• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Confused about the naming of the sea dogs games

Dread Gregery

Landlubber
Now yes im new didn't know about this site until 2 days ago but im very confused by the naming of the sea dogs games, more specifically in that at times their called "age of pirates" other times "sea dogs" and other times still its "Pirates of the Caribbean" and its from a Russian company, does that mean each of these names are region specific?

Age of Pirates was an older term and replaced with sea dogs on steam. The Pirates of the Caribbean game was originally called "Age of Pirates 2" but became potc after disney paid them money to rename it so, since the first potc movie was released then.

Yep, same games, just renamed after TEHO was released I think.

You will find them as "Sea Dogs" both on GOG and Steam nowadays.

Though PotC was going to be named Sea Dogs II.

Edit: Also I had made this thread about the PotC/Sea Dogs II if you are interested. ;)

Sea Dogs II and Pirates of the Caribbean name change
I see thanks for that, im still trying to get the hang of both COAS and TEHO of the sea dogs series, mostly though i ether play tempest (not bad but land combat feels off) malestorm for ship PVP, sid meiers pirates or legends of pirates online (fan revival of the disney POTC MMO thats very well done and still being worked on)

So coming into these games even with the mod is a little jarring, especailly with how difficult it can be and nothing really like it out there, im all for "getting gud" but i need a point of refrence to even know how to get good, Foo Mxcah has been helpful in that department

I see thanks for that, im still trying to get the hang of both COAS and TEHO of the sea dogs series, mostly though i ether play tempest (not bad but land combat feels off) malestorm for ship PVP, sid meiers pirates or legends of pirates online (fan revival of the disney POTC MMO thats very well done and still being worked on)

So coming into these games even with the mod is a little jarring, especailly with how difficult it can be and nothing really like it out there, im all for "getting gud" but i need a point of refrence to even know how to get good, Foo Mxcah has been helpful in that department

No problem, man

I'll give it a shot too...

All these games are based on the "Storm Engine", which was developed further throughout the various releases.
They were all made by Russian companies/groups.
In Russia, they are known together as the "Corsairs" series.
In the Western world though, there can be plenty of name confusion.

I tried to explain some of it here:
Need Help - Need someone familiar with all of Akella's pirate games

malestorm for ship PVP
Which one is that?

I'll give it a shot too...

All these games are based on the "Storm Engine", which was developed further throughout the various releases.
They were all made by Russian companies/groups.
In Russia, they are known together as the "Corsairs" series.
In the Western world though, there can be plenty of name confusion.

I tried to explain some of it here:
Need Help - Need someone familiar with all of Akella's pirate games

Which one is that?
a F2P game where theres human, dwarf, orc and recently added undead ships (cost premium currency but you can earn it little by little) where you have nice feeling ship combat with each race haveing a fighting style, orcs like to ram into other ships a lot while humans like to stay back and fire from a distance

Maelstrom on Steam

also to add their definition of a F2P game

FREE-TO-PLAY DEFINITION FOR MAELSTROM:
As Free-to-Play definitions vary with games we want to define it clearly so players know what they can expect:

Back