• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bahama's Island For Sale!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Occasionally I run across stories like this one, a private island for sale, usually it is somewhere remote and sometimes not even close to tropical. This one however is the real thing! The island of Big Darby in the Caribbean is for sale, if you have a spare $40 million lying around doing nothing.

The island is part of the Darby Islands chain consisting of Little Darby, Big Darby, Goat Cay, Guana Cay, and Bette Cay. They are located in the middle of the Exuma chain in the Bahamas approximately 286 miles southeast of Miami, Florida and 96 miles south of Nassau, Bahamas. The James Bond film Thunderball was filmed not far off on Staniel Cay, Exuma.

Big Darby island is proximately 550 acres, and not only comes with a spectacular view, it also comes with a bit of history attached. The main house was built in 1938 and is approximately 8000 square feet. It was built to resemble a small castle by Sir Sir Baxter Darby, an Englishman who was rumored to be a Nazi sympathizer.

tour_picture_5_997_20903.jpg

It is also rumored that he would signal Nazi subs to come in and refuel on the island during WW II. Whether there is any truth to this or not, I have have no idea, I was unable to find any confirmation anywhere online. But there are many heavy concrete foundations still in place on the island.

His property, Big Darby Island in the Exuma area of the Caribbean, originally was given (yep, free of charge!) by British royal King George to a knighted gentleman named Baxter Darby in the mid-30s, Davis said.
The eccentric Sir Baxter, an alleged Nazi sympathizer, built an 8,000-square-foot castle, then allowed German submarines prowling the Atlantic during World War II to refuel on his island. He was said to guide them with bonfires!

“There are still giant poured concrete moorings,” Davis said. “Nobody knows why they’re there but I believe it was for the submarines.”

The island was bought and sold several times until Davis bought it. Careful, he says: A deserted island isn’t for everyone, even the extremely rich!

Rebuilding the old castle (below) won’t be easy, although it is stuffed with mahogany floors and original furniture.
There’s no sewage system, running water or electricity.

And the unforgiving sun and salt air wreak havoc on buildings and equipment.
You can read the full story HERE! And you can learn more about the Darby Islands by visiting their official web site HERE!

Attachments

• pa-logo.png
    pa-logo.png
    11 KB · Views: 69
  • pa-logo.png
    pa-logo.png
    11 KB · Views: 71
  • pa-logo.gif
    pa-logo.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 69
Back