• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Balancing needed: Maltese crypt, 1000 player HP and a couple of hundred thousand gold per hour

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
The maltese crypt, aside from the bugs I posted about separately, is in desperate need of balancing. In its current state, the maltese crypt is basically a cheat code for the player, while missing its potential to be rewarding in the right ways. It also is not dangerous, much safer than fighting random bandits, which fails to live up to its potential.

Here are the problems, broken down in terms of relative seriousness. I also made a saved game and attached specifically exploiting certain things to demonstrate the extreme potential, but as I will discuss, the balancing problems are present even in normal play.

CRITICAL BALANCING ISSUES

Critical Problem 1) Attached saved game, my player character has over 1000 max hp, saved the test after quickly wasting 3 months at sea to prove it is permanent. It is incredibly easy to achieve this. The player just needs the toughness perk and a bunch of bandages. In the very first room of the crypt when entering from spreightown dungeon, there is a mist.

The player just needs to walk into it, and then press forwards, backwards, forwards, backwards, in rapid pace to keep hitting the poison and getting the hp bonus. Meanwhile, use bandages to slow the health loss, that combined with toughness regeneration should make sure the poison very slowly hurts you, especially as your hp goes up. Very occasionally use an antidote. In about 10 minutes, and for a couple thousand gold in bandages, your character will have over 1000 max HP.

Now, this is 10 minutes of being exploitive, but even in normal play the permanent HP bonus is very unbalancing. In my normal game of just exploring the crypt, I only expored half and already had a bonus 56 HP boost just from randomly running into the mists while exploring. Without ever trying to go after them or use this.

Extensive exploring of the crypt even by a player with no specific intention to go after the mist can result if 50-100 HP max increase easily. This is a huge difference, and makes the player overpowered in other aspects of the game, even without purposely exploiting things. If the player instead goes after the mist, then several hundred to a thousand HP is possible.

Suggestion 1) I would say eliminating the HP bonus entirely would be reasonable and easy. There is little backstory presented to the mist, and the mechanic is not overly fun. Alternativelly, make the mist heal the player's current health (not increase max hp), but poisons them, so the player has the choice of effectivelly turning an antidote into a healing potion--which is close enough to current situation that all the dialogue from the monks would fit and not need to be edited. If the max hp bonus were retained, it should be capped at +10 HP from this source, but I think it is best eliminated. Especially since this is so easy compared to the apothecary in the same town, which actually is a fun and developed mechanic!

Critical Problem 2) The Maltese crypt is one of the least dangerous dungeons for a well prepared player, and even random bandits in the spreightown dungeon above are more dangerous. The reason is simple--the maltese knights don't have ranged weapons. If the player has professional fencer perk and a good sword, he can almost always succeed at blocking, and taking out even multiple maltese knights is fairly easy (and it is easy enough to avoid them and ambush them one by one, given their behavior, though there is little reason to bother). A secondary reason is they are all using the maltese sword that falls behind in power above level 10, making them less dangerous than bandits in melee damage as well. Add to that the terrain, the coriddors creating natural bottlenecks with only 1 or 2 getting access to you, and the whole dungeon is incredibly easy.

I think the creator tried to make them difficult by making an hp boost shortly after the undead monk rises, to make them tougher. Currently, there is the bug I mention where if you hit them right away you go quicker than their HP boost, and they die right away, but if that were fixed it would only prolong the easy fights and give you more XP.

The fundamental problem is they can't pierce blocks, and against a prepared player the AI needs ranged weapons to really pose a threat. Additional problems are they have limited sight radius so they don't gang up well, and the narrow hallways prevents them from doing so regardless.

My character has taken on 6-8 of them all bunched up in a group in a hallway a couple of times, with hardly a scratch on him. Even when 2 of them come from opposite ends in a room, one backstep and they are lined up and easy.

Without any real danger (to a character of lvl 10-12 or so with professional fencer), the whole dungeon just feels like it never lives up to its promise.

Also, of course the mazelike nature of it doesn't add much challange, because following the "always turn left" mathematics rule will always solve any maze and find an exit (unless you are in an interior wall, but in that case you just switch it once to the right and it works again). So you can never get lost, and there is no danger from that.

Suggestion 2) Maltese Knights gets some kind of ranged weapon, perhaps a throwing knife or an old style pistol from the early explorer's era. If not, at least give them better swords with a high piercing value, at least at some chance when player level increases, or give them automatically perks that help them pierce blocks better. Program them to be less blind and more responsive to noticing a player and grouping up.

