• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Enigma: Rising Tide now FREEWARE!

Stallion

Sea Dog
Public Relations
To those of you who are members on the SUBSIM forums, this is probably old news, but the head of the development studio which created Enigma: Rising Tide, known as "East" on the forum, released the Gold Edition of the game for free download. The Gold Edition is STARFORCE FREE! Anotherwords, it works on Vista and 7. :woot

The game met with a sad end thanks to the work of a turkey of a publisher and the unfortunate presence of StarForce on the original, standard edition of the game. Interest in the game picked up after the possibility of an expansion popped up, but advance sales did not meet expectation and so the expansion never came to fruition. Those who liked Enigma (like me), liked it A LOT. There was also supposed to be a second game in development, but the company which bought the developers sadly folded before it was released. More on Enigma: RT can be found here: http://en.wikipedia....ma:_Rising_Tide

The topic on Enigma's freeware release in the SUBSIM forums can be found here: http://www.subsim.co...ad.php?t=156626

The download (since the original link is toast) can be gotten from here: http://games.on.net/...ide_Full_Client

Note: The file is NOT a .rar file, but an .iso file - you need to rename it as such before attempting to use it. You can either burn it onto a disc using something like ISObuster or mount it in a virtual drive from a program like DaemonTools and install it from there.

I read about it and dowloaded, looks interesting, will play sometime. Can you write a short gamer experience so I can get some more information about it?

Sure, but my memories of it are a little foggy since I last played it about five years ago. Hope I get everything right. xD:

The game is an alternate history of WWI, where this time Germany won, taking over much of Europe and starving England into submission via continuous submarine warfare. The US is looking out for its own interests primarily, with expansion as a major goal. Japan is allied with the British Royal Navy in exile, and busies itself taking pot shots at the German and American war machines.

The player could take control of all manner of surface ships, and submarines. I think aircraft can be piloted too, but am not sure on that one. The HUD for everything was basically the same, with the health bar being the best indicator of damage to your vessel. Visual damage didn't take into account where you were hit.

It's basically a simplified naval simulator, so you mostly just point and shoot. You can also issue voice commands provided you've got a microphone, which I always thought was the best part of the whole game. The enemy and friendly AI could be a bit wonky at times though, especially with aircraft - kamikaze runs on one's own nations' vessels are pretty common.

Sound wise, everything was good except for deck guns, which sound suspiciously like clogged pea shooters. Background music was pretty sweet, with a nice, thunderous orchestral score to get you in the mood. Voice commands and feedback from your officers? Zilch - it's all in text that pops up at what is usually the worst possible moments: "Sir!" "Not now! I'm trying to wipe out that sub!" "Sir! We're sinking!!" "I SAID...what...what!?!"

The biggest gripe I had with the game was the lack of aircraft carriers and no random mission generator. I think the Gold Edition has the generator in it, but I don't know.

Top game moment: Playing a sub commander in the middle of the night, room light off, bathed in the eerie red glow of the sub's interior lights, with the speakers up full blast, and hearing a torpedo from the enemy sub hunting me scrape along the entire side of my hull. Scared the livin' crap outta me. :cheeky

Rather interesting, always wanted a WW1 game, and for once with "bad" side! This lessens the time due for me to install :D

Actually, may not be bad side, I am still to check...

Great I played as Germans, however I expected something better as user interface, and I can't destroy subs with my ship no matter what.

Yeah, the interface isn't that great. xD: Seems there's no random mission generator either, unless I missed it.

Back