• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Debacle at San Juan de Ulloa

For those few that may be interested, editing is finished on this story and there are new illustrations that will be going up on flickr soon. With the publisher I had negotiated with changing our agreement, I backed out, so unless I find another publisher, this may go Kindle book very soon.

MK

I would certainly buy it in book form. I've always had trouble sitting in front of the computer for long periods of time in the same position while reading uploaded novels.

I finally got round to reading this story over the past few days, and I must say that I genuinely enjoyed every bit of it.

I found it to be very well paced, and really liked the description and action sequences. MK, your historical expertise really shines through here, in even the tiniest details.
The way the story flows is brilliant, from the tension building up to the battle, to the devastating aftermath of the event, and I felt immersed throughout.
I was moved by your description of the aftermath, which provided a stark reminder of how bloody and horrific the battles were in this era. Too often I think this is missed out in other stories.

In addition, I liked the way Hawkins was portrayed, and thought the inclusion of dreams to explain his feelings was really effective.
I was also surprisingly interested in the descriptions of the ships. Although I prefer eighteenth century ships in general, I think reading this story has made me appreciate older vessels a bit more.

Overall, it was definitely a read worth my time. I would highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't yet read it, even those who have little interest in the era, because the story is very well written.

P.S. I'm just wondering, did you ever manage to get this story published?

I am absolutely flattered Armada. Thank you so very much for the kind words. :bow

So perhaps with both you AND Hylie in the fan club now, I will start posting again.

No I have not had time to pursue getting them published yet. Been too busy. It was a real let-down when I got dropped from the first publisher. I think the religious content was too heavy for them. My meaning was never to proselytize, but to make the reader understand in a very "in your face" way the extreme religious views that my characters had historically. I think I show all sides fairly well.

There is a scene in the Piet Heyn story where I actually take the reader to the King of Spain's chapel while he is praying.

After all there is an old saying that.... "history is naught but wars and religion"

One cannot truly understand history unless one understands the motivations of the subject's beliefs. These days however, folks just seem to be WAY too afraid to venture there. Very unfortunate. MK

That's a shame about the publishing. If it's really down to the religious references, that seems a bit silly to me.
I'm not a religious person myself, but it doesn't bother me at all that it plays a large part in the story. As you say, it's part of the history, and crucial to understanding some of the characters' motives.

The times were portrayed well. The Inquisition lasted for over 600 years and the killing of Christians by other Christians only stopped when governments got strong enough to go after the murderers in the 1800's. Depending on whom one chooses to believe the number of victims varied from merely a few tens of thousands to over 3 million men, women, and children.

And then there was the slavery.................There were no good guys.

Back