• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Best place for updates?

con20or

Master Mariner
Hearts of Oak Donator
I hope it's ok to post this here - I don't see many other threads by non-team members. But where is the one-stop-shop for news or progress updates? Somewhere that will have all new image, videos or concept art before anywhere else?

Right now I alternate between

1. this forum
2. you tube
3. MOdDB
http://www.moddb.com/games/hearts-of-oak/videos
http://www.moddb.com/games/hearts-of-oak/images
4. Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/PiratesAhoyCommunity?ref=profile
5. Blind luck googling
http://haereticus.imgur.com/

And they all have things the other don't.

Thanks in advance - I can't be more excited about this game.

The forum is most often the place where new media is posted first, though it's certainly the least user-friendly method of keeping up to date. :wp
I'd say the best places for all-round news and media are ModDB and the CryDev project page, where you don't have to dig around to find the latest content.

Technically that is what our Facebook and linked Twitter profiles are for.
However, that only works if people keep those up-to-date. Which isn't working out at all. :modding

Technically that is what our Facebook and linked Twitter profiles are for.
However, that only works if people keep those up-to-date. Which isn't working out at all. :modding
Exactly, Pieter, the world is starting to take notice. I have suggested in the past that a forum is fine for the devs who know what they are looking for. The public don't want to read through every message in every thread. You need a web page. On a web page you can post only news and information that is what people need.

I have a web page for my own game design, and a forum link on that. Discussion comes through a forum. Information goes out on a web page.

OK, thanks guys. Im registered on a few forums and generally spread the good news whenever I find a new update.

Wishing you all the best,

Conor,

Exactly, Pieter, the world is starting to take notice. I have suggested in the past that a forum is fine for the devs who know what they are looking for. The public don't want to read through every message in every thread. You need a web page. On a web page you can post only news and information that is what people need.

I have a web page for my own game design, and a forum link on that. Discussion comes through a forum. Information goes out on a web page.
We could, potentially, add a new section to this site which is dedicated to Hearts of Oak and laid out in web page style instead of a forum structure.
It would be more work to keep up-to-date, but probably manageable in the long run.

What do others think about this?

We could, potentially, add a new section to this site which is dedicated to Hearts of Oak and laid out in web page style instead of a forum structure.
It would be more work to keep up-to-date, but probably manageable in the long run.

What do others think about this?
Sounds like a winner to me. That goes along with the 'weekly' update idea we had in another thread where all changes for the week get concatenated into one main post so followers don't have to dig through 5 forums for news.

I'll see if I can set up a test page to show what it could look like, then.

Isn't that going to be even MORE to keep up-to-date though? Why can't somebody assist me with the Facebook/Twitter pages?
Those would be quite ideal for news feeds and then we wouldn't need anything new.

Well I've made a test page visible to admins and coordinators. Click the "Hearts of Oak" tab at the top of the site to view it.

At the moment, it's kind of set up to act as a 'more professional' version of the project summaries in our other profiles (ModDB/CryDev).
The important thing is for it to provide key information and links to updates and other media. What I'd envision is having a new, dedicated news thread for weekly updates, and a link to it on the new Hearts of Oak page.

Obviously we've got the videos all in one place on YouTube, but images are always scattered all over the forum unless they're posted on ModDB/CryDev as well, so I reckon that's still a difficult one to solve if people want "all the latest images in one place".

As far as Facebook and Twitter are concerned... convincing key team members to use them is probably the issue. :shrug

Obviously we've got the videos all in one place on YouTube....
But technically on the "wrong" account. It only shows up on our own PiratesAhoy! one as long as I keep updating it.
Would still be nice if other people could assist with that. The login details are no secret for Modders, so many people could do it.

As far as Facebook and Twitter are concerned... convincing key team members to use them is probably the issue. :shrug
I must admit I fail to see why that is so difficult. But apparently it is.
Shame, because that DOES allow for the images to be posted all together as well.

I'm connected to the FB page, but I usually don't have anything to post there, and most of the interest seems to be in our mods. Maybe it's time for a HoO page? I could work on that.

For a few of my sites I run an automatic RSS feed updater that does auto updates to my twitter accounts. When something is posted in a forum that has an RSS feed, it updates the twitter feed automatically within 30 minutes.

Hmm. If we could at least get an RSS feed working for the PA! News forum, that would be a good one to link with Twitter.

If we can set up something like that, I'd be all for it.

As it stands, I do have both our Facebook and YouTube profiles set up to automatically post to Twitter.
So nobody has to update the Twitter feed, really. As long as those other two ones are kept up-to-date.

I'm connected to the FB page, but I usually don't have anything to post there, and most of the interest seems to be in our mods. Maybe it's time for a HoO page? I could work on that.
A HoO page on Facebook, you mean? I quite like just having the one general PiratesAhoy! page.
I know there are a PotC: NH and AoP 2: GoF page on Facebook, but those aren't mine and I have not bothered keeping those up-to-date.
Whenever I post some of our HoO news on Facebook, it is generally well-received. The more epic the news, the better received it is.
You don't necessarily have to post your own news. Just anything on the forum that is worth posting can be copied there too.
So that includes the developer videos, screenshots and anything else that might seem relevant.

Does Twitterfeed require there to be a working RSS feed already in place? Although the forum seems to support it, I'm not sure it's set up properly.

A HoO page on Facebook, you mean? I quite like just having the one general PiratesAhoy! page.
I know there are a PotC: NH and AoP 2: GoF page on Facebook, but those aren't mine and I have not bothered keeping those up-to-date.
Whenever I post some of our HoO news on Facebook, it is generally well-received.

This is a standalone game,which should have its own page. Not another mod. If we want to maximize publicity, we should make it a separate, permanent presence that has links to the PA page, but is completely independent.

One central place tends to work much better for exposure; the more different stuff gets posted, the more people Like it and the more people get to see the stuff.
Splitting things up will only be counter-productive. It is hard enough to keep ONE thing up-to-date. Let alone several.
And I doubt we'll be having much Mod-news anymore, so it'll be mostly Hearts of Oak News anyway.

Not to mention we have over 500 Likes on the PiratesAhoy! Facebook page, so that is over 500 people who get to see the updates posted there.
However, it took us a LONG time to achieve that. If we'd make another page, we'd have to start "gathering Likes" all over again.

Also, the PiratesAhoy! pages are NOT meant for modding work only; they go for any and all pirate news, ESPECIALLY HoO game development, of course!
The way it works is fairly simple: Keep posting stuff regularly and more people might see it.
More people see it, more people Like it. And more people Liking it attracts more people again.

That is why I have been requesting over and over again for people to help me posting stuff there.
If we show we are being active there, then the wheel of getting more exposure starts spinning properly.
But that ONLY works if we keep at it. Not if we post the occasional itty little bitty thingeys.
For example, when we posted about 2 HoO screenshots each day for about 2 weeks, popularity skyrocketed!

Just re-purposing this thread for a bit.

I've been in contact with CdreNerison on YouTube who asked about permission to repost our HoO trailer with Russian subtitles.
Of course I gave him that permission, with the request to point anyone interested towards us.
Please see his below reply:
To:piratesAhoyCommunity

Thank you! Mandatory post links.
In Russia, your game is very welcome. On our site we have opened a section on the game Heart of Oak containing information in Russian (http://rs.seadogs.ru/games/hearts-of-oak/about-game.php).
We wish you good luck in development! We will try to provide information support :)

P.S. I apologize for my English, I use a translator)
I thought people might like to know. :doff

Back