• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Books & Essays for Life (Non-Fiction)

Cerez

Baroness of the High Seas
Storm Modder
Essays:

On societal structure and social relations:

'An Ideal of Service to Our Fellow Man' by Albert Einstein

On the human ego and genuine self-development:

'Circle With No Circumference' (and 'It's Just a Name') from the 'Tao of Jeet Kune Do' by Bruce Lee

Books:

On the inherent connection between humankind and nature (the natural balance):

'The Philosophy of Freedom' a.k.a. 'Intuitive Thinking as a Spiritual Path' by Rudolf Steiner

On body, mind, and health (and chronic illness):
'When the Body Says No' by Gabor Maté

On the nature of self-control and addiction:

'In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts' by Gabor Maté

On the history of autism research, and Autistic history (including the start of the neurodiversity movement):
'NeuroTribes' by Steve Silberman

Attachments

• Intuitive Thinking As a Spiritual Path - Rudolf Steiner.pdf
    820.5 KB · Views: 76
  • An Ideal of Service to Our Fellow Man - Albert Einstein.pdf
    24.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Circle With No Circumference - Bruce Lee.pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 270
  • When the Body Says No - Gabor Mate.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
  • NeuroTribes - Steve Silberman.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Pieter, can we please pin this to the top of this forum? It's for you guys, life wisdom (and knowledge/insight to turn to for help in living and finding the balance) when I am gone. Thanks. :) (Love you guys. :oops:)

Thanks for that my friend. :oops::flower

Going to miss you when you are gone, still at least we met; and it is a pleasure.
Won't say it was, because this would imply that it isn't now, or in the future; "is" works much better.

Likewise, Teddy. :oops:

This is an easy dot-point overview and notes of the contents of Gabor Maté's 'When the Body Says No', shared by the author:

Attachments

• when-the-body-says-no.pdf
    212.9 KB · Views: 68
Pieter, can we please pin this to the top of this forum?
Done.
And thank you. :doff

Though I'm having a hard time knowing what to do with all the wisdom (and supposed wisdom) out there.
Feel like my personal development has come to quite a standstill lately.
Quite a bit of numbness these days instead.
Very annoying.

Hope one day it will pass...

Though I'm having a hard time knowing what to do with all the wisdom (and supposed wisdom) out there.
Feel like my personal development has come to quite a standstill lately.
Quite a bit of numbness these days instead.
Very annoying.

Hope one day it will pass...
It will. You just need to find the balance within yourself, the intuitive balance with nature. Distinguishing what's human fiction and what's rooted in reality (nature itself) will become a lot clearer then.

Worth noting that we are usually in this state -- confused about ourselves and our reality, feeling numb -- when we are being gaslighted by the people around us in our daily lives: given conflicting information that does not serve to address our needs and give us proper explanations, but rather to practically delude us, to delay/obstruct finding our place in the world.

Emotionally abusive people, most often with antisocial personality disorder, will often use this (gaslighting) as a tactic to control us, to invalidate our experiences/beliefs, to erode our self-confidence, and to effectively keep us in their grasp -- and it can be very hard to make sense of it, especially if you deep-down believe that all people are good by nature. I know this from personal experience.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want to objectively discuss it further, whether in a different topic here or in PM.

Last edited:
Worth noting that we are usually in this state -- confused about ourselves and our reality, feeling numb -- when we are being gaslighted by the people around us in our daily lives: given conflicting information that does not serve to address our needs and give us proper explanations, but rather to practically delude us, to delay/obstruct finding our place in the world.
I find it very difficult to believe I'm still being actively gaslighted these days.
Rather, there's not much of anything at all.
But I'm pretty sure gaslighting HAS happened.
And it had its effect.

Back