• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Beta 1

A couple of questions.

Is there any difference between the light and full beta version? Because I dont want to install the light version if it hasnt got all the new updates, and I dont want to wait for the full version if I dont need to.

Second when installing the beta light version, does the 14.10 alpha need to be patched before installing the beta, or does it not make a difference?

Thanks for making such a great mod guys :D.

Whether you install Light or Full doesn't matter that much; the features are the same.
Full is a big installer that doesn't require any of the other editions to work,
while the Light one excludes all files that were already in Build 14 Alpha 10.
You don't need to patch Alpha 10 to Alpha 10.1; just Alpha 10 will do.

I do recommend installing the full one if you can,
because it's a cleaner install and leaves less unneeded files.
But both versions should work.

Full one is still uploading and it's a pain in the ***.
No idea when it'll be done either, because my ETA got all screwed up
when I had to resume upload after my computer decided to go on standby halfway through. :modding

Well I made a clean install, and did everything according to the instalation instructions, and its working fine.
But...

As I did some of the early bartolomeu quests earlier today, I know for a fact that the following is a new bug in the beta version, (the quests I did earlier today were the 14.10alpha with the patch).

Upon entering and talking to Murin?, the guy in the house next to the port gates, (with whom you make the first trade/smuggling transaction with, I am only met with this dialogue, "......", when I speak to him.
I thought that perhaps I had used to much time, or that something had gotten bugged in the process, (in fact there had been a bug, the log had been stuck at "been out for 1 days", when I travelled, altough my rations were still beeing eaten/drunk). Anyway I reloaded and then it was fine again, but still the "....." dialogue.

I figured I perhaps had to find the beach before talking to him, seeing as I played realism mode, and since you get teleported to the beach when speaking to him, as well as ones ship. so I did that, and tried mooring both at the beach and in the port, but still the ......

Quite annoying, but its beta, so I guess playing the beta makes me a beta tester in the way, in which stuff like this come up.

So basically the bug is that the guy wont talk to me, even though he should be able to, and that the bartolomeu quest line therefore is stuck at an early stage.

I get extreme lag if I chose to have either of the renderers/shaders on.
Maybe it is compatibility? As I can run the game Oblivion with huge texture mods no framerate drops at all.

I am about to test it without either renderers on.. Lucky I kept a backup of the original game at b13 eh?

My PC is:
Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 2.4ghz
Patriot viper extreme RAM 2 gigs - 1333mhz
High-end Asus motherboard
Zotac AMP! Edition 9800 GTX+
750 watt OCZ power supply.

Odieman, please check how much sandal you have in your cargo hold.
Should be 160, but if it's less, Luc Merin won't talk to you.

EDIT: Seems that the required 160 sandal doesn't fit in the cargo hold anymore.
That's not good. Bug Tracker time! :modding
Snow White Sorrow, did you decrease the cargo carrying capacity of the "Barque3_50" with WBT?
If so, we might need to increase it again or decrease the amount of cargo required for the quest.

Drominus, you really DON'T want to install SwiftShader with your computer.
That is software rendering and makes your game real slow.
It's only for computers that otherwise couldn't run the game at all,
mainly those with Intel Onboard GFX cards.
Apparently I swapped the descriptions though and I am in no position to fix it anymore. :facepalm
Installing without renderers certainly can't hurt and you can always get ENB from our ModDB page seperately.

Odieman, please open PROGRAM\Storyline\Bartolomeu\dialogs\Luc Merin_dialog.c with Notepad.
Find:
Code:
if(GetSquadronGoods(pchar,GOOD_SANDAL)>=160)
Change it to a lower value, say, 100:
Code:
if(GetSquadronGoods(pchar,GOOD_SANDAL)>=100)
That should allow you to continue the story.

Please let us know any other errors you might find, it's much appreciated! :woot

Odieman, please open PROGRAM\Storyline\Bartolomeu\dialogs\Luc Merin_dialog.c with Notepad.
Find:
Code:
if(GetSquadronGoods(pchar,GOOD_SANDAL)>=160)
Change it to a lower value, say, 100:
Code:
if(GetSquadronGoods(pchar,GOOD_SANDAL)>=100)
That should allow you to continue the story.

