• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

CoAS doesnt work

Captain Maggee

Aussie Pirate
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Well Thagarr pointed out this and it worked for some people and I always do forget about them myself...

There are known issues with certain audio and video codecs that will cause problems when starting the game. If you are having issues that you are not able to pin down to the game it's self or your hardware, it may very well be an audio or video codec that you have installed on your system that is causing the problem. Badly written codecs can play havoc with even the best systems, and some even prevent Windows it's self from functioning properly.

An easy way to disable your codecs without uninstalling them is to use a program called InstalledCodec. It will give you a complete list of every codec installed on your system and allow you to disable them to try and track down the offending codec. This program is free, and you can download it from this link :

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html

After you have found the codec that is preventing the game from running, you can easily go back in and re-enable all of your other well behaved codecs. Please post back into this thread the name of any codecs you were able to find that were causing you problems loading CoAS, or any other game.

So try this if your game isnt running and then if it doesnt work post on the forum ;)

Thanks Captain Maggee! Codecs are easy to overlook, most have absolutely nothing to do with games, but badly written ones can screw with windows so much that even simple video and audio play back either function erratically or not at all.

One of the biggest offenders I have run across is ffdshow. The LAME Mp3 codec can also cause some problems. Hopefully this thread will help track down a few more!

Other codecs that have been found to cause problems :

Nero DVD Decoder and Nero Video Decoder : thanks Sotha!

Hi, guys. I am from Russia. :drunk Need your help. I have a game version 1.2.3. I saw your mod - it is great! But I have a problem - I have no folder PROGRAM. And that's why mod(3.1.5) does not work! :modding Please help me.
Sincerely, Haron.

Note to the CoAS modding team: You should include the following files in the download,
hopefully that would allow the modpack to work for Russian game versions also:
- ENGINE.exe
- Full MODULES folder
- Full PROGRAM folder

I uploaded those files for you here now: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/coas/coas_files.exe
Extract to your main game folder and you should get a working PROGRAM folder.
After that, installing the modpack should hopefully work.

Unfortunately, after launching start.exe crash error: "This application has failed to start because dvm.dll was not found." :modding
In any case, thank you that responded.

Pieter Boelen, thank you very much! You helped me a lot! Now I finally saw your mod. It's amazing! :onya
Thanks again!

Back