• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 GAMMA [Last Update: 31st December 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
is Preprocessor_Add an alright way to go to change the pronouns? I hope it's not too taxing on the resources, because I've been adding it to a lot of dialogue files and I'd hate if all my work turns out to be trash :ko but it should only run during that particular dialogue, right? I'm not much of a coder, I'm kinda learning while I go by looking at other code that does roughly the same thing :p
Yes, 'Preprocessor_Add' is a perfectly valid way to change pronouns, or for that matter, anything else. Have a look through "PROGRAM\Storyline\Ardent\DIALOGS" - I used 'Preprocessor_Add' a lot. There's also 'Preprocessor_AddQuestData' for inserting things into questbooks.
should I make a thread maybe or is it alright to discuss it here?
A new thread would be a good idea. This thread is really supposed to be about the current installer and updates. ;)

Good evening, lads. As always, I'm late to the party, but I have my grain of sand to add. It has been a while since my last session ('cause college and all that fun stuff), but I played as a castaway and covered many of the things you were discussing previously.

On the topic of trading, it's true that at first it's really hard to make a profit, sometimes you need (real life) luck; a colony importing certain good might have unprofitable prices because of X variable (a storm, for example). Past that barrier, in my experience trading is profitable, maybe not A LOT, but once you save some capital you more leverage. Have in mind that I had to borrow some money and trade with a dinghy at first, so it's not impossible, but maybe the "spread" between exporting and importing prices could be overhauled a little.

On the topic of smuggling, I have found it to be extremely profitable. Of course, it depends on the colony and the good how much you'll get, but it's better than regular trading. About patrols, if you bribe the guard you shouldn't have problems on land (most of the time), and I'm talking even with low luck. You might get unlucky on sea, but unless you are using a slow ship you can easily outrun the patrol (and you won't lose relationship with the nation if you restrain from firing at them). I tried opium only once, it didn't seem worth the while, and you can get caught easily, but only tried with small amounts, maybe with a bigger batch there's more profit?

On the topic of "guards everywhere", I had this issue when I asked a crewmember to follow me. Since I had a pathetic dinghy, there was actually nobody following me, but it activates a feature; now there will be more soldier/thieves(?) patrols in the cities. How do you fix it? Well, for starters get a better ship, then ask your crew again to follow you, once at the shore/port, tell them to go back. Voila! You'll still eventually find random soldier patrols through the jungle, whom ain't no senator's sons.

And that's it. I have done some privateering with a heavy brig, eventually I was going to try piracy but haven't got the time yet.

Edit: By the way, I haven't found a new thread if there was one, feel free to move my post.

Will Captain Slazar from Dead Man Tell No Tells be put in with his beloved silent mary?
If someone steps in and does it, then yes.
Big "if" though.

On the topic of "guards everywhere", I had this issue when I asked a crewmember to follow me. Since I had a pathetic dinghy, there was actually nobody following me, but it activates a feature; now there will be more soldier/thieves(?) patrols in the cities. How do you fix it? Well, for starters get a better ship, then ask your crew again to follow you, once at the shore/port, tell them to go back. Voila! You'll still eventually find random soldier patrols through the jungle, whom ain't no senator's sons.
Is that still the case?
I once tried to add some code that should disable that feature of all your shore crew gets killed.
Maybe that doesn't work then. :(

Is that still the case?
I once tried to add some code that should disable that feature of all your shore crew gets killed.

It was a very particular case, I tried it with the dinghy, which has like 4 crewmen (or so). Technically nobody died since nobody followed me :(, but I could test it again now that I have a proper ship (I don't know when though).

Texturing: you will need the following:
  • A picture-editing program capable of working with TARGA (.tga) files. Photoshop and the freeware GIMP certainly do.
  • TX Convertor to convert the game's .tga.tx files to .tga, and vice versa
  • Hex Editor
If you want to retexture a ship or character model, you'll probably start with an existing one, create your own texture, then copy the original model and hex-edit the copy to use your new texture.

Stories: play an existing storyline. Then look at the code and try to follow it, see how it makes things happen. "Hornblower" is a relatively linear storyline with few player choices or plot branches, so it's fairly easy to follow. Try changing or adding things and see what that does. Then try writing your own quest...

You might get unlucky on sea, but unless you are using a slow ship you can easily outrun the patrol (and you won't lose relationship with the nation if you restrain from firing at them).

