• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Build14 Tabs not working

@Grey R. I'm sure that works but inserting it into Programmes console.c is a minefield. I tried inserting on the second line down between () [Thumbnail] as I couldn't see any reference to monkeys similar.
It followed me. Then inserted the code where the thumbnail file indicates and another pic shows the result.
I can often be the preverbal thick as two short planks but coding is way off my experience although I have managed to build this computer, and it works (mostly). When it doesn't it usually is something I have put my fingers in, or on.

Not to try to argue or be clever, I tried again to open a .tga file in Ps CS6, and although it is labelled a Ps file I get the cold shoulder (again) [thumbnail], I must be missing something.
Ps is a full copy not a limited feature trial.

Sometimes you try your darnedest and it still doesn't happen.
Still, this is full immersion; like the game.
And it's free. Like the game.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Monkey-Follow.jpg
    Monkey-Follow.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Ps-File.jpg
    Ps-File.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 173
You put the lines a little too high. Outside the {}, they're not part of the "ExecuteConsole" block - in fact, I suspect console may have failed to run at all. Try putting the lines between "int limit;" and "switch(0)".

If you're trying to open texture files directly from the game install, it won't work because they're not .tga, they're .tga.tx. Windows is trying to be clever and not show filename extensions, but these files have a double extension so it shows the ".tga" anyway. Get "TX Convertor":
http://www.piratesahoy.cloud/repository/Tools/Modeling+Texturing/TX Convertor.zip
That converts the game's .tga.tx files into genuine .tga files which Photoshop can read. For example:
photoshop_screenshot.jpg

When you've finished editing, it also converts .tga files back into .tga.tx for the game to use.

@ Grey R. I see what you mean about the .tga files. Windows is legendary for thinking it knows what everybody wants, and doesn't.

I tried getting the monkey off my back yet again.
Stuck the code where suggested [thmb].
Same result.
Should the code go just after the semi colon? vis. int limit;
Maybe it would just be easier to convert the monkey to another delectable lady?
I wouldn't mind opening every door for her then; I wouldn't even mind if she kept telling me how handsome and brave I was.
Not a problem & problem solved.

Maybe enough is enough but if anyone else has the same problem there is no solution offered so far.
(is it only me??? My PC is only mildly pushed to 4.0 MHz).

Now it is 6.45 here and the cats (and me) are yelling for food. Have a good weekend.

Attachments

• Following-again.jpg
    Following-again.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 171
  • Console-Insert.jpg
    Console-Insert.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 178
That is the correct location for the line. Alright, if the monkey doesn't obey the 'LAi_SetActorType' line, which I hoped would make him stay put, then replace that line with 'Lai_KillCharacter(CharacterFromID("Monkey"));' and with any luck you get to watch the thing drop dead. Otherwise I'll have to try a few things myself to see what works.

Update: indeed, 'LAi_SetActorType(characterFromID("Monkey"))' doesn't work - I tried putting that into console myself. It doesn't stop the creature from following you into the next scene. 'LAi_SetStayType(characterFromID("Monkey"))' works better, it makes the monkey stay put - he's still there if you go back to the same place but at least he doesn't follow you around any more.

'Lai_KillCharacter(CharacterFromID("Monkey"));' is confirmed to be a more permanent solution.

Thank you very much for all the prompt advice.
To let you know where I am with all this;
I've capitulated and started a new game.
After working my way up from the Bum boat with popcorn guns and no crew through to capturing a Heavy East Indiaman
and accrued enough Melee points so that I am not killed by the first pin prick;
I am starting over again.

With the Tabs not opening to trade items, change crew or rob bodies etc., the game stops developing further although you can keep playing with what you have.
I find it curious that if I go back several days to load an earlier game where the Tabs work, it then is fine and they work until something trips it so they stop working.

Of course there is something to be said about the game engine not being designed for the present whizz bang Graphics cards or processors as they weren't invented, even the present OS's are way past WIN95/7 or Vista.
This stumps me as I can play at the full screen resolution (via engine.ini) of 2560 x 1440 and near maximum detail with no issues for a long time before the tabs stop working.
It takes a heck of a lot of game play and roaming over the ports to get a large ship and many fights to get the Melee points, so why is the high spec PC not an issue then?
It is almost as if at a certain point in the game like meeting someone new or attacking a certain ship/person in a sequence triggers it off.

As no-one else has kicked in with the same 'tabs not working' problem I have to assume it's just my luck and/or particular PC set up.
Love the game and the development of the Mods and all the help and back-up but it's back to the Bum boat for me, and perhaps start as another character to see how things work out.

Keep up the good work guys, at least this keeps my poor brain oiled. Regards, Brian.