Please let us know any other errors you might find, it's much appreciated! :woot

:gday

From the Bartolomeu Walkthrough on the wiki - are the other quanties going to cause problems :shrug

Minimum Quantities:-

1st job Luc Merlin wants 160 Sandal minimum

Eugene Martin wants 160 Silk minimum

2nd job Elias Bartels wants 200 Linen minimum

Eugene Martin wants 600 Ale minimum

3rd job Jean Maginot wants 300 Cinnamon minimum

Eugene Martin wants 170 Tobacco minimum

:mm

They might indeed cause trouble too.
Please post this in the Bug Tracker issue I made.
It'll need to be looked at for sure. :yes

Pieter I have done exactly what you said and it worked perfectly! Smooth framerates and no lag :onya
Thank you very much!

I must say that I have played Build 13 for many months and it was very stable, brilliant job! I cannot wait until Build 14 is fully stable.
I could not wait any longer to test out Build 14 though because the upgrades intrigued me.

-----

A few things that I have noticed (sorry if I am being picky, I am just pointing them out in case you get time to fix or alter them)

Strafing left and right clips through walls, people and terrain, and if you are on a ledge you will glide through the air.

Some trees seem to have spawned underground in the middle of paths in forest areas, you can see a few of their massive leaves poking out of the ground,
I initially thought they were large ferns until I noticed they have the same leaves as the trees.

The sidestep thing was in Build 13 too. The original game didn't have it, so we added it.
We tried to add collision detection, but failed. It's up to the user to make normal use of it.

The trees you mention are the BuildingSet ones, I think.
They were added to give some locations more of a jungley feel.
I think Build 13 also has this.

Both issues are famous now, but it's either those mods with those issues or not have them at all.
Personally I prefer it with. :shrug

Build 14 Alpha 10 has been found very playable.
However, since Beta 1 contains quite a lot of changes, most notably WBT and ship folder renames,
it could have some unforeseen issues that we have yet to find and fix.
Example would be the Bartolomeu storyline cargo issue.

We have no idea when the final Build 14 might be done, but we just continue,
trying to make the game better and hopefully eventually we'll get there.
And in the meantime, there's still a lot of fun to be had with our WIP editions. :yes

Please note as well, we have a forum FAQ for the Build mod with a commonly asked Q&A with the sidestep being #1

Ok thanks alot Pieter, saw your reply yesterday, and was gonna say that I only got 121 sandal in the first place, gonna try what you said ;).

I downloaded the file myself and it checks out. I think we're good! :woot

Um Legend of Jack Sparrow?? You mean Hoist the Colours (the name got changed like 5 months ago ;))

Well Im doing that storyline and considering I don't know Russian that would be a no, and nothing will be translated into any other language until we finish editing the mod (otherwise it takes to much work to do)

Oh and excellent that it didnt get corrupted :cheeky

VERY excellent indeed. The ModDB mirror for the Full download is available now too.
Soo all older files have been removed from the ModDB and this site's Download section,
so no more confusion possible. Can probably remove the Light version soon too.

By the time of this posting Pieter would have flown out to meet his great oceanic vessel; we need to form a committee (led by guys like Captain Maggee who can handle compilation of fixes & updates) to manage the issues and gather up various fixes for our Build Beta "service pack".

There wasn't enough time to properly do a internal test of Build Beta before Pieter has to leave for RL's new horizons so we'll have to fill up from there. I believe the possibility of having a one-shot full install (pity we can't open-source the game engine itself and redistribute legally) is worth the Beta release and hope you feel the same way; Pieter does need your stewardship in your absence as do the thousands of unknown players out there.

I will be around to answer questions people have about the build for sure, I will also release updates if they are needed (like I might have to for the Hornblower quest, and if the upgrade system gets fixed). But hopefully people give us a lot of feedback on the BETA and tell us what can be improved and what isnt working so I can take a look at fixing them or send a PM to a modder who probably can fix them :yes

As long as the core group (minus a massive part being Pieter) remain active we will be fine :onya
And it does give us a really good time/opportunity where we can have a large group do the testing of the BETA :yes

Back