• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed CTD After firing cannons

MatthewThePirate

EccentricMatthew
I installed the latest version of New Horizons, build 14 and the 2020 fix, on a fresh install of POTC, installed in my C drive. Ran perfectly fine, all features working.

However, when I fire my cannons at an enemy, my game crashes to desktop with no error message. However, when 'other' ships fire, the game remains to be fine.

I have no error log file, but I do have a compile log and system log, and my latest save game of just before I take a ship sinking mission from the governor.

I've linked my save in a public google drive, because for some reason the website is rejecting it as a "non approved file".

Save game: -=William=- Nevis. Townhall January 31st, 1600

System Specs:
Proccessor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8-core
16GB RAM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Attachments

• compile.log
    5 KB · Views: 243
  • system.log
    523 bytes · Views: 257
Last edited:
Saved games need to be zipped to get round rejection when uploading them.

I have tried your saved game and the cannons work OK in my game (no CTD) so it's difficult to suggest anything. :(

Have you tried F11 which I believe re-initializes cannons (as well as other things). There is also deleting the options file which sometimes reportedly clears weirdness (not that I'm a great believer in that). You are missing one cannon (not that that should/would cause the problem) but you could visit the shipyard and replace it (which again might clear a glitch in them).

Other than that .....

Tried all that, same problem.

The only thing I'll say is that I modded the wav files for the cannons as well, meaning I just replaced them with wave files from the GOF mod from AOP as I prefered them, but I can't see that crashing my game, and if it was a sound issue, you'd think the other ships firing would also crash the game.

Though it does seem unlikely that changing the sound files is crashing the game, see what happens if you put the original files back. If the game then does not crash, the sound files are the problem; if it still crashes even with the original files, the problem is elsewhere.

Though it does seem unlikely that changing the sound files is crashing the game, see what happens if you put the original files back. If the game then does not crash, the sound files are the problem; if it still crashes even with the original files, the problem is elsewhere.

Well aint that crazy.... it worked....

I wonder why that was the case.... other ships are fine with the new sounds, but not my own ship....

So, I've narrowed down which sound file it was and only one of them was the trouble maker. I replaced the file with another one of the modded sound files by copying and pasting, then renaming it accordingly, and it works perfectly. That one file must have been corrupt or something, causing the issue.

I tried your save as well and it's fine. Try running your game in compatibility mode Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and also run it as admin.

EDIT: Whoops, NVM. :rolleyes:

Though it does seem unlikely that changing the sound files is crashing the game
There are definitely types of sound files that CAN crash the game.
By saving them in a different way, those can still be made to work.
Perhaps @Jack Rackham knows the right encoding method to use?

No I don't remember what's the case when sound files don't work. It was so long time ago... :pirate07:

Usually if a sound file does not work, you don't hear anything and there's a message in "system.log". I've seen a few of those during routine checks of log files after a playing session.

We've definitely had the crashy kind in the past as well.
But it was quite some time ago.

Back