I've noticed the one time I deliberately showed up at the worst time (to unlock a perk I could only get by murdering a patrol) that if you outrun the patrol it will follow you like a terminator. Every time you moor on an island, the ships will respawn until they're killed. I solved it by sailing to a fort that was hostile to France; I didn't have to kill the patrol ships the fort did it for me.

I've noticed the one time I deliberately showed up at the worst time (to unlock a perk I could only get by murdering a patrol) that if you outrun the patrol it will follow you like a terminator. Every time you moor on an island, the ships will respawn until they're killed. I solved it by sailing to a fort that was hostile to France; I didn't have to kill the patrol ships the fort did it for me.
That should not be happening: Fixed - Coastguard Ships Remain After Escape

And from PROGRAM\smuggling.c:
Code:
void SetCoastalGuardPursuit()
{
    ref Pchar = GetMainCharacter();
    if(DEBUG_SMUGGLING>2) trace("SMUGGLING move coastguard to the sea");
    Group_SetTaskAttack("Coastal_Guards", PLAYER_GROUP, true);
    Group_LockTask("Coastal_Guards");
    Group_SetPursuitGroup("Coastal_Guards", PLAYER_GROUP);
    Group_SetAddress("Coastal_Guards", Islands[GetCharacterCurrentIsland(Pchar)].id, "", "");
    // PB: Ensure they're deleted after escaping -->
    Pchar.quest.Rand_ContrabandInterruptionAtSeaEnded.win_condition.l1 = "MapEnter";
    Pchar.quest.Rand_ContrabandInterruptionAtSeaEnded.win_condition = "Rand_ContrabandInterruptionAtSeaEnded";
    // PB: Ensure they're deleted after escaping <--
}

void StopCoastalGuardPursuit()
{
    ref Pchar, rCap1, rCap2, rCap3;
    Pchar = GetMainCharacter();
    rCap1 = CharacterFromID("Coastal_Captain01");
    rCap2 = CharacterFromID("Coastal_Captain02");
    rCap3 = CharacterFromID("Coastal_Captain03");

group_DeleteGroup("Coastal_Guards");
    ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(CharacterFromID("Coastal_Captain01"), "None", "", "");
    ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(CharacterFromID("Coastal_Captain02"), "None", "", "");
    ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(CharacterFromID("Coastal_Captain03"), "None", "", "");
}

Random thoughts on the game:

I started out being a completely peaceful and legal merchantman. After some time I noticed that all the colonies I was visiting were destitute and were never able to get going. Places like the Buccaneer Camp literally had nothing at all so I couldn't trade with them. Then I visited some British colonies and they were all rich! This got me thinking and I started raiding British shipping.

Ayup. Soon the other colonies started reviving and even the Buccaneer camp had goods so I could trade with them. It seems the British were strangling the other colonies and my raids evened things out. So now I make it a point to hit the Brits every few months. I don't remember this happening before.

That may be random chance.
As far as I'm aware, the game economy isn't quite that clever....

That has been my observation in 12 years game time.

Another random thought. I change ships like a woman changes clothes. So I decided to have a fleet of Postillionen 6th rates. I did that and fully upgraded them including the Pirate upgrade.

Now the stock ship has 12 pound cannons tops but the upgrades let it use heavier cannons. Ok fine, but one ship has 18 pounders, one has 24 pounders, and one has 32 pounders. What's up with that? A tier 5 6th rate frigate carrying 32 pound long guns? :8q

Upgrades do have a random element to them.
But that does sound a bit over the top. :shock

Texturing: you will need the following:
  • A picture-editing program capable of working with TARGA (.tga) files. Photoshop and the freeware GIMP certainly do.
  • TX Convertor to convert the game's .tga.tx files to .tga, and vice versa
  • Hex Editor

Hello all, oh, i mean:ahoy:pirates , :rumgone?

Just had alook at the texture tool's, but the link for the Hex editor is "broken". Well, i at least get a broken zip. cant execute or open/unzip.:shrug

No problem finding this in the net, have downloaded this one: Hex-Editor MX - Download - CHIP :bow
Just for lazy users:wp, you can find enough in your area.

Haven't actually used the linked HEX Editor myself in ages.
There is a HEX Editor plugin for Notepad++, which is far more convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back