Critical Problem 3) The maltese monks are way too good a source of gold. If you talk to one after death, and they roll the friendly undead guy (which is most of the time), they give you above 7,000+ gold everytime you ask about their story (sometimes it is above 10,000). 7,000 gold for killing one of these easy guys is way too much. Not to mention it makes killing a couple of monks worth more than finding the buried treasure chests! Which means exploring the dungeon is kind of pointless, and the treasure chests don't feel as epic and fun, because just kill three monks in a minute and you made far more. EDIT: Note that corpses in the crypt give much more gold than corpses in the abbey (they have slightly different dialogue tree optons, but seem to have drastically different gold rewards)

Fixing the bugs I posted in the other thread will actually make this much worse, as the biggest thing slowing this down right now is after awhile the monks bug out and you have to switch scenes to get them working again.

The creator seemed to recognize this problem, because he added a thief maltese monk to occasionally be spawned and steal all the player gold. However, this is easily avoided. First, there is a chest right outside the crypt in the spreightown dungeon, just exit and take a quick left, where the player can store his gold in 50k increments or so. The exploitive player will probably be exiting this regularly anyway, to reset the bugged monks. Second, and more importantly, a simple cobblestone to the head of the fleeing thief monk knocks him unconscious, and the player can then reclaim his gold by talking to him and stealing (rather than killing). A Thief knife might work too, but it is more convenient to walk around with a sword and cobble stones equiped. Sometimes the thief escapes, but it is very rare, and storing in the chest every once in awhile ensures not much will be lost.

I tested and timed myself, and a player wishing to exploit this will make about 200,000-300,000 gold per hour of playing, easy. That is with the bug slowing things down. This is far too much.

Even playing normally rather than farming them results in far too much gain. You will slay many monks in order to explore the dungeon, and upwards of 50 seems reasonable. Even with some bugging out you are looking at several hundred thousand in gold just from this source, because you will be changing scenes to fix the other glitches the corpses bugging out creates (like the corspes bugging out removing the HP boost from the undead monks mechanic, making the fights even easier), thus restoring the ability to get corpses.

Related point, but the rep bonus the monks give if you refuse their possessions is also unbalanced, and in particular renders the thief meaningless. It is just too easy to slaughter these monks, and getting a rep boost every monk goes too far.

I ended up starting mostly ignoring the knights after I made the first 250,000 easily even while focussing on exploration rather than hunting them, and I plan to donate it to the church so as to not unbalance my game. It really is way too much (it took me several hard and dangerous days of jungle hunting to save up the 150,000 my castaway currently has with loansharks in his ship buying fund, and to make and keep this kind of cash in an hour or so with no real risk just feels wrong)

Suggestion 3) Remove the monetary reward and the reputation boost from the options with the dead monk. Instead, they just give you their sword. Also keep the small random chance of them giving a minor item (I think this is already there, they seem to occasionally give me a minor jewel or cross or something). That is more than enough monatery reward from selling them. But it doesn't make sense they are carrying huge bags of gold anyway! ;)

If more rewards were desired, a little better stuff could be added to the treasure chests, keeping the focus where it belongs.

MODERATE BALANCING PROBLEMS

Problem 4) You can indefinitelly repeat digging for the treasure chests, even after finding the chest. In particular, this means infinite french noble swords and valuable minerals found on the way. The only price is occasionally using a poison cure potion, and occasionally breaking a shovel (so buy 30 in town and you are set).

The dangers of digging are too few and weak--the undead pirate's knife breaks if you block it for a bit, and then sometimes he even runs away and gets chased by the monks. The grandmaster comes to check his treasure is laughably easy to kill. The 6 maltese exorcists are easy when they aren't set to be immortal (it is buggy, sometimes they are, sometimes not), and running away is simple enough.

And it kind of doesn't make sense you could infinitelly dig up french noble swords, gems, etc. Finding the chest should be the focus, and finding stuff along the way great, but the stuff along the way shouldn't be better than the chest and never ending.

Suggestion 4) Turn off the positive digging events after the chest has been found once. Maybe make the chests have a little better stuff to compensate and keep the focus there, so digging up the chest doesn't make the player go "ahhh, not that soon!". Or make it limited, so you can only dig up say 3 french noble swords in the whole dungeon ever. Same to limit the valuable minerals and such. Also maybe increase the strength of the exorcists, grandmaster, and native mummy.

Attachments

• Maltese 3 months later save.rar
    567.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Are these smokes that cause the HPbonus the ones which give the string:
The vapour makes you stronger but has a side effect...
they should also poison you right?

Levis,

Yep! Not sure why one-time poison was thought to balance a permanent hp bonus out, poison cure potions only costing a little over a hundred gold. ;) Though to truly exploit it to 1000hp, you just do the forward back forward back stacking method I described, and rely on bandages rather than potions.

I actually try to play in a very roleplaying way, but as a beta tester I look for exploits when I am testing. Still, even when I was playing normally without looking for exploits, the HP, excessive gold, lack of any danger from the underpowered monks, and digging balance problems I describe above were still present.

