• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Day cycle seems speed up during direct sailing

Wolf93

Powder Monkey
Good evening, lads. This may probably be not a bug, but I found it to be quite amusing; I won't say I researched it thoroughly in the forums (mainly because I didn't know what terms to use), but couldn't find anything about it, except InternalSettings.h editing (more below).

Basically, the "bug" consists of the following: when sailing by yourself (i.e., not using the World Map), I've noticed that for every hour (or two bells), one day passes! To be more clear, let's say I set sail the August 18th at 8:00. Now, I want to meet some totally-not-shady gentlemen in a near beach, one sails directly, no need of pesky maps. So, once we hit 9:00 on the clock, the Earth must rotate really fast, since apparently now it's August 19th!

All of this happened with the latest Beta 4.1, plus fixes and etc, in Realistic mode. As I commented to Mr. Boelen, maybe it's an intended feature to make direct sailing more... difficult? The only other thing that I can think of, is that maybe I broke something while touching the InternalSettings.h and NK.c.

I barely edited the TIMESCALARs (and by barely I mean from 10 to 2 in land, for example). Funnily enough, I didn't edit TIMESCALAR_SEA. I'll upload the files anyways if you want to check something out. I could also upload the .logs too, although I kept playing a little after I noticed this, so I'd have to do more sailing for it to show up. :wp

Attachments

• NK.c
    197.9 KB · Views: 157
  • InternalSettings.h
    69.2 KB · Views: 165
This is indeed intentional, because the scale in 3D Sailing Mode does not match with the WorldMap.
If this weren't done, then you could sail to another island using the map in several days, while the same trip would take only hours of you do it in DirectSail.
This is why the "add one day for every hour" was added to get both methods of travel more in line.

An alternate fix is to adjust the scale of 3D Sailing Mode.
You can do this by enabling the Open Sea Mod at the top of InternalSettings.h .
Warning: DirectSail trips between islands will take a LOT more real time of you do that.
But you can give it a try and see if you like it better. :doff

Conversely, if you don't want each hour to be a new day while sailing round an island, you can press '0' to disable Direct Sail. Of course, if you've done that, you won't be able to get to another island except via Worldmap, and you'll get frequent on-screen reminders that you've disabled DirectSail.

It's also worth doing this if you've just won a sea battle and there are some surrendered ships waiting to be boarded. One of the most annoying things that can happen is that a nice big merchant ship has surrendered, you're sailing towards it to plunder it - then you get "Land Ho!", you're near a different island, and the ship has disappeared. :modding

Good point, @Grey Roger! :onya

Do you reckon those on-screen messages are needlessly annoying?
It would be easy to switch those off. :yes

They're not all that annoying, and on occasion have been useful in reminding me to re-enable DirectSail after I've disabled it for one of the above reasons.

Back