• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Building Stuff

Ralof45

Landlubber
So I have been playing the mod for about a year now but in all my time playing I usually stuck with the "ship" part of the game and not really diving into other complex mechanics, for example I noticied there are certain farms that I could own but I never messed with it because im clueless about it. Even though I have been playing for a year I do find new stuff every time I play and I just recently found out you can build stuff by talking with your officers when you come ashore. I saw there were plenty of options on what to build including a fort. I didn't touch any of that yet because I don't know how it works but basically I would like to ask if this feature allows me to build my own colony? It would be pretty cool to go over to Isla mona for example and build a whole settlement there.

You can't go to Isla Mona unless you're playing either the "Assassin", "Ardent" or "Woodes Rogers" storylines, all of which have their own uses for the island.

Adding buildings doesn't create a colony. You won't be able to name a town, raise a flag or collect taxes. But you could complete the "Silver Train" sidequest which lets you land on Petit Tabac, then build stuff all over the island. (Pretend that you don't want to draw too much attention to yourself. Portugal claims the island. It probably didn't want to risk war with Spain over the silver mine, but they wouldn't be so bothered about kicking you off. In actual game terms, there's no mechanism to create a new town, and Portugal couldn't attack it if you did because there's also no mechanism for anyone but you to attack a town. But it's as good a role-playing reason as any. :D)

The system still seems pretty cool even if it's only for role play purposes. Just the fact that I can build a whole private mansion in the jungle and who knows what else is pretty cool.

There should be a setting somewhere in the "Options" menu to disable buildings. However, as well as blocking you from building things, it will also prevent extra buildings from being added to various locations. A lot of places are copied from the locations in the unmodified game, changed slightly by adding extra buildings; those will not appear if you disable the building mod, meaning places will look even more the same than they do now.

Or you can just not tell your officers to build anything. xD

There should be a setting somewhere in the "Options" menu to disable buildings. However, as well as blocking you from building things, it will also prevent extra buildings from being added to various locations. A lot of places are copied from the locations in the unmodified game, changed slightly by adding extra buildings; those will not appear if you disable the building mod, meaning places will look even more the same than they do now.

Or you can just not tell your officers to build anything. xD
Oh yeah my bad lol forgot there was that option

The Buildings thing doesn't need to be in the mod.
You could argue nothing needs to be in the mod.

It's kind of unfinished and doesn't add to the experience, in fact it makes things seem more unpolished.
It's finished as far as the original creative creator @CouchcaptainCharles knew how to bring it.
Many other modders have built on and with it since then.

Certainly it seems clunky. But it is also funny and encourages players to look into modding.
And of course we have this in PROGRAM\BuildingSettings.h for a reason:
Code:
// ======================================
// LAND EXPLORATION, LOCATIONS:
// ======================================
[...]
bool ENABLE_BUILDINGSET = true;
    // 0: New towns have the same look as the stock PotC locations
    // 1: "additional" buildings in some new locations
Don't like it?
Disable it.

Change the game to your own liking is exactly what we're hoping to encourage.
We (hum.... sometimes) try to avoid enforcing our likes and dislikes onto unsuspecting players.

It should be included only later on when more work has been done on it.
More work?
How?
By who?
How would such a potential person even know to look to continue CCC's earlier work?

Did you know for example at all about these various WIP mods that are disabled on purpose because they're unfinished?
From the bottom of PROGRAM\globals.c:
Code:
//**********WIP MODS***********
#define FCOHS                0        // Erwin Lindemann: Friendly Contact on High Seas / Hail Ship Mod
#define WEIGHTMOD            0        // KK: All items except quest-items have specific weight which limits the amount a character can take or keep in chests
#define SHIPS_WEIGHT        0        // PB: Cannons and crew have weight; ship capacities are increased to match; overweight ships capsize
#define BUILDING_COLLISION    0        // Levis: Avoid walking through specific BuildingSet structures
#define IMPROVE_FIGHT_AI    0        // Levis: Enemies behave more natural
#define OFFICER_TUTORIAL    0        // Levis: Ingame explanation of officer system
Unfortunately, nobody is around to continue.
And you can even recognize there that somebody did try to improve on the issues you remark on.
But he didn't get it working and so we remain with the original clunky, but technically functional implementation.

By all means also:
Talk to the hut owner in the middle of Speightstown Harbour.
He's got plenty explanations to make; both valid and also hilariously nonsensical.

Yeah, we're a weird bunch here. :wp

Back