• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[Barbossa Quest] Is there any way to use the "magic compass"?

garganteon

Powder Monkey
so, im trying to do the barbossa quest under free play and i see the inventory has the "point-where-you-want-to-go" compass but i have found no way to use it.
is it supposed to be usable or?
also, why do i always spawn in a port in the night? it makes me autohostile to guards, any way to skip this?

also, in the char creation screen, it states i will begin with "Cursed pirate galleon" but when i start the game, the ship i have is "pirate fast galleon" it that supposed to happen like that too?

so, im trying to do the barbossa quest under free play and i see the inventory has the "point-where-you-want-to-go" compass but i have found no way to use it.
It "uses itself". As in: If you have it, Isla de Muerta exists and if you don't have it, then that island doesn't exist.
You don't need to do anything for that yourself; just having the item is enough.

also, why do i always spawn in a port in the night?
Because you're cursed and that immediately shows you what being cursed means.

it makes me autohostile to guards, any way to skip this?
Go straight to sea, then come back during daytime.

It "uses itself". As in: If you have it, Isla de Muerta exists and if you don't have it, then that island doesn't exist.
You don't need to do anything for that yourself; just having the item is enough.

Because you're cursed and that immediately shows you what being cursed means.

Go straight to sea, then come back during daytime.

oh okay, my thoought train was that it should point to lost coins, since that is what i most desire, not the island.

also, regarding the ship thing? also, when looking at the "paint" section in shipyard, it states something along the lines of "the ship how it looks when it has been freed from the curse

oh okay, my thoought train was that it should point to lost coins, since that is what i most desire, not the island.
That's not a bad idea, actually. Though I cannot think of any simple ways of implementing that.

For simplicity's sake, the "Aztec Compass" item works slightly different in the game than in the films: It simply allows access to Isla de Muerta.
This is actually one of the reasons it looks somewhat different from the one in the film.

As it is, when you start as Barbossa, there are some coins missing from the chest. But they cannot be found in specific locations.
Such coins can be randomly encountered during the game, so you quite literally have to be lucky to be able to lift the curse in the end.

You are probably the very first person to play this particular challenge, so I'll be quite interested to know how possible (or not) it turns out to be.
For the time being, we implemented this feature in a very simplistic way, but if there ends up being demand, eventually we may build on it to become more fancy.

also, in the char creation screen, it states i will begin with "Cursed pirate galleon" but when i start the game, the ship i have is "pirate fast galleon" it that supposed to happen like that too?
That is indeed intentional. The real "Cursed Pirate Galleon" is specifically intended as "boss ship" at the end of the Standard Storyline.
It has a RIDICULOUS hull HP, which would not be give much of a challenge for players.
So it shows in the Select Storyline Interface to indicate that Barbossa is cursed, but is then swapped out afterwards.
If you really do want that one, Vanderdecken can sell her to you.

oh okay, i guess i was just being too literal with the movies.
it makes sense implementing wise that it has not been done, specially since the coin spawn is random

however what i just noticed (playing right now) is that sometimes the ship (pirate fast galleon) sometimes spawns the white fog from itself and sometimes it doesnt. any reason why this might be?
also, can the model of the ship be edited or smth? cos the "cursed" version doesnt look cursed at all

thank you

however what i just noticed (playing right now) is that sometimes the ship (pirate fast galleon) sometimes spawns the white fog from itself and sometimes it doesnt. any reason why this might be?
The curse intensifies a bit over time. After a few days, the sails become torn. Another few days later, the fog starts too. Once that has happened though, the fog should always be there.
It does get thinner when you go to 1st person mode at sea, for performance reasons and also because otherwise you really can't see anything.

also, can the model of the ship be edited or smth? cos the "cursed" version doesnt look cursed at all
What would you like to edit? Textures are easily changed. Adding details with the TOOL is also technically possible.
Remodeling is not completely impossible, but at the moment basically not feasible because there is nobody around to do it.

In what way does she not look cursed though?
I remember @Legendary_Spider put quite a lot of effort into making the three texture versions of the Pearl all different from each other.

The curse intensifies a bit over time. After a few days, the sails become torn. Another few days later, the fog starts too. Once that has happened though, the fog should always be there.
It does get thinner when you go to 1st person mode at sea, for performance reasons and also because otherwise you really can't see anything.

What would you like to edit? Textures are easily changed. Adding details with the TOOL is also technically possible.
Remodeling is not completely impossible, but at the moment basically not feasible because there is nobody around to do it.

