• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Dawn of Discovery AKA Anno 1404

Keith

Raping the Horses and Stealing the Women!
Staff member
Administrator
Dawn-of-Discovery_PC_ESRBboxart_160w.jpg Dawn of Discovery is the latest game in the classic Anno seriesreleased back in June, the European version is referred to as Anno1404. Why Ubisoft felt a name change was necessary for the westernmarket is beyond me. Anyway, I posted this on the forum a while back,but I thought I would go ahead and post it on the front page for thosethat missed it. I had posted a lot about this game on the forum earlierthis year, I'm a big fan of the Anno series of games and I was reallylooking forward to this one, but when I found out about the draconiancopy protection included with the original release of this game Ipretty much gave up on it. Back at the end of October, Ubisoft releasedan official patch for this game fixing a few bugs and completelyremoving the TAGES copy protection!

Ubisoft Quietly Removes Tages From Dawn Of Discovery - Disc Version ONLY
Wednesday, 28 October 2009 04:58
Written By Ulysses Mockett

The news wasn't official nor mentioned in its vast technical log, butthe latest 200 MB patch released by Ubisoft on 7th October 2009 camewith a nice addition of removing the activation element for Anno 1404,or Dawn of Discovery for the Disc Version Only. It's a welcoming signby Ubisoft to reward current and interested fans of theMedieval/Oriental/Arabian RTS franchise by sunsetting Tages, a movewhich was also welcomed with open arms by CD Projekt and theirmedieval-fantasy RPG, The Witcher.

The 1.1 patch, along with its extensive elaboration on their fixes andalterative download spots, can be found on their official website.There is also a link on Tage's official website where gamers candownload their DRM removal tool should there be issues with theDRM-removal process through the 1.1 patch. Any issues or queriesrelating to Anno: 1404 in general can be found at the onlyEnglish-speaking Anno forum Ubisoft has to offer.

Please note that the patch doesn't work for the Downloaded versions...Only for the Disc Version.
I have since purchased the game and Iwill do a full review of it after I have had some time to play it, buthere are a few of my first impressions. The graphics are fantastic! Thegame it's self really looks beautiful, although some aspects do have abit of a cartoonish feel. The musical score is also very well done, youdon't find this kind of professional production in a lot of videogames, and it is welcome indeed! The "manual", if one can even call itthat, is absolutely pathetic! While I can understand that you can'tinclude a 200 page book in a DVD case, there is absolutely no excusefor not having a full electronic version of the manual included on theDVD! The included insert barely even covers the basics of the game, letalone any kind of basic description of units or buildings and whatthere functions are. You are left to discover these things foryourself, or shell out $20 for the Prima strategy guide. I expected abit more for my $50! More to come when I get the chance.

You can download the patch and find out more about the game on the official web pager HERE!

the reason why there's no manual is because the information is all in the game itself. it really just throws all kinds of help at you, but the buildings usually require common sense in terms of what they do, or just trial and error.

The Anno series is notorious for having incomplete manuals . I remember playing 1503AD for months before I even new there were hot keys ,or what they were . Finally my brother stumbled onto them at gamespot . After that the game was much easier . Being then able to slow down or speed up the game was the biggest help. Still I have always enjoyed these games . I look forward to playing 1404 .However I'll wait 'til its cheaper . Never again will I pay $50 for a game . I've been disappointed to many times .

I've been disappointed to many times .

You got that right.

And strategy guides? Give me a break. I wouldn't pay $20 for something written in the style of an elementary school student.

Mates,

My ADD attention span has me jumping back and forth often. Besides COAS and POTC, I also play ETW, MTW II-Deus Lo Vult6.2, and the Anno Series (primarily 1404/Dawn of Discovery and 1503). I've been playing 1404 since it came out. Agree about the learning curve, and the stunning graphics, and believe there's a certain degree of satisfaction you get from playing a civ builder/economy/trader game that you can't get from our general pirates fare. I would love to see some of the economy and civ builder options available in future Sea Dogs pedigree offerings (maybe some future Storm mods). I was hoping EIC would offer the perfect balance, but it was just a huge disappointment. :urgh

So not to repeat myself, there was some fairly active discussions of the Anno series a few months ago here: http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?/topic/14914-anno-series/page__hl__anno%20 ;)

MK

ADD is a misnomer for a dynamic personality; a term coined by irresponsible parents and ignorant doctors of questionable objectivity. Don't let it get to you.

Thanks SWS, I find I have more energy than most, create more, have more hobbies, interests, and cram everything I can into a single day. I average 6 hours sleep a night. I don't see it as a curse, but a blessing. Betcha DaVinci was ADD. ;)

MK

I average 6 hours sleep a night.

I used to have such a routine for years on end I believe; still do, actually, when I'm interested in something (hint, WBT).

Back