• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unconfirmed Bug Crash when going on board of own ship

Pan Imperator

Landlubber
The bug occurs a lot of times when I'm going on board of my ship. It happens when I'm using TO-THE-SHIP command or from port/shore.

Build Version: Sunday 17 July 2016
Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP

Attachments

• -=Thomas=- QuickSave.rar
    791 KB · Views: 139
  • compile.log
    152.2 KB · Views: 149
  • engine.ini
    35.2 KB · Views: 153
  • error.log
    960 bytes · Views: 155
  • system.log
    216 KB · Views: 156
Well I think it could be either your RAM or GPU which isnt enough. I remember with my old Laptop, which had about the same performance, I had very often crashes too with the big shipdeck. Since you sail a Trinity at the moment, it would fit, since it uses the big shipdeck there. Sadly, noone ever really know why it crashes there with low performance video cards.

The only solution I can think of is in PROGRAM/SHIPS/ships_init.c

Find:

Code:
    refShip.QDeck                = "ShipDeck3";

This code tells the game which deck is used by the shipmodell. The deck causing trouble for you is the ShipDeck3. Replace it e.g. with ShipDeck6. Those are the medium large decks used e.g. by the Pinnace-of-War.

To make this work ingame, you have to press F11 while ingame (not menu). And then you will have to give yourself your own ship again by console.

In /PROGRAM console.c

Code:
GiveShip2Character(pchar,"FR_Trinity","Trinity",-1,ENGLAND,true,true);

This will give your character a Trinity-Class, french modell, named Trinity and designed by England.

Paste the line under this block:

Code:
    ref pchar = GetMainCharacter();
    ref ch;
    int i;
    int limit;

After that, go ingame and press F12. There should be a log message "executed console". Now you have an "updated" Trinity which uses the smaller deck.

I did what you said. It changed the deck, but now it's even worse than before. Funny thing is, that before any changes game crashed ONLY when I was boarding. But I guess that the same things are loaded when you board your ship, moor, and go on deck while at sea. Am I right? If so, then why does it crash only when going from land to ship?

You say you are using Build Version: Sunday 17 July 2016. But "compile.log" says "Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP: 23 November 2016 Savegame Compatibility: 14.936", which is the hallmark of my post-28th July fixes. If you installed that on top of an earlier Build Version then I've no idea what will happen. It's supposed to be installed on top of the 28th July build version, available from here:
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP [Last Update: 23 sept] | PiratesAhoy!

"system.log" indicates that the game is having trouble loading a whole lot of texture files and several sound files. This also makes me suspicious of your installation. I'd be inclined to reinstall from scratch, preferably to a different folder if you have enough disk space to accommodate it. Start with a new install from CD, then install that 28th July Beta 4.1 onto it, and then copy in the post-28th July fixes. Make sure you get the up to date version. I found a mistake, probably nothing to do with the problems you're having, corrected it, and re-uploaded the whole thing on 30th November. You can get the current version here:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_jul28_fixes.zip

If you don't have enough space for a second install, copy your savegame to somewhere safe, re-install the game, then copy the savegame back into place. If it's marked as savegame compatibility 14.936 then a fresh install up to 28th July plus fixes should recognise it. Whether it will actually work is another matter, but the game should at least try to use it...

I've copied info from build info txt . I've made everything right , just as you instructed me in other topic . But sure I can give it a shot one more time .

Next time you get a crash, check the Windows Event Viewer. In the search box for the start menu, type "event viewer", then click on it to run it. On the left, click on Custom Views, then in the center click on Administrative Events. Near the top, there will be one with Source of Application. Click on that. Below that there will be a window with something like:

Faulting application name: ENGINE.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x52454542
Faulting module name: sea_ai.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x3f4b6c1f

If it says "ENGINE.exe" you've got the right one. Post the faulting module name here. In mine, it's sea_ai.dll.

This will help us track down where the error is.

Hook

Back