In what way does she not look cursed though?
I remember @Legendary_Spider put quite a lot of effort into making the three texture versions of the Pearl all different from each other.

okay so the fog was a time thingy, fine then

id like to make my ship somewhat cursed. i cant post Screenshots now but the ship defnitely looks like it hasnt been cursed at all. id just like to use another model maybe, the one with ridiculous hp -- ONLY THE MODEL-- not sure if that is possible

id just like to use another model maybe, the one with ridiculous hp -- ONLY THE MODEL-- not sure if that is possible
Certainly possible. Not sure if it is the best way to do it, but you can swap out the model and keep the same ship ID.
Can you upload your PROGRAM\Ships\ships_init.c file?

Certainly possible. Not sure if it is the best way to do it, but you can swap out the model and keep the same ship ID.
Can you upload your PROGRAM\Ships\ships_init.c file?

There it goes, i havent touched anything though
yeah, id like to do that, just swap the model

Attachments

• Ships_init.c
    768.8 KB · Views: 231
There it goes
Thanks! :cheers

i havent touched anything though
I'm at work, so didn't have access to any files at all. ;)

yeah, id like to do that, just swap the model
Replace your own file with the one attached, then press F11 to Reinitialize.
Then assuming you want to continue with your existing savegame, use the Console to re-give your ship to yourself.
See here point #4 for how to do that: Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks | PiratesAhoy!

The code you need is already in there; it is whatever line has GiveShip2Character(pchar,pchar.ship.type at the beginning.
Use "switch(1)" at the top, remove the /* and */ around that section and press F21.
I think that should do the trick.

Attachments

• Ships_init.c
    768.8 KB · Views: 235
Thanks! :cheers

I'm at work, so didn't have access to any files at all. ;)

Replace your own file with the one attached, then press F11 to Reinitialize.
Then assuming you want to continue with your existing savegame, use the Console to re-give your ship to yourself.
See here point #4 for how to do that: Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks | PiratesAhoy!

The code you need is already in there; it is whatever line has GiveShip2Character(pchar,pchar.ship.type at the beginning.
Use "switch(1)" at the top, remove the /* and */ around that section and press F21.
I think that should do the trick.

aight! tyvm

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I do have a question about these cursed coins. I'm on the "free play" route and have accumulated three Aztec coins (three shy of the number in my actual physical collection). I'm curious as to whether or not it makes a difference to have them in my possession. They've all been acquired through less than legal means if that matters. A blood curse with more blood spilt. All that effort should account for something. :dance

@Mad Jack Wolfe, it makes a difference as long as the curse is actually in effect.
I think on Realistic Game Mode in Free Play, it isn't.
But if you get the Aztec Compass, you can go to Isla de Muerta, take at least one coin out of the chest there and that will get you started.

I followed your advice and set about exploring Isla de Muerta thoroughly. Not only did I find the chest of Aztec coins, I managed to acquire a rather remarkable sword as well. I'll have to go back one day, hopefully with all coins I took.

All in all, it's a nice place to die but I wouldn't want to live there. :p

I followed your advice and set about exploring Isla de Muerta thoroughly. Not only did I find the chest of Aztec coins, I managed to acquire a rather remarkable sword as well.
You managed to get the sword from Blackbeard then? Without looking up any spoilers?
If so, consider me impressed!

Did you find something interesting from all three anchorages?
There is one other item you can get from the island that you didn't mention yet....

I'll have to go back one day, hopefully with all coins I took.
Going down the Barbossa path, are you? Excellent! You're totally meant to be able to do that. :onya

You can sell the coins for profit, of course (good luck getting them back!).
But you can also give them to officers and put them in all your ships' weapons lockers.
That'll extend the curse to your officers, boarding crew and companions as well.

All in all, it's a nice place to die but I wouldn't want to live there. :p
Sounds about right! :rofl

You managed to get the sword from Blackbeard then? Without looking up any spoilers?
If so, consider me impressed!
The solution came to me only as my master-at-arms was about to die, but he kept Blackbeard busy while I equipped the proper weapon. I should have thought of it sooner, but c'est la guerre. :wp

Did you find something interesting from all three anchorages?
There is one other item you can get from the island that you didn't mention yet....

As a matter of fact, I did find out about that artefact, but lacked the funds to procure it. I'm saving up what used to be other people's gold to make that purchase. :rpirate

As a matter of fact, I did find out about that artefact, but lacked the funds to procure it. I'm saving up what used to be other people's gold to make that purchase. :rpirate
Sell the cursed coins, buy the artifact, end up stuck with an unbreakable curse! :rofl

I just looked up the dialog @TechnicJelle and me wrote for that again and was massively entertained by our combined sense of humour.
We were also quite relatively evil in adding that feature, so you've got something to look forward to. :razz

Back