Last edited:
What was your player level when going in? Unless I'm very much mistaken, it is a pretty dangerous place at least in the early game, no?

Basically, the danger was intended to offset the rewards.
Plus those thieves and immortal guys to take away your money or your life with basically no chance to avoid them once triggered.

The vapour was always intended to give a permanent bonus.
Not sure how to put a cap on it since there is no record keeping on where a HP bonus originated.
Could be added, I suppose.
Alternatively, have them give the bonus only once in a while and not every time?

Hi Pieter,

The thief event doesn't work at all to restrain the player gaining gold. ;) As I explained in my post, you just have cobblestones equiped as your ranged weapon, and as soon as a thief appears you cobblestone him, then rob him to recover your gold. Even if that didn't work, the point I outlined about periodically storing your gold in the chest two steps outside the crypt defeats the thief. The only way to prevent this being 200,000-300,000 gold per hour is to stop giving so much from each dialogue, it is too easy to store gold.

The immortal guys are 0 threat. Dig up a skeleton and you just block his knife for a minute or two and it breaks. But it is actually good it does break, because otherwise you would just change scenes and he would be gone, less realistic. The other digging events are almost always mortal (only when it bugs out from the Corpse Bug have I seen 2 out of 6 of the exorcists become immortal). Anyway, running away and changing scenes is simple, they take several minutes to find the player. No threat there.

I was level 10 I believe, but level 6 or 7 would have worked fine too. The critical issue isn't level, it is having the defense perks (and best professional fencer). Once you get those perks, even at level 6 or 7 the crypt would be easy as can be, for the reasons I mentioned (maltese knights only having melee, no piercing ability, and no ability to gang up), because their chance to pierce your blocks is so miniscule that they will never hurt you.

Not sure why the max HP bonus is desired or good--seems like it only had the potential to unbalance the game. As I mentioned, there is HP boosting mist in the very first room of the dungeon, meaning you don't have to take any risk to get it, and it isn't some reward for braving the dungeon. It is just walk in, take two steps, boost max HP. Better to just remove it altogether, and make the mist heal current HP while poisoning, that would be balanced.

Let's just say the person who added the dungeon was VERY creative. ;)

There is probably a Maltese dialog.c file where you can reduce the money.

How come you can block permanently without damage?
Maybe the Monks' swords' piercing value should be notably improved?
I also once had the idea of rendering a block ineffective after, say, 2 seconds, but never got round to implementing that and eventually forgot.

What if the sword of an immortal character could never break?
Likewise, what if the thief is immortal and special weapons like the cobblestone would be ineffective against him?

Hi Pieter,

Haha, the crypt has all the marking of creative genius, including being totally unbalanced. ;)

Yes, I found the dialogue file, and if it were agreed to reduce the rewards I would be happy to do so and post the revised filed myself. :)

I agree on the swords. Two simple changes that would do a great deal:
A) increase the piercing level to 40 (currently low 20s), and give a bit more damage
B) remove the special code the creator put in place to keep the monks from seeing the player until he is very close, so they can actually gang up on the player a bit more

I don't think rendering blocks ineffective after a few seconds would change things--I just block, strike, block, strike, anyway. No need to sit in blocks.

Making immortal character swords not break would make things worse, actually. Then I would just run away and change scenes, which feels so cheap and unrealistic, yet is so easy. I much prefer breaking the sword, at least then I can roleplay. As long as immortal characters can't chase the player to a different scene, they are not going to be a threat.

But the immortal skeleton isn't the problem--he is actually very fun. Instead, there just needs to be something that turns off the digging rewards after a few times recieving them. Unlimited french noble swords are not fun.

Making the thief immune to cobblestones wouldn't hurt the exploitive player, it would only hurt the honest player. The exploitive character farming gold will just be storing it in a chest every couple of minutes, because there are chests all over the place.

The thief is actually fine being vulnerable to cobblestones--it is a fun solution, and one I enjoyed figuring out--as long as the player wasn't able to get so much gold in the first place. If we make the gold gains reasonable, we don't need an unbeatable thief mechanic to hold it back (and random losses that a smart player can't beat aren't inherently fun anyway).

As far as I'm concerned, you're very welcome to tweak the rewards and sword stats.
And by searching for "Maltese" in the game code, you might be able to track down some of the other relevant code. :onya

@Pieter Boelen Well, it took me longer than the week originally planned, but finally a chance to return to this one. ;)

Maltese swords already buffed in item rebalances. Attached is the next step in the balancing (takes care of the critical issues, going to turn to bughunting for the crypt next, this might be enough, will see).

