• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Assassin's Creed 3

Looks like what AOTD would have been

From what I know of what that game was going to be, this might not be far from the truth. Armada of the Damned had been worked on for several months before Disney Axed it. The scenes we have seen depicted so far do indeed bear a striking resemblance to the concept art that was released. I'm going to do some more digging and find out exactly what studio was behind AC3's naval combat system.

Post Captain, I agree mate, MK is usually always right on target with his analysis of pretty much anything, and he sure nailed this one. I will probably give the game a look simply because at the moment, even with it's complete inaccuracy and arcade style, it appears to be the best offering on the horizon.
dunno.gif

PROS:
- It is a sea battle.
- It is set within a pseudo-historical backdrop/situation.
- There are ships.
- The graphics look great. It is pretty but that's about all its got going for it.

CONS:
- Not enough research on the ships (they are wrong - prows especially, but hulls, rigging and deck layout as well - they did their research off of Bugs Bunny cartoon ships) no research on correct battle routines.
- The men are armed after the battle has started (after general quarters) - where's their powder? Borders would already be armed well before grappling.
- The sailing ship has the feel of a speedboat, as if they filmed the effects of the sea movement from a medium sized powerboat and transferred it into the game. That's not what a sailing vessel feels like - even in a 20+ knot blow.
- It appears canalized. How much control of the ship does one actually have?
- Balls leaving cannon look like laser guns. Has the look of a Star Wars battle - Devs would probably take that as a compliment.
- Wooden ships didn't blow up in fiery explosions after a single (very inaccurately portrayed pinpoint precision) broadside, except on rare occasions (powder magazine)
- Navigating that close distance to the rocks, they would be proceeding with reduced sail, forward lookouts, and a sounding lead.
- Hollywood style freeze-frame and hokey wolftime leaping into the air with super-hero fart power over the gunwales during boarding.

I agree with you in every point, however as for the naval part of this game. I find the lack of reloading and the corresponding animations very disturbing, but this is a general problem and does not apply only to this game.

As for the land part. 100% premounted bayonets on muskets nearly the lack of proper edged weapons (weapons with sheathing) and the fact that there are also no reloading animations at all proofs again that developers do not learn.

For me this game is worth 10$ at maximum. A game, which will bring some fun moment but nothing more or less.

I completely agree. Looking over that list again I guess I really date myself with the "hokey wolftime" comment. Does anybody here even remember who Hokey Wolf is? LOL

MK

Looking at the storyline though on some other sites, the storyline of AC3 appears to resemble the Age of Empires 3 Warchief expansion campaign. A half Iroquois, half Scottish man born in the colonies in the 18th century who fights in the 7 Years War and for the Americans against the British and Hessians during the Revolution while trying to protect a family secret and fulfill personal revenge. The only part that actually confuses me is how a Native American assassin using guerrilla tactics against the redcoats in New England becomes captain of an American frigate in the Caribbean as well. Guess we'll have to wait and find out.

Back