• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

City of Abandoned Ships now on GOG

FINALLY SWEET BABY MOTHER OF PIRATICAL GOODNESS!!! WOOO!!

So tired of freaking Tages on the Gamersgate edition.

So we miss only Pirates of the Carribean and To Each His Own. The first one might be problematic, but GOG seems to have a rather good relationship with Disney, seeing the number of old games that are exclusive to GOG for now. The second, depends of the developer/publisher.
This is pretty darn good news, I dare say! :woot

That indeed almost completes the set.
It's a shame they haven't been able to tackle PotC yet, but I can't say I'm particularly surprised.
Probably a bit of a legal tangle surrounding that particular game....

Still... PotC has 1267 votes on GOG.com while CoAS has 968: Pirates of the Caribbean - GOG.com
So if they have any sense, they would be wise to not ignore it.
In the meantime, I'd like to encourage everyone to KEEP VOTING! ;)

As for Sea Dogs: To Each His Own, is that not available as a legal download through Steam right now?
I doubt that one will show up on GOG.com while Steam still has it.
But as long as it is available somewhere, I reckon that's the most important thing. :)

It's a shame they haven't been able to tackle PotC yet, but I can't say I'm particularly surprised.

Still... PotC has 1267 votes on GOG.com while CoAS has 968: Pirates of the Caribbean - GOG.com

As for Sea Dogs: To Each His Own, is that not available as a legal download through Steam right now?
But as long as it is available somewhere, I reckon that's the most important thing. :)

Yep steam has To Each His Own available.

Actually there is a healthy collection of games that are on GOG while still being available on other platforms (Steam, Origin or uPlay). While on other platforms you have to deal with the copy protection and the client, the games available on GOG are DRM free and can be played without an online connexion, can be backed on a disc and they come with quite a few of extras (artbooks, manuals, sountracks and so on). So, yeah, i prefer to buy on GOG if a game is available there, while being available on other platforms.

With PotC, my money are on the legal issues. There are multiple parties involved: Akella (that made the game and have the rights over the game engine), Bethesda (they had the publishing rights, but they've completely abandoned this game's distribution) and Disney (which has the rights over the Pirates of the Carribean IP). So it would take to bring all those three to the talking table, get an agreement (maybe giving the rights to Disney, as they seem willing to exploit their old games library, the ones that were aquired from Lucas included). So, all the involved parties have to get a deal and place and restart the distro. GOG would be the best choice, as they are specialized in making old games to work on the modern Operating Systems.

So keep voting people and buy those Sea Dogs games, too, as that will show the interest for a PotC re-release and the potential to bring money in for the involved parties. I voted for all the good pirate games and put my money where my mouth is, hoping that we will finally have the classics DRM free. And it seems that works, as slowly GOG managed to bring more of the games from the Sea Dogs series on their shop.

Last edited:
With PotC, my money are on the legal issues. There are multiple parties involved: Akella (that made the game and have the rights over the game engine), Bethesda (they had the publishing rights, but they've completely abandoned this game's distribution) and Disney (which has the rights over the Pirates of the Carribean IP). So it would take to bring all those three to the talking table, get an agreement (maybe giving the rights to Disney, as they seem willing to exploit their old games library, the ones that were aquired from Lucas included). So, all the involved parties have to get a deal and place and restart the distro. GOG would be the best choice, as they are specialized in making old games to work on the modern Operating Systems.

Thats a pretty big problem. As three sides are involved, the Akella is easiest side to convince, they dont had much financial success, the "Sea Dogs - To Each his own" is holding on enthusiasm of Blackmark and core-fanbase. And i dont remember, how much of Besthesda games GOG has right now, one, two, zero? I think Akella can translate other Sea Dogs games, that we actually didnt have. Sea Dogs III - Dead Man's Chest and Sea Dogs - Return of the Legend. Well, Sea Legend was mostly teasement of what CoAS have, but DM'sC is really much more than Caribbean Tales.

I still have my old boxed copy which contains the horrible Star Force protection stopping it from installing, I wish they could issue me a free copy but fat chance of that ever happening. Still I'm glad to see it is available for all now, I just wish the PotC game will be on GoG next.

I somehow completely missed this news... clearly wasn't paying attention. :oops:

Anyway, this is absolutely brilliant! I've now updated our GOG notice banner to reflect this outcome.
Just one game left... :rolleyes:

I've now updated our GOG notice banner to reflect this outcome.
Just one game left... :rolleyes:
Have you got any clue why that notice banner shows only for me when I'm NOT logged in?
As soon as I do log in here, it vanishes. o_O

Have you got any clue why that notice banner shows only for me when I'm NOT logged in?

Same for me - when I am logged in I have 3 banners ( HOO - New Horizons - GOF 2 )

When logged out I have 5 banners ( the 3 above + Make Vote Count + Under the Crossbones )

:shrug

Same for me - when I am logged in I have 3 banners ( HOO - New Horizons - GOF 2 )

When logged out I have 5 banners ( the 3 above + Make Vote Count + Under the Crossbones )

:shrug
That's odd; even when logged in, I do still have Under The Crossbones...

Bethesda started its collaboration with GOG late last year (late 2016). here is the list with what they've brought on GOG so far:

Spiele bei GOG.com

So, the problem would be to bring all the three parties at the negotiation table. The video-games developed on external IP's (Dune, Lord of the Rings, Marvel, sports, cars, etc) are notorious on disappearing from the face of the earth once the license agrrement has expired.

For example, i would love to see the old Dune games and the two LOTR games made by EA, but that is not possible, as the license agreement between the involved parties expired and at least one of the involved parties doesn't want to renew it. Pirates of The Carribean is in the same boat, unfortunately, and, while Akella might agree immediately, Bethesda and Disney might take a lot of convincing. Hope GOG can do it at some point, as they seem to have some good negotiators.

They've managed to recover some of the old SSI IP's, like the Gold Box and some of the Five Star general titles (hope they will manage to get the rest, as Ubi just sits on the bloody catalog and does nothing with it). They've brought back from the dead forgotten games like War Wind and Krash, Kill and Destroy. Most of the old titles that GOG is selling had some major legal problems. And somehow they've managed to bring them back to sale. And they've also managed to get either timed exclusivity for selling certain games on their shop (the old Star Wars games were available for a limited time only on GOG and certain titles are still only available there) or complete exclusivity (titles that are available only on their shop). That indicates a really good legal/negotiator team.

So, keep that vote up and we might have PoTC back in business at some point.

You may have previously dismissed it, which stops it showing for your account. I've now reset the banner so it should show up for everyone again even if it was dismissed before (you can dismiss it again, though).

You may have previously dismissed it, which stops it showing for your account. I've now reset the banner so it should show up for everyone again even if it was dismissed before (you can dismiss it again, though).
I don't even know HOW I dismissed that! :shock

Anyway, it is indeed back. :onya

Back