 cannon; would be more efficient if it had 50 or more.

That´s exactly the point. I don´t think that so much crew is the most important thing because you can kill most of the enemies crews before boarding. I think that the speed and the amount of canons is much more important in TEHO. At least for me a heavy frigate was always very helpful during the difficult quests.

Attachments

• Heavy Frigate.jpg
    Heavy Frigate.jpg
    822.5 KB · Views: 285
Yea frigates are not bad, I'm just trying to find the perfect one to keep.
I had an amazing one but I lost in the Dutch gambit ... I make the same mistake always :D

If you can ever manage to find an amazing one again, please tell me how and join a screenshot with me. I´m always interested in good ones.

So far the best heavy frigate I found was a speed 14.7 with 5400 HP, 340 crew (as shown on stats, once full perhaps 380-390), 50 32lbers cannons, and 5200 cargo space.

The crew was rather low so I didn't go for it. But if you want a nice little suggestion, autosave then autoreload in the shipyard. But here is how you do it:

BEFORE you open dialog, auto save, then speak to shipyard man and see the ships available. Keep reloading until you find something you like!

I also do this for taverns, except I stand outside the tavern without visiting it for the first time upon my arrival to a port. Then autosave, then enter tavern and keep reloading until I find treasure pirates or appropriate officers.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for governor missions, but it does sometimes give you alternate destinations for one mission only: Sneaking in cities. Can be Caracas, Havana, etc.
All other missions, you can keep reloading all you want but it won't change a thing!

Bankers, street merchants, and shop owners also before you open dialog for the first time, you can save then reload to show different varieties and amounts.

I also do this for bounty hunters who are too strong for me, keep reloading until I can choose the middle option successfully and have them mistake me for someone else!

Im playing the vanilla version on Steam, but the speed says 14/13.3

My current ship is 18.19 / 15.89. Perks for Speed Increase and Skilled Seafarer. Max crew sailing skill. Max navigation skill with a Fisherman's amulet. Lightly loaded. I have always eventually seen a current speed rating above max.

The ability to actually hit that speed is dependent on the wind speed. I don't remember the exact number, but I think at one point you would hit max current speed with a wind speed of 22 knots. If the wind speed was higher, you could exceed max current speed.

In tactical sailing mode it looks like you are going the indicated speed when you're on deck. In dynamic sailing mode it looks like about twice that speed and the numbers used by the game to calculate your movement use 2.5x. A class 3 ship sails at "normal" speed, while larger ships sail faster in higher winds and smaller ships sail faster in lower winds, with the average wind speed calculated by the game.

Typical vanilla winds are 4-15 knots with occasional extremes of 2-18 knots and your ship speed can vary from about 20% of the wind speed to a bit above the wind speed depending on your current speed rating and direction of the wind.

Hook

Reactions: A.H
So far the best heavy frigate I found was a speed 14.7 with 5400 HP, 340 crew (as shown on stats, once full perhaps 380-390), 50 32lbers cannons, and 5200 cargo space.

The crew was rather low so I didn't go for it. But if you want a nice little suggestion, autosave then autoreload in the shipyard. But here is how you do it:

BEFORE you open dialog, auto save, then speak to shipyard man and see the ships available. Keep reloading until you find something you like!

I also do this for taverns, except I stand outside the tavern without visiting it for the first time upon my arrival to a port. Then autosave, then enter tavern and keep reloading until I find treasure pirates or appropriate officers.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for governor missions, but it does sometimes give you alternate destinations for one mission only: Sneaking in cities. Can be Caracas, Havana, etc.
All other missions, you can keep reloading all you want but it won't change a thing!

Bankers, street merchants, and shop owners also before you open dialog for the first time, you can save then reload to show different varieties and amounts.

I also do this for bounty hunters who are too strong for me, keep reloading until I can choose the middle option successfully and have them mistake me for someone else!

In these cases we are both playing in exactly the same way. ;)

Yes I often get sudden wind changes and goes down to 2 or 3. Sucks when you are being chased :rofl

Seriously I try not to be offensive, but if you just play missions for a minute you will break your computer... for this game alone I had to buy 2 new mouse..
Anyhow I witnessed more crap during this mission which no need to mention since I will complain to God about my miseries.

Thanks for listening, and may you never experience such frustrations !
Next time you should buy a "rat" instead of a "mouse". That`s the stronger type of "animal" and can withstand more damage!! :walkplankHA HA HA!!! :rofl

You are welcome! In my 7th playthrough of the game i reached Justice Island right now with excellent health and felt back to bad health. But normaly that shouldn´t be a reason to do die as my health already felt back to terrible when i got sunk by the ghostship in the previous playthrough´s and even then i had enough time to drink 3 bottles of Tears of Ixchel to recvover. Strange :confused:
Congratulations to your 7th gameplay!! You must have nerves like "iron"!! :thumbs1

@A.H

Well done! Your are definitely a real good fighter then. :guns:

This was one of the situations which i warned you about in my previous posts. I don´t want to imagine how that hell works in Hard mode. :facepalm

Gird your loins! From now on the game will get harder and harder till the end.

BTW: The Fortune is the best frigate of the whole game, you should keep and use it when required.

EDIT: Today was the first time in 7 playthroughs of TEHO that i could manage to capture the Man`O´War with my Heavy Frigate in Normal mode during the defending of Saint Pierre and both ships had a minimum hull left. xD
Congrats to you!! :thumbs1

To be fair, CoaS had it's fair share of bullshitting hard missions as well. And I'm not even talking about those stupid "Find a pixel-sized object in an undefined part of the jungle"-quests.

No, it's that story mission where you are assaulting a Spanish city on the land together with other pirate captains and on your way back to the ship, you are ambushed by a huge force with musketeers, which will one- or two-shot you. So your only chance is to run past them somehow.
do you mean the classic of the usurer? don't tell me I lost my sight for that damned emerald, ruby and diamond ...

Back