With the Tabs not opening to trade items, change crew or rob bodies etc., the game stops developing further although you can keep playing with what you have.
I find it curious that if I go back several days to load an earlier game where the Tabs work, it then is fine and they work until something trips it so they stop working.
If you ever find out what trips it, I'd REALLY like to know!

I have a vague recollection that @Hylie Pistof once reported something similar in the past. But we never could figure out what happened there.
If I recall, he would recommend to defrag your hard drive, just in case.

Of course there is something to be said about the game engine not being designed for the present whizz bang Graphics cards or processors as they weren't invented, even the present OS's are way past WIN95/7 or Vista.
This stumps me as I can play at the full screen resolution (via engine.ini) of 2560 x 1440 and near maximum detail with no issues for a long time before the tabs stop working.
It takes a heck of a lot of game play and roaming over the ports to get a large ship and many fights to get the Melee points, so why is the high spec PC not an issue then?
It is almost as if at a certain point in the game like meeting someone new or attacking a certain ship/person in a sequence triggers it off.
Indeed if the problem is not consistently there throughout the game, it does sound like something else than the "Windows 10 Framerate Issue". :modding

Hi Pieter, I have O&O defrag running all the time including the hard drive this is on (except on the other SSD hard drives) so that isn't the issue.
Just had a look out of interest but as it runs all the time I ignore it.
Talk about a clean disk...

@Hylie Pistof probably named himself after he had this issue...

Attachments

• O&O.jpg
    O&O.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 153
:sail Just passing by............

This happened to me 2-3 times a few years ago so my memory is suspect. As near as I can recall when this happened I would go into a store and look at the cargo and maybe buy or sell something. That would jar the system into working again. :shrug

Hi Hylie, As you're just passing by, I couldn't look at the cargo to sell it or have a look or anything else as none of the tabs worked, they were all frozen.
Jarring this system to get any result would need throwing the PC across the room (missing the cats), but it is a lot easier on the nerves and pocket to start another game.

I am now in the Free Play game and all back to normal, except that I can't pay the crew so a mutiny is on the horizon but I don't care as I have an attractive woman first mate.
Like many women, she is the reason I can't pay the crew....

@nich666: One thing that sprang to mind that you could try is to remove the file named "options" from your main game folder.
That sometimes gets corrupted, leading to all sorts of inexplicable weirdness.
When you do that, all your custom in-game settings will be lost, so you'll have to restore those afterwards.
Your savegames will remain safe though. :yes

I am now in the Free Play game and all back to normal, except that I can't pay the crew so a mutiny is on the horizon but I don't care as I have an attractive woman first mate.
Like many women, she is the reason I can't pay the crew....
:rofl

You could consider switching to "Divide the Plunder" mode; then you don't need to pay salary.
However, you do need to make plenty of money to keep your crew happy then!

I had a similar situation once, only she was also the reason I didn't need to pay the crew all that often. The Mistress of Discipline had the "Iron Will" ability. :whipa

I'm still trying to remember. Did you ask to look at the merchant's stock? You don't have to hit any tabs to do that.

Burger me, it worked. @Hylie {not quite so} Pistof. you are the man.
For the future, if anyone gets this 'tabs not working' idiosyncratic lunacy, go into the store and ask to see personal items,
(I bought a grenade), it somehow trips something and the tabs work again.
I don't know if it has to be a grenade but it did the trick.
Why they jammed up and this simple act frees tabs off I don't know; but it worked.

I also tried shooting the monkey, but he/she is as the Walking Dead, no effect.
I need to plow through the consol.c code to bury the screeching thing.
I will carry on with the new game until the crew string me up but now I have this game to fall back on.

Pieter, mark this as a probable 'solved' even though it seems @Hylie 'not so' and I seem to be the only ones inflicted.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I also tried shooting the monkey, but he/she is as the Walking Dead, no effect.
I need to plow through the consol.c code to bury the screeching thing.
You found the correct place to add lines in "console.c" in post 23: between 'int limit;' and 'switch(0)'. Unfortunately the code I had suggested before then doesn't work.

Put:
Code:
Lai_KillCharacter(CharacterFromID("Monkey"));
in the same place. Then press F12 to get your revenge on the monkey. That does work, I tried it myself.[/code]

For the future, if anyone gets this 'tabs not working' idiosyncratic lunacy, go into the store and ask to see personal items,
(I bought a grenade), it somehow trips something and the tabs work again.
I don't know if it has to be a grenade but it did the trick.
Wow! :shock

Pieter, mark this as a probable 'solved' even though it seems @Hylie 'not so' and I seem to be the only ones inflicted.
It must be unlikely to happen, but apparently IS a real issue.
At least now we know for sure that it isn't just Hylie AND we know his proposed solution does work.
So if anyone ever has it again, hopefully we'll remember the solution and be able to help them a bit quicker than for you.... :oops:

Back