Changes (all with comments within file)

- No more max hp boost from mist (for the reasons outlined above, there is no scenario where a max hp boost this easy is not unbalancing, and it renders the apothecary interesting quest for hp boost completely irrelevant) (might add something here later, just first taking care of the critical issues)
- No more gold from maltese knights, they already give jewels and minerals, and are worth huge amounts from that
- No more rep boost for letting them go into the afterlife, too easy to farm them and didn't make sense (who is exactly spreading word of your deeds and helping your rep here?)
- Luck XP boost moved from option of taking gold to option of letting them go into afterlife (the first didn't need it, the second it fits better and now needs a bonus)
- Left in place: Gold for thief retained, so that you can be rewarded if you stop him, and full boosts for clearing an area retained, since that is actually something of a challenge

The crypt remains insanely rewarding, but slightly more sane now. ;)

Attachments

• Maltese balancing fixes.rar
    6.9 KB · Views: 99
Yes, I am thinking about what to have it do. I had it giving a very small amount of fencing XP ("makes you stronger"), but it kept returning an error. I was going to turn to bug hunting first, and then circle back and try to get that to work, as well as consider further balancing work.

EDIT: the difficulty in getting anything appropriate is that the mist can be entered 10 times per antidote potion and a couple of bandages, and those supplies only cost 300 gold or so. Very hard to figure out an appropriate bonus for 30 gold. It would be different if entering the mist was a limited amount thing, or if the mist was located deep in the dungeon (rather than being right in the very first room).

Anyway, I'll think about it some more as I take a look at the bugs in the crypt (and if anyone has good ideas for something balanced, please share them), just wanted to get the HP bonus out in the first round, especially now that upstairs we have the apothecary sending you on a quest hunting for multiple rare objects and charging 100,000 for +10 max hp, and downstairs we have +30 hp for about 300 gold, repeatable as many times as the player likes. ;)

Last edited:
@Levis Indeed, you are right! That will be perfect system to handle the mist!

Had no idea you were secretly working on an amazing new temporary buff/debuff system. The possibilities are really endless for quests and such. Maybe we can make the apothecary can sell temporary stat boosting treatments as well....what a wonderful new creation you have made! :)

@Levis Indeed, you are right! That will be perfect system to handle the mist!

Had no idea you were secretly working on an amazing new temporary buff/debuff system. The possibilities are really endless for quests and such. Maybe we can make the apothecary can sell temporary stat boosting treatments as well....what a wonderful new creation! :)
It's the reason I rewrote a lot of systems lately. I wanted this for a long time already and now finally it's getting there :D.

I imagine it should be possible to give the mist a time delay so that you can't repeatedly make use of it.

Or are you thinking of keeping it as is but have the effect wear off?
So that effectively you can only use that bonus while down there?

@Pieter Boelen I think it will be more fun with a different bonus. What I have in mind is, the mist becomes a mechanic that allows a too low level player to take on the maltese crypt earlier than they otherwise would be able to. That way, even if the crypt becomes a bit harder at lower level (maltese knoght swords are already a little better, putting random characters on a formula not dependent on player level if we do that later will also make the crypt harder), it remains open to the player who really wants to tackle it at lower level.

The price being that they will have to deal with the mist's negative effects if they want to tackle it lower level. Still thinking if poison is the right way to do it, there might be something better.

As for the positive, it would best be something that compensates for a lower level player's deficiencies. Maybe temporary addition of a good fencing skill, and the text changed to represent the mist "infusing your mind with memories of countless battles fought by maltese knights, the images of their blades and footwork dancing across your vision", and basically the mist becomes a temporary conduit to battle technique memories that fade over time.

Then the player can conquor the dungeon even at lower level, if he wishes to pay the price, enhancing player choice, and the mist becomes an interesting mechanic that allows that. The player who wants the sword from the cave of oxbay can also use the mist, then follow the path that connects the crypt to the cave. Since spreighttown is a common starting location, the mist becomes a way that players can have a more combat focussed early career, if they want it, by frequent use of the mist to borrow the memories of the maltese knights.

Anyway, still thinking, if anyone has any feedback on that let me know. :)

@Levis new system has really opened up a great deal of possibilities! :)

@Tingyun just let me know what kind of buffs you need and I could easily add them to the system. Like I said I'm looking into a way of making it work for only a certain amount of time also (playtime). So you could for example have a HPbonus which only lasts 1 minute.

@Levis that is wonderful of you, thanks! :)

Either a + to melee skill, perhaps non repeatable (though that could be handled with a time delay in the mist if needed),
Or (even better, but maybe not possible) it adds the perk "swordplay professional" and the sword defense perks for a limited time. Not sure if that would work.
Or maybe a direct large plus to blocking and piercing chance. Any of those would work.

The maltese crypt is really conquerable or not based almost alone on the ability of the player to block attacks of the enemy, so it would then provide a means of new players tackling it early if they made that choice.

Back