• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Different Shipyard Sale Prices for Naval Officers/Privateers

@A.H: While your OWN ship does sell for maximum money, it still shouldn't sell for more than the purchase value.

Well what I experienced was a good amount of sell price for non pirated ships.. they were not shown as pirated since I have a LOM.. which makes all ships you capture (which you captured from LOM's enemy nations) can be considered original and sold for much higher than pirated...

Would be nice to see all ships captured to be sold as pirated and ships bought from shipyard to be considered original.. just for consideration of increasing difficulty in acquiring money in this game.. the harder it is to make money.. the more fun and effort we put in the gameplay :D

And if you think that's bad, remember that a privateer operating under a LoM will need to switch to paying by division of plunder so he won't get to accumulate all that money.

The same is not true for a naval officer. You probably don't want to see how much money I had by the time I finished the last playthrough of "Hornblower". :wp

The current system, if I understand correctly, is that a ship which you own (either it was yours at the start of the quest or you bought it from a shipyard) will sell for maximum price; a pirated ship will sell for maximum or near maximum price if you have joined the Pirate nation (not the same as merely using a Pirate flag and having "served nation" Pirate); a legally captured ship (e.g. under a LoM) will sell for a reduced price; and a pirated ship when you have not signed up to Pirate nation will sell for least. The fraction of the full price which you get for selling these various grades of ships could perhaps be reduced - even if you're selling your own ship, you wouldn't get full price for it, partly because the shipyard will want to sell it on and make a profit, and partly because you're selling it as a second-hand ship.

Well what I experienced was a good amount of sell price for non pirated ships.. they were not shown as pirated since I have a LOM.. which makes all ships you capture (which you captured from LOM's enemy nations) can be considered original and sold for much higher than pirated...
If you have a LoM, you sell for 50% of the sale price. And skills don't affect the sale price either. So that makes for pretty good going.

Pirated ships should indeed sell for crappy prices. UNLESS you officially join the pirates.
That becomes REALLY profitable, because then you sell your ships for the same price as if they were your own.
Profitable! :shock

Would be nice to see all ships captured to be sold as pirated and ships bought from shipyard to be considered original.. just for consideration of increasing difficulty in acquiring money in this game.. the harder it is to make money.. the more fun and effort we put in the gameplay :D
You mean to not have a "price bonus" when you get a LoM?
Simplest thing to do is to reduce this value in InternalSettings.h:
Code:
#define SHIPYARD_BOUGHTSHIP_SELL_MULT   0.90   // FLOAT - SY_RPG_STYLE - multiplier to sell price for a LEGIT ship (one you bought originally)
That reduces the maximum sale price in general.

And if you think that's bad, remember that a privateer operating under a LoM will need to switch to paying by division of plunder so he won't get to accumulate all that money.
True. Only a problem if you start "hoarding" your money though.
And "Divide the Plunder" mode can make for some additional interest too, so not necessarily a bad thing.

The same is not true for a naval officer. You probably don't want to see how much money I had by the time I finished the last playthrough of "Hornblower". :wp
That doesn't get offset by the fact you still have to buy provisions then?
Seems a bit silly for naval officers to be able to get rich quick and easy.
But how to prevent that?

The current system, if I understand correctly, is that a ship which you own (either it was yours at the start of the quest or you bought it from a shipyard) will sell for maximum price; a pirated ship will sell for maximum or near maximum price if you have joined the Pirate nation (not the same as merely using a Pirate flag and having "served nation" Pirate); a legally captured ship (e.g. under a LoM) will sell for a reduced price; and a pirated ship when you have not signed up to Pirate nation will sell for least. The fraction of the full price which you get for selling these various grades of ships could perhaps be reduced - even if you're selling your own ship, you wouldn't get full price for it, partly because the shipyard will want to sell it on and make a profit, and partly because you're selling it as a second-hand ship.
Confirmed.

In the end, the code for this became relatively simple:
Code:
  // PB: Method of acquiring ship influences sale price -->
   // Inspired by TIH's rpgstyle shipyard (Jul27'06)
   float sellMult = SHIPYARD_SHIP_SELL_MULT;                                   // 0.30 with SY RPG Style OFF
   if ( SY_RPG_STYLE ) {
     switch (ShipAcquiredState(arCurShip))
     {
       case "bought":
         sellMult = SHIPYARD_BOUGHTSHIP_SELL_MULT;                             // 0.90 for ship bought from a shipyard
         break;
       case "taken":
         sellMult = makefloat(((SHIPYARD_PIRATEDSHIP_SELL_MULT+SHIPYARD_BOUGHTSHIP_SELL_MULT)/2));     // 0.50 for legal prize ship
         Charmod  = 1.0;                                           // Levis: Professional Navy and LoM pay commission, but are not affected by skills
         break;
       case "pirated":
         if (IsInServiceOf(PIRATE))   sellMult = SHIPYARD_BOUGHTSHIP_SELL_MULT;               // 0.90 for pirated ships if you have joined the pirates
         else             sellMult = SHIPYARD_PIRATEDSHIP_SELL_MULT;               // 0.10 for pirated ships if you haven't
         break;
     }
   }
   // PB: Method of acquiring ship influences sale price <--
With these #defines:
Code:
#define SHIPYARD_SHIP_SELL_MULT       0.30   // FLOAT - multiplier to sell price for ship - non rpgstyle shipyards
#define SHIPYARD_BOUGHTSHIP_SELL_MULT   0.90   // FLOAT - SY_RPG_STYLE - multiplier to sell price for a LEGIT ship (one you bought originally)
#define SHIPYARD_PIRATEDSHIP_SELL_MULT   0.10   // FLOAT - SY_RPG_STYLE - multiplier to sell price for a PIRATED ship (one you acquired through an unrespectable act) - sale prices for legal prize ships are halfway between this and BOUGHTSHIP_SELL_MULT

Reactions: A.H
From the books i been reading recently on actual pirate reports; particularly in the Caribbean region.. most pirates didn't even have enough money to repair their sails :rofl
a lot considered it as a business investment, and a great number of pirate "entrepreneurs" failed miserably.. dying of hunger on thirst in the middle of the seas..

Also read recently that the average plunder is basic material such as cloth, foods, building material, etc. a very very few pirates ever scored nice loot as was done by Piet Hein, Francis Drake, and whichever other lucky chief made their name on the list. An interesting fellow i read about recently.. plundered the personal ship of a Mughal emperor and captured a treasure full including a harem of virgins inside the ship's cabin.. what a lucky prick :modding

Henry Every - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ps. didn't know which thread to post these fun facts :eek:

Back