• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Cutty Sark #reborn2sail

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
One of the models I built when I was a boy was an old Revell Cutty Sark kit. It was just plastic of course, and I really wasn't the best model builder, but building that model did really teach me a lot about ships. It also fueled my love for old sailing vessels, and history in general, and I went on to build several more models, but none had the same effect on me as that grand old Tea Clipper. She was the pinnacle of sailing technology at the time. She set several records in her day, but ultimately lost out to the steam engine.

When the real vessel caught fire and was badly damaged back in May 2007, I was heartbroken. To see such a beautiful ship charred burned, a careless welder doing what even time and steam competition had failed to do, breaking her spirit. She was, of course, restored back in 2012. If you can call it that a restoration, but she is a shadow of her former glory. I guess I just have a tough time letting go of the past.

I ran across this this morning however, there is a group of enterprising folks over on IndieGoGo that are currently holding a funding drive to build a replica of the great Cutty Sark!

Currently, they have only raised a little over $5,000 US of their $120,000 goal. They still have 18 days left in the campaign though, so there is still plenty of time to raise that kind of money. They are offering some cool swag, including a couple of different t-shirt designs. You can find out a great deal more about the project over on their IndieGoGo Campaign page!

Attachments

• CuttySark2.jpg
    CuttySark2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 41
Sadly, it appears this dream will not materialize any time soon, as there are only 54 hours remaining in the campaign as of this posting, and only 86 have people actually donated. :(

Back