• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Boring sound bug, no solution

Benouyt

HoO Team Member
Provisional
Hello,

i just reinstalled AoP2 then, long time ago i didn't play it, and what a bad surprise when i go for sailing the sound cut in and out, when i move camera it become not listenable. Also i don't hear any sea sound, wave or anything.

I have the Fmodex.dll but it skip it on loading and it wrote "interface function not found"

EDIT: that was cause Fmodex.dll was in modules folder, but the problem still here. I noticed that i got that problem only when i use GOF historical eras mod 2

I like this game so much but i dont know how fix it. My soundcar is a soundblaster x fi and i'm on windows 7, tried the useMM = 0 fix too. :/

Thanks by advance for your help

Last edited:
I have a SoundBlaster Z and the sounds work fine. The waves splash and the rigging creaks. :shrug

Huhu, yes, i tried with my onboard soundcard too and got same problem. After some test the bug is due to the GOF historical era's mod, so i don't have any idea how fix it, and from where it can come. :/

There is something with the crosshair, when the crosshair disapear, sound and lantern light disapear

EDIT: im installing Build 14 for POTC, and just see in installation instruction to add the game in exception list of ffdshow. I dont know if i should do same for CoaS maybe its the cause of the problem, i'll try after redownload and reinstall the mod -.-

Last edited:
Sound works pretty good in my game. If you try different fmodex files you might get better results...especially if you have an older computer.

MK

Thanks for your answers, i tried different fmodex.dll but still get the same problem. About the save and quit then restart stuff you told on the other topic, sound are okay before i do that, except they disapear while crosshair disapear, then when i load again, wind and sound like that disapear, just crackling sound is here

I'm gonna try exclusion on ffdshow

I have never had the problems you mention. What kind of system are you using?

My computer is a good computer using windows 7 64 and my sound system is a 5.1, i tried in stereo but the problem is the same

Here some news, now i got splash sound and things like that, water sound seems to be fine then but still sound still disapear when crosshair disapear (light of ships disapear too x) )

Do you have idea on wich fmodex.dll use ?

Wait. Sounds, crosshair, and ship lights all disappear? This is a bigger problem than just sounds. How much ram do you have?

8 gig of ram, but when i mean crosshair disapear is just you know when moving cam on first person on ship,you got crosshair on left, front, right, and rear of the ship, well the sound and ships lantern disapear when crosshair isn't visible. I noticed that little wind sound still listenable when all other sound disapear

8 gig of ram, but when i mean crosshair disapear is just you know when moving cam on first person on ship,you got crosshair on left, front, right, and rear of the ship, well the sound and ships lantern disapear when crosshair isn't visible. I noticed that little wind sound still listenable when all other sound disapear

Mega-Necro post - but to anyone else having these problems - specifically with ERAS mods.

I know exactly what Benouyt means having experienced it myself. After a little tinkering the best work around I've found so far - it's not perfect, but a welcome improvement - is this:

- Open up "sound_alias.ini" (RESOURCE\INI\aliases\sound_alias.ini)
- find the line [ship_water_lugger]
- change the minDistance and max Distance both to 0.0

Do the same for [ship_water_corvette] , [ship_water_frigate] , [ship_water_lineship] and [ship_water_manowar] in the subsequents lines of code if you are sailing something bigger than a class 6-7 ship and still suffering from this sound problem.

Ships_init.c (Program\Ships\Ships_init.c) will tell you what "refship.Soundtype" your current ship is using.

This partial fix isnt perfect - sound still flickers from left to right, but it is at least constant with no horrible cut-out in the reticule dead-zones ;)

I'm not sure if this will work, but it certainly fixes the audio white noise bug:

So. I recently installed my gamersgate copy of AoP2:COAS and found the sound to be unbearable, it had alot of 'white-noise' and stuttering going on during the music. I didn't try turning it off as I googled a fix and found it fast. Now, I saw a mod that fixed audio issues, but I don't want to fiddle with a bunch of mods when I could just get one of the big ones.

Anyway, I found this on the gamespot forums, and figured I'd share it here in case it hasn't already been posted. (A quick search pulled up nothing.)

Back