• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

CTD Starting new game

Huskie

Landlubber
Hi all, got a bit nostalgic and decided to see how the POTC modding community had progressed in the past few years and I must say I'm very impressed.

Unfortunately my game doesn't seem to work. I haven't tried running it unmodded to see if the same thing happens, but I'm hoping there is some easy fix for this that won't require me uninstalling and reinstalling everything to run tests.
I installed the game then build 14 with the shader 2.0 option enabled and the option for integrated intel cards disabled, then ran runme.bat and after that installed patch 5. My OS is windows XP and my graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD5870.

Whenever I try to start a new game, the game will crash to desktop as soon as it is done loading. The only exception is when starting in Jack Sparrow's campaign, in which case it crashes after talking to Mr. Briggs in Tortuga's tavern.

I attached the compile.log and system.log files from one attempt at starting a game as Nathaniel Hawk.

Attachments

• system.log
    472 bytes · Views: 71
  • compile.log
    3.5 KB · Views: 67
Try installing without any of the additional options; you can always install those from the seperate installers on the ModDB afterwards.

Ok, I started installing build 14 and later patch 5 on top of the current installation. It worked. But then after installing patch 5 I installed that dungeon fix and it went back to CTDing, so I guess there's a hint of what's going wrong.

Am trying to install patch 5 back on top of it to see if it works.
Edit: nope, didn't work.

I just remembered that when it worked, I hadn't changed the mod's options. After changing auto-leveling and auto-skill point ditribution to manual the game started crashing, so that's the problem, i guess.

Edit 2: nope, setting them all back to defaults didn't help, either... I'm truly at a loss here. :modding

Can't hurt to install outside Program Files in any case; might apply to Windows XP Service Pack 2 as well. :shrug

Can't hurt to install outside Program Files in any case; might apply to Windows XP Service Pack 2 as well. :shrug

Like I said: it has always been in another folder. Also have SP3 installed.

I'm tryin to re-download build 14, since when i first downloaded my connection failed briefly in the middle of the download, but firefox resumed it, so my very last guess is that the download got corrupted somehow, but not enough to not be able to actually be install-able.

If that doesn't help, I guess I'm just giving up on this game.

Bad downloads happen. :modding If you think that might be your problem, then you might want to try this torrent. Torrents check the files as they are downloaded, so you have your best chance of getting a good dl with it. These are the files I am playing now and they seem ok so far.

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/16647-one-small-step-for-the-build/

Bad downloads happen. :modding If you think that might be your problem, then you might want to try this torrent. Torrents check the files as they are downloaded, so you have your best chance of getting a good dl with it. These are the files I am playing now and they seem ok so far.

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/16647-one-small-step-for-the-build/

Thanks.

I gave it a few more tries starting compaigns while the download isn't finished, and now it only seems Nathaniel Hawk's is bugged. It seems kind of random, I tried a few times and managed to have it load once, played a bit and saved, then remembered the dungeon fix and that it requires a new game, tried starting his campaign again and it's back to crashing. The other ones still seem to work though, but from what I've read none of them are finished, so I'd rather try playing Nathaniel's.

I find it very strange that only the "vanilla" campaign doesn't work (or at least less than the others, haven't managed to play much to evaluate how stable any of them are). Any idea what could be causing this?

EDIT: Ok, did a bit of additional sniffing around the forums and found some other people with the same problem. Apparently it's all because the descriptions of those two components on build 14's installation are mismatched. I'm uninstalling the game, and re-intalling it fresh and this time installing the mod selecting the the EBN option (which, from what I've seen should in fact be the 2.0 shaders option). If that doesn't work I'll try reinstalling without either. Still, I found it a bit surprising that there is no information, and apparently no option to uninstall New Horizons without uninstalling the game itself. That being said, I'm not sure if it's been suggested before, or if it's even possible to do, but maybe adding a checkbox on the installer to make a backup of the vanilla game's files, or some kind of uninstaller that only removes the mod and not the game itself could be useful.

Also, adding a warning on the FAQ page, or download page about the mixed up descriptions might be a good idea.

The only other things I can think of would be possibly ffdshow or DEP causing problems. I had to fix those a year ago by making exceptions.

Yes, those errors have been there for a year and should be fixed. It is common for new players to get caught there.

I've never had an install that died right at the start when brand new. When an install has started doing that I delete it and re-install. When I get a good install I also copy it so there is a back up if things go sour. That makes testing updates easier too.

Yeah the whole issue was indeed caused by installing 2.0 shaders for integrated intel cards, when I wanted to install the enhanced graphics.

It's working now, much better looking and much smoother than before.

Having a lot of fun with it now! :onya

We'll get that sorted when I get back home again, so somewhere in May probably; can't do it any sooner, unfortunately.

Back