• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 4 Internal WIP For Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a head's up to everyone: Later today I'll make a new EXE with all new stuff in it.
This time I'll also require a new game to be started to ensure all testing from now on will be equally reliable again.

Opening post EXE updated

Released on the day that the Assassin storyline starts (not entirely by accident*.... :oops: ), here is the promised new EXE Installer.
A lot of work has gone into this one to make it at the very least more playable than the 27 September release.

However, if @Levis and me really did our jobs properly, this should be the basis for the most playable version in YEARS!
All the major rewrites have been done. All that is left to do is tying up some loose ends plus testing, testing, testing.
So please try it and keep an eye out for anything that still seems quite wrong.
We should be nearing the end of Beta 4 development, so hopefully we'll be able to have some good fun actually playing the game at last. :cheeky

New game is ENFORCED to ensure everybody starts again from the right initialization files.

The following changes are included:
- Game loading performance improved by @Levis
- Loading timer functionality added by @Levis
- Skill system rewritten to improve game performance by me
- Error log prevented from ship upgrade functionality
- Skill balancing improved by @Levis
- Tortuga tavern name changed in Colonial Powers by @Jack Rackham
- Various quests' Nation Relations, including Standard Storyline instances, fixed by me
- Governor Smuggler Quest added by @Levis
- False flag detection avoided while on ship deck by me
- Improved Relation Tutorial triggered by your first minor act of piracy by me
- Asking for Directions Unlocks Fast Travel by @Jack Rackham, @Bartolomeu o Portugues, @salonikasurf and me
- Updated "Gunner restocks ammo" functionality by @Jack Rackham
- Don't lose Trade License through any act of piracy by me
- Changing Nation Relations note delayed until this actually happens by me
- Sitting at the tavern fixed by @pedrwyth
- Stock game Officer Loyalty mod corrected for quest characters by @pedrwyth
- Weapons for "Indian Chief" in Assassin storyline fixed by me
- Various Jack Sparrow sidequests fixed by me
- Postillionen spanker sail fixed by @Hylie Pistof

Yep, as @Levis already noticed.... The Assassin storyline starts on my birthday.... :wp

Last edited:
I double-checked the installation procedure on both the unmodded game and the previous Beta 4 EXE installer and both result in the same game files as my own.
So that's it from me until next week. Here's to hoping there will be some good fun to be had with this version! :sail

I didn't have any date planned for a next update yet. Maybe next week?

I didn't have any date planned for a next update yet. Maybe next week?
Somewhere this weekend would be nice :) or beginning of next week.
I don't know if you have time somewhere to make it? Else if people upload theire stuff I could winmege it together and at least produce a zip containing everything.

I don't know if you have time somewhere to make it? Else if people upload theire stuff I could winmege it together and at least produce a zip containing everything.
I can make time whenever. Saturday I should definitely have time. Hopefully then I'll be able to do a bit of work of my own again as well.
It takes a fair bit of time and effort to do it though, so I'd like to do so when we know it'll be a good, playable version.

I shall just jump on the next sort of patch that includes everything since I am a few out or if I have extra time, I will sort it all out :D Looking forward to some more testing.

This latest version with latest Levis Stuff seems to be an almost proper launch version to release! I have done long games with my character Habbah Malukar (Working to the Pirate Brotherhood), and the game is very excellent :)

Some points to order how this version does well:
  • First of all, the overall perfomance at sea is very high and excellent! I did one battle to a big fleet of merchants and the FPS didn't droped almost nothing and there weren't any lags of one second good and one second of freeze. This problem has persisted for a very long time and now it's fixed completely.
  • Second, the FPS at land is fixed and I think it's even better than previous releases of Build 14 of the world of Beta 3. In later games it isn't now very slow.
  • Third, the NPC's have good abilities of fencing and/or good skill at fencing according to your level. This was happening during some of the previous versions of Beta 4 WIP and now it's as it should be :)
  • Fourth, the levelling up of your character is now improved thanks to @Levis, who has done a great job with it :)
  • Fifth, The new features of Beta 4 (A lot of them that shall be mentioned, but I'm too lazy to say the most important :p), have brought a whole new world that enriches what it has been done to this mod.
On the other hand, there are still some bugs that have to be still fixed, althought very small ones, that appear on the Bug Tracker. If we finish these problems, we will almost have a full version to release of Beta 4 :D

Thanks a lot for the kind words, @HellSailor! I definitely appreciate it. :cheers

I'm really happy that we seem to have FINALLY been able to tackle those nasty performance issues in 3D sailing mode.
Those have definitely been a pain in my backside for really a substantial amount of time.

And @Levis seems to have gotten the lag ashore under control as well.
Have been doing some random tests yesterday and today and haven't noticed anything bothersome with it yet.

Also really glad that everything related to Nations Relations is NOT broken any longer.
It was only during my rewrite of that when I noticed just how messed up all that has been for years.
I've got high hopes that now that is all cleared out, it can actually start playing a REAL role in the game!
And false flags finally seem to serve their purpose, so that's a nice bonus. ;)

Good work as always! :yes
I have a question though, in the previous version build 14 3.5?
There was a option if you had a rank with a nation like admiral or something, you would get money everyday from your estate but the money was never added to my "purse" is this fixed? not a big deal but it would be kinda nice if my money from the estate was added to my character.

There was a option if you had a rank with a nation like admiral or something, you would get money everyday from your estate but the money was never added to my "purse" is this fixed? not a big deal but it would be kinda nice if my money from the estate was added to my character.
That isn't a bug; the money is added to your "Personal Wealth", not to your "Crew Fund".
You should see it below your character portrait in the F2>Character Menu.
There is an old, but still relevant description about this in "Documentation\New Horizons Tutorials & History.pdf" on page 275.

Thanks a lot for the kind words, @HellSailor! I definitely appreciate it. :cheers

I'm really happy that we seem to have FINALLY been able to tackle those nasty performance issues in 3D sailing mode.
Those have definitely been a pain in my backside for really a substantial amount of time.

And @Levis seems to have gotten the lag ashore under control as well.
Have been doing some random tests yesterday and today and haven't noticed anything bothersome with it yet.

Also really glad that everything related to Nations Relations is NOT broken any longer.
It was only during my rewrite of that when I noticed just how messed up all that has been for years.
I've got high hopes that now that is all cleared out, it can actually start playing a REAL role in the game!
And false flags finally seem to serve their purpose, so that's a nice bonus. ;)

If this is indeed the case in terms of performance on sea then that is a massive achievement. I think certainly that this experimental build prior to it's full release is the best version of the build mod yet. The content and extra detail that has been added over the course of the past 2 experimental builds have indeed made it a different game almost. Well done :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back