• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Cossacks in the Caribbean?

Javrimir

Powder Monkey
Hey guys, I installed again a few weeks ago the nostalgic Akella-Game PotC and then I found the mod "New Horizons". It's really awesome. Thanks for the great work!
But would it not be also cool, if you play in free play as a Russian buccaneer? Or rather Im talking about cossacks. I know they were offically never in the Caribbean, but did you ever heard about the cossack-pirate Stenka Rasin? Some of his fellows could be landed in the Caribbean, because they escaped after Rasins death from the Russian empire. These guys would then have the nationality "Pirates". You could add then typical sabres which were adopted by the cossacks like "Shashka" or "Kinjal". And think about the legendary Russian canon, the "Tsar cannon". Maybe the cossacks stole it, to use it for their ship? ;)

Last edited:
You can role-play as a Cossack, if you like.
The default Nathaniel Hawk character model is very Russian-inspired.

We don't need to add the shashka. It's already in the game!

Rasin was around in the 1660's and died in 1671. Give his surviving followers a few years to reach the Caribbean so that you're in 1680. That way you're in the "Golden Age of Piracy" period. And that means you get to use the Kreyser class frigate, which is based on a Russian design. If you want huge guns to mimic having taken something like the Tsar Cannon, you'll need to find Vanderdecken's shipyard...

But your Cossack will not be able to ride a horse in this game. xD

Yeah I know. Hawk's clothing style is typical Russian(but he's still English). That's not a miracle, because some of the programmers are Russians, I guess. That's why you can find Russian speaking sound datas in the vanilla game. Even if it's ingame not making sense. But if someone programs a cossack buccaneer camp, these datas could be useful for that.
Maybe I should try to code it... even if I have not that time right now.

Hm, you mean the "asiatic broadsword"?

Hawk's clothing style is typical Russian(but he's still English). That's not a miracle, because some of the programmers are Russians, I guess.
The entire game was developed in Russia by Russians.
So Nathaniel Hawk's real name was "Blaze Devlin" and he was just renamed for the "western release".

The simplest way to play as a non-English Russian character is to choose "Personal Nation" as your chosen nationality.
There are a LOT of personal flags to choose from already, though I can't remember if there is a properly appropriate Russian one available.
If not, that is actually quite easy to add though. And then you can play as Russian! :cheeky

Hm, Blaze Devlin you say? Well, right now I'm playing with the Scottish guy, who serves for the Americans. After I conquered all the British forts, I will definitely check it out. :)
But, still. Dont you think, it would be cool to use the Russian speaking sound datas ingame?

Here's the "Flags of the World" page about Russian naval flags:
Russian Navy flags
The ensign looks like a Scottish flag in reverse, while the jack looks like a British Union Jack with the colours mixed up. Both are available as Personal flags, and there's also one which looks as though it might be an old Russian national flag.

russian_standard.jpg russian_jack.jpg russian_national.jpg

As for the shashka, "initItems.c" lists it, but only available in the "Colonial Powers" and later periods. You'd need to play in 1740 or later to have a chance of seeing it, and even then it's a powerful sword so it won't be available until you're pretty high level - at least 28.

Level 28? Awesome... Goodbye Reallife :cool:

They're no Russian speakers in this forums? So, it's kind of destiny that I loged in here. If they is really a programer who has a usage for the sound datas. There is no problem for me to translate them all :)

@Javrimir

Here's a little mini-mod for you to play as a Cossack pirate. Choose freeplay, swordmaster start, any time period (as long as you are ok being the only one with a shaska, otherwise start in a later period as grey roger advised)

I gave you the awesome Shashka as your starting blade, but removed the starting gold armor. I'd say it is around a fair trade in terms of starting equipment, and you will have your sword at your side from the beginning. I also wrote you a short background journal entry.

To install, just download the attached file, and put it into Program/characters folder in your game directory, replacing the current file.

EDIT :Made an error, corrected version below

Last edited:
We've had Russian people around for sure.
But recently, I haven't seen any around that I remember.

You're welcome to join in the translation fun!
There have been a few other people recently working on getting it into Spanish too.

Right you are, and I have no idea why. :( The line is exactly as it used to be for the other sword as far as I can tell, and is pointing at the right blade. Sorry about that, maybe someone with better coding skills with know what is going wrong?

I havent compared those files yet, but I will do it.Properly I wont find the error since
you are much better than I, when its comes to coding.

The Russian Cossack's Shashka is blade 43, 41 is the Polish Hussar's Szabla.

Thanks Ansel! I felt really bad for messing that up, I really appreciate you finding my error.

Fixed version attached!

EDIT-wait, trying one more time, 43 gave the cavalry sabre, I think the problem was the C I had in the name...I think this new version works.

Attachments

• characters_init.c
    32.6 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Ok, the newly attached version is giving me the Shashka now when I test it in game.

@ANSEL please let me know if it doesn't work, sorry about me being confused at first. :)

Here's the new code for reference:

case PLAYER_TYPE_SWORD_MASTER:
ch.shiplog.Entry.log0 = "A cossack under the the great Stenka Rasin, I have escaped after his death and come to the Caribbean seeking my fortune.";
if(ENABLE_WEAPONSMOD) GiveItem2Character(ch, "blade41+3");
else GiveItem2Character(ch, "blade41");
break;

@Javrimir sorry about the error in the first version, but I think with ANSEL's help we have it fixed now. :)

Tested and it worked for give me the blade now, but if it still causes problems for anyone let me know.:)

Last edited:
Back