• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Boardings

Ralof45

Landlubber
So I kinda need help because in every boarding I do my crew gets cut down like butter and gets destroyed. I don't understand why. They have weapons in the chest, High morale, and medicine as well but whenever we board an enemy ship the enemy seems to have more HP than my crew does making boardings stupid hard. To win boardings, I find myself try-Harding an entire enemy crew because my own crew got killed. Even when I pound the enemy with grape and their crew is way smaller than mine they somehow find a way to kill my people.
Maybe there is some kind of mechanic that I haven't figured out yet but I would like some help in how not to have my crew killed in the first 10 seconds of boarding.

Sounds like you have all of the important factors taken care off. Are you sure the absolute crew members are higher for your ship?
You can also try adding armor into the ship chest if you haven't already.

I neither of those help you, send us a savegame so we can have a look into what might be going on.

I don't fully understand the weapons chest anyway. Let's say I put one Bosun's choice in there. Does this mean that my boarding crew now has a random chance of using a Bosun's choice and after a while the weapon disappears and must be replaced? Or does only exactly one crewman get a Bosun's choice and if that one dies, there's no more Bosun's choice in my chest?

Also, how exactly does the ammunition in the chest work? Do I ever have to refill it, which, regarding the limited amount I can carry on my person, seems like a cumbersome task? And how and why does my shore party sometimes get equipped with ammunition?

@BathtubPirate The way I understand it is your crew will each take (the best?) weapon they find in the chest. So if you only have one Bosun's choice, only one crewmember will have it. At the end of the battle they all return their stuff. If they die their stuff will be dropped and you have to pick it up yourself or lose it.

As for ammo, I never put in any, and don't have any problems. Maybe the gunner takes care of that?

It's only maincharacter and officers that actually use ammo. NPC:s can have some for looting reasons.
Crew are not officers I think.

Another factor is, what sort of ship are you trying to board? Enemy naval and pirate crews are much tougher than merchants.

What is your "Melee" skill? That may affect your crew's skill.

Having some officers who also have good "Melee" skill, all the combat perks, plus good weapons and armour, can also help.

Another factor is, what sort of ship are you trying to board? Enemy naval and pirate crews are much tougher than merchants.

What is your "Melee" skill? That may affect your crew's skills.

Having some officers who also have good "Melee" skills, all the combat perks, plus good weapons and armor, can also help.
I usually go for the merchant-type ships which I will admit are easier than actual navy ones but I still take a huge beating from them. I have a melee skill of 6 right now. I'm currently playing on sea dog difficulty so that might be it although I don't understand the difficulty levels quite well yet. I kinda assumed Sea dog was the normal difficulty.

Do you have any armour? Do you have officers, and if so, have you given them armour as well? I normally play on "Sea Dog" difficulty too, and can usually succeed in boarding merchants if I have "Melee" 6, and if both I and my officers are all equipped with battle cuirasses.

Otherwise, keep pounding the enemy ship with grapeshot. It may eventually surrender. Merchants are more likely to surrender than naval or pirate ships, though even those may surrender. You may still need to duel the enemy captain but at least you don't need to fight your way through several decks of crew first.

I wish we got rid of that need to equip weapons in the chests. The original game had it much simpler. It's really not needed and makes things more confusing for everyone.

I know TEHO has that, but it's a different kind of game.

I disagree with you, islamuelle. I find the extra features and challenges much more interesting than the stock game.

Back