• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Dauntless and Interceptor Texture Upgrades

You'll have to wait for Legendary Spider to reappear, finish the texture, and upload it. He was last online in November, though. :unsure

Hey guys! I'm sorry I was gone for so long. I broke my laptop and was unable to play the game. And then I was homeless for a month. But I have a roof over my head again along with a new laptop and I'm ready to jump back in the game and contribute again. :onya

I sure did miss it here. Sorry I wasn't around to get those textures done for the update. I hope to be apart of this again.

I'll have to restart this from scratch. The computer I was doing all the texture work on died. I don't have any of the tools anymore or any of my saved work.

@Legendary_Spider: Good to see you again... again! :cheeky
It's been quite a while; I hope life has been treating you well.

I don't even remember what tools I need, where to get them, or how I did it. lol I need to relearn it.

@Legendary_Spider: Good to see you again... again! :cheeky
It's been quite a while; I hope life has been treating you well.

Thanks. It has been a while. Life's been decent I suppose. I got a steady job now. Right now I'm just gonna start off simple and work on that music pack,which I'll need to completely overhaul when the 5th movie comes out.

No worries, @Legendary_Spider; anything you can do will as always be much appreciated! :cheers

I'll do what I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
The model looks accurate for the most part, when compared to the real ship. That's actually the Lady Washington in her natural state, but it's still mostly the same except for a bit on the stern and the coloring.

So I've been a busy bug. On top of the Dutchman and the music, I've been picking up @Armada's old request for the Interceptor.

I've made the lion figurehead better quality. Put high res planks of the proper color on the sides, and some high res stern decoration. Just ignore that the old design is still visible beneath it. Haven't gotten that far yet. But this is my progress so far.

That lion was pain . . . You have no idea. :modding

ebookreader_4102016_24259_AM.png

ebookreader_4102016_24323_AM.png

ebookreader_4102016_24343_AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've been a busy bug. On top of the Dutchman and the music, I've been picking up @Armada's old request for the Interceptor.
Wow, you're taking up a LOT of work! As much as I appreciate your efforts, please take care not to tackle too much at the same time.
I wouldn't want you to get burned out from having too much on your plate. :doff

I've made the lion figurehead better quality.
[...]
That lion was pain . . . You have no idea. :modding
It also looks absolutely stunning! That is really a substantial improvement. :onya

Put high res planks of the proper color on the sides, and some high res stern decoration. Just ignore that the old design is still visible beneath it. Haven't gotten that far yet. But this is my progress so far.
Wow, her "warmer" colour scheme has returned! I really like the look of that. :woot

Wow, you're taking up a LOT of work! As much as I appreciate your efforts, please take care not to tackle too much at the same time.
I wouldn't want you to get burned out from having too much on your plate. :doff

What? Me? That doesn't seem like something I would do . . . :wp

Here's more work on the interceptor. Almost done with the stern. Couldn't find any decent photos of the windows, so I hand painted them myself. Gave the glass some shadow to make the frame pop out. Turns out the windows were yellow this whole time. My wrist hurts now. lol :rumgone

One minor note to @Armada about accuracy, she has no stern cannons in the film. I don't know if they were overlooked or added for gameplay purposes like the Pearl.

ebookreader_4102016_85458_PM.png

Last edited:
She looks great!

I seem to remember asking modelers to add bow and stern chasers whenever possible, regardless of accuracy.
In the game, not having them is quite a large inconvenience, I reckon.

She looks great!

I seem to remember asking modelers to add bow and stern chasers whenever possible, regardless of accuracy.
In the game, not having them is quite a large inconvenience, I reckon.

Ah. Well in that case, she needs a pair of bow chasers.

Ah. Well in that case, she needs a pair of bow chasers.
It was a REALLY long time ago that this model was made, so I'm really digging through my memory.
I have a very faint recollection that I did indeed ask for those, but the modeler tried and basically couldn't make them fit.
So we settled on stern chasers only.

But I'm not entirely sure if I am remembering that correctly....

It was a REALLY long time ago that this model was made, so I'm really digging through my memory.
I have a very faint recollection that I did indeed ask for those, but the modeler tried and basically couldn't make them fit.
So we settled on stern chasers only.

But I'm not entirely sure if I am remembering that correctly....

Sure looks like there's room, but I'm no modeller. Also, on the stern there's supposed to be a pair of swivel guns.

More progress:

ebookreader_4112016_124138_AM.png

These unpainted supports (circled below) need to be the same dark blue color as the railing above them. This requires someone to adjust the UV's so I can do that. No matter what ship she is playing, or if she's in her natural state, the Lady Washington always has these the same color as the railing and never unpainted.

ebookreader_4112016_124122_AM.png

You should probably start a "modeling wishlist" with some priorities listed.

Changes to the model require someone to do them. At the moment we have nobody who both has the time and knows how to do it.
@Armada has the knowledge, but not the time. And @Robert Nutter does want to get models into the game, but is still learning.

You should probably start a "modeling wishlist" with some priorities listed.

Changes to the model require someone to do them. At the moment we have nobody who both has the time and knows how to do it.
@Armada has the knowledge, but not the time. And @Robert Nutter does want to get models into the game, but is still learning.

The model itself is fine. The UV map just needs to be tweaked. Or maybe not. The UV map is technically fine. I just need those supports to be assigned to Interceptor.tga instead of delB.tga. Is there a way to do that without even needing to mess with the UV map?

The model itself is fine. The UV map just needs to be tweaked.
Any changes to the GM require the following:
1. Convert model to OBJ using GM Viewer
2. Import OBJ into Maya
3. Fix whatever went wrong in this export process
4. Make whatever adjustments are desired to the model file
5. Export again, with the correct settings so the new model will work just as well as the old one

Only exceptions are:
- HEX Editing the model to apply a different texture; this does not affect the UV map in any way
- Adding extra details using TOOL; as @Armada mentioned, these extra details can be affected by the "reverse lighting bug"

In other words, not a whole lot that can be done to the model itself without a LOT of extra work.

It would be far easier if we had the original Maya source files. But for most ships, we don't.

Back