• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Crash during boarding

Lonious

Master Mariner
Hi all,

I'm using the latest version of the build mod and currently, I keep experiencing crashes during boarding. The game would sometimes crash before, but rather infrequently. Now whenever I board, it crashes. I'm in the Sea Hawk storyline, around level 40, and have 3 ships (Bellona-class, Mefisto, and war pinnace) and I tried boarding a ship, and it crashed. Then I raided the Guadalope fort, it crashed when I landed troops - I tried loading it again, taking out the fort and landing troops, then it crashed again.

What should I be doing to fix this?

Thanks very much.

Do you have the latest update installed? There used to be a bug whereby, if you looted any chests during a boarding, it would frequently crash the game. That was fixed some time ago, though.

Try deleting the file "options" which you'll find in the top level of the game installation folder. This sometimes becomes corrupted, resulting in various forms of weirdness. If you have changed any settings in the "Options" menu, you'll need to change them again as the game creates a new, clean "options" file.

Do you have the latest update installed? There used to be a bug whereby, if you looted any chests during a boarding, it would frequently crash the game. That was fixed some time ago, though.

Try deleting the file "options" which you'll find in the top level of the game installation folder. This sometimes becomes corrupted, resulting in various forms of weirdness. If you have changed any settings in the "Options" menu, you'll need to change them again as the game creates a new, clean "options" file.

Alright, so I deleted the options file, loaded the game, and changed some controls. Landing Troops worked fine. After that, I changed the options again to my liking - meaning I changed some more Controls, and several Realism options (for example, no buildingsets, no handheld weapons ammo, edited the chance of survival, edited the difficulty of opening chests). When I tried to Land my troops, it crashed again. So I suspect it must be one of the options. But I am not sure which?

Changing the option for ammo might be responsible. If that option was set to the default, to require ammo for handheld firearms, before you landed; and you then changed it to not require ammo during the game; then that could have odd consequences because now you have things in your inventory which shouldn't exist, such as powder, bullets and pouches. Survival chance should be safe to change, and I'd think the difficulty of opening chests should be safe as well.

Try wiping the options file again, change the controls, then change one more thing and load your game. If you can then land your troops without crashing, that option is probably safe. Now try changing one more thing, load the savegame, land your troops and see if it works. Repeat until it doesn't. Then the most recently changed setting is probably the one causing the problem.

Changing the option for ammo might be responsible. If that option was set to the default, to require ammo for handheld firearms, before you landed; and you then changed it to not require ammo during the game; then that could have odd consequences because now you have things in your inventory which shouldn't exist, such as powder, bullets and pouches. Survival chance should be safe to change, and I'd think the difficulty of opening chests should be safe as well.

Try wiping the options file again, change the controls, then change one more thing and load your game. If you can then land your troops without crashing, that option is probably safe. Now try changing one more thing, load the savegame, land your troops and see if it works. Repeat until it doesn't. Then the most recently changed setting is probably the one causing the problem.

OK, so I deleted options as you said. Then I changed the controls to my preferences. I didn't change any other settings. I went to the fort and ran out of gunpowder but my allies finished it off. To do this I set the time to 20x. Then I landed troops, and it crashed again. :unsure

After the game crashes, can you post "compile.log", "system.log", and "error.log" if it exists?

After the game crashes, can you post "compile.log", "system.log", and "error.log" if it exists?

Download files - Filemail

I notice that the crash occurs when the enemy draws their weapons, or when "fighting" begins. I just struck a guard now in Speightstown in Freeplay, and the moment he drew his sword, the game crashed.

In this particular instance, I started the Freeplay with customized controls, and with the Game Preferences set to default. After I bought all the weapons I needed, I disabled the handheld ammo. When I hit the guard the game crashed. After this I deleted options, and did not change any settings at all, and did that again - it crashed.

Will check further.

There are some worrying messages in "error.log". But "compile.log" says you're using the 21st May 2018 version, which is the current installer but without any updates.

Download the update archive from here:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_25May_updates_130821.zip
Unzip the whole lot to the top level of your game installation. You'll then need to start a new game because the updated version won't recognise your old savegame, but given the problems it's causing, your current game campaign is probably corrupted anyway.

There are some worrying messages in "error.log". But "compile.log" says you're using the 21st May 2018 version, which is the current installer but without any updates.

Download the update archive from here:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_25May_updates_130821.zip
Unzip the whole lot to the top level of your game installation. You'll then need to start a new game because the updated version won't recognise your old savegame, but given the problems it's causing, your current game campaign is probably corrupted anyway.

Okay, so far here's my finding: when I hire an officer and the Ammo setting is normal, and then I change the setting to no ammo, and I get in a fight with the officer by my side, the game crashes. However, if I hire an officer and the Ammo setting is off, and I don't change that setting, this second officer won't crash the game in a fight. Similarly, if I hire an officer with the Ammo setting and don't change that setting, he won't crash the game in a fight.

So it looks like the officer crashes the game if he gets into a fight with the ammo setting different from when I hired him. After testing this in Freeplay, I went back to my Sea Hawk storyline and was able to capture the fort after removing my officers.

Back