• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Assassin's Creed 3

Nice find mate! I missed this a couple of dasy ago, mainly because I wasn't looking for anything associated with Assassins's Creed, it is not really my type of game. That however may be about to change, I have just found out that Assassins Creed III will feature Naval combat during the American Revolutionary War, and that of course is right up our alley! I was about to post this when I saw your thread Sandslash!

I haven't found out many details yet, but as you can see from the trailer, there are many tall ships in the background. From what I have been able to find out, you will be able to command a vessel and fight at sea! I will do some digging and post more when I find out anything new.

**EDIT**
Tracked down some more info from the press release, AC3 will be available on PlayStation®3, Xbox 360 and PC :
Product Description
The American Colonies, 1775. A brave young warrior fights to save his homeland. But what begins as a struggle over territory turns into an extraordinary journey that will transform him into a Master Assassin—and will forever change the destiny of a nation.
You are Connor, warrior son of a Native American mother and British father. As the colonies draw closer to revolution, you will dedicate your life to the freedom of your clan –becoming the spark that ignites the revolution into full blaze. Your crusade will take you through blood-soaked battlefields to crowded city streets, to perilous wilderness and beyond. You will not only witness history—you will make it.
Set against the backdrop of one of the bloodiest Revolutions in world history, prepare to be drawn back into the centuries old battle between the Assassin’s Order and their sworn enemy, the Templars. Unleash lethal new skills and experience a stunningly realistic world created by Anvil Next, a new engine that redefines gaming.
Welcome to an entirely new chapter in the Assassin’s Creed saga.
Key Features
  • A NEW MASTER ASSASSIN— As Connor, a Native American Assassin, use your predatory instincts to stalk your enemies and eviscerate them with a new arsenal of weapons including tomahawks, rope darts, firearms, and more.
  • IGNITE THE FIRES OF REVOLUTION— From Lexington to Bunker Hill, become America’s first highly trained Master Assassin. Bear witness to the real conspiracy behind the American Revolution between the Assassin’s Order and the Templar menace alongside historical icons including George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, and many more.
  • EXPLORE A BRAVE NEW WORLD— Pursue your enemies through massive environments – from bustling city streets to blood-soaked battlefields and into the far reaches of the American frontier.
  • STUNNING NEW ENGINE— Introducing Anvil Next, our new engine designed for Assassin’s Creed III. Revolutionary physics, animations, and weather systems deliver unprecedented realism, while a new combat system delivers more intense, gut-wrenching battles than ever before.
  • INTENSE MULTIPLAYER— The acclaimed multiplayer system returns with a host of refinements, including all-new characters, maps and modes designed to deliver the most compelling Assassins multiplayer experience yet.
Product Specifications:
Publisher: Ubisoft
Developer (Lead): Ubisoft Montreal (lead), Ubisoft Annecy, Ubisoft Bucharest, Ubisoft Singapore, Ubisoft Quebec, Ubisoft Kiev
Ship Date: October 31, 2012

hmm hopefully it will include sandbox shipfights^^
I didn't like the previous ones with their straight edge story line :p

I indeed hadn't seen that yet, but it looks