• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Cannot Confirm Broken Shopkeeper: Grenadas slow descent into Madness

Apricorn

Landlubber
or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Fine Walloon Sword

November 24th
I come to Grenada with trade or smuggling in mind, whichever is more profitable. The city is rich, the storekeeper has 26 million gold and a surprisingly large quantity of Fine Walloon Swords, a whole 86 of them. This city is going to make us rich!

February 19th
A short visit to Grenada to resupply. The shopkeeper has a glint in his eyes, he feverishly tells me off the fortunes that his 212 Fine Walloon Swords are going to make him. He already made it to 67 million gold, so I wish him the best of luck.

April 2nd
I reach Sao Jorge without further problems despite the slight damage my ship has taken from battle. Upon entering the harbour, I witness an avalanche of 110000 Fine Walloon Swords sliding into the ocean. The shopkeeper reassures me that all is fine, recent aquisitions have made him a fortune of 811 million gold.

April 6th
As is tradition, I stay the duration of the repairs in the shipyard, greatly enjoying the shipwrights hospitality. After a few days the repairs are finished and I remember that I still need to sell some loot before returning to sea, so i bid the shipyard goodbye and open the door to Sao Jorge. Or at least try to.
It appears to be blocked by Fine Walloon Swords.
149560 Fine Walloon Swords, stretching out in a mountain from the shipyard to the store. The shopkeeper, clearly distraught and close to a nervous breakdown, sits atop the mountain and croaks with a forced smile: "Buy my swords!".

The Walloon financial bubble apparently burst overnight, leaving shopkeeper with -542 million gold in debts. As he is now unable to buy any loot off my ship, I set sail for another harbour.

TL;DR:
Grenadas economy is spiralling out of control. Shopkeeper and Gunsmith keep raising their money until it overflows into negativity. Strange amounts of walloon swords appear.
November 24th 1751 was the oldest save file i still had, so i am not sure how or when this chain of events even started. The 4 savefiles described above are in the attached .7z archive.
The save appears to still be playable (with the exception of using Grenada's stores), but I am worried about what other values will overflow in the long run?

Build 14 as of May 19 2021

Is this a known bug? Can my save be saved?

Attachments

• shopkeep.jpg
    shopkeep.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 167
  • bugged_store.7z
    923.2 KB · Views: 150
I'm not sure what caused the insane increases in the number of Walloon swords. One thing I did notice is that you haven't been making much effort to progress either the main story or a couple of sidequests. In any case, I loaded up the 2nd April savegame, for no reason other than that if savegames are copied into the "SAVE" folder rather than saved from within the game, they're shown in alphabetic order rather than time order, and "April" comes before "February" and "November". Then I went to Bridgetown, from there hiked overland to Speightstown to do the main story quest with Rabel Yverneau's frigate, and made my way to Port Royale. I also completed the "Church Help" sidequest. When I then returned to Sao Jorge, sword stocks were back to sensible levels. So here's a savegame from 9th May.

Out of interest, are you using a game based on the original 2003 "Pirates of the Caribbean", or based on Maelstrom? Have you installed any other mods besides Build 14 plus the 19th May update?

Something else odd that I noticed was that when I quit PoTC, then started it again, it was pointing at the wrong storyline section when I wanted to load a savegame. That was the result of a bug with storyline registration which was fixed in October 2020, so it shouldn't be happening in a game with the May 2021 updates. Unless, that is, you started "Tales of a Sea Hawk" back in 2020 and have kept the same game going since then.

Attachments

• debugged_store.zip
    1 MB · Views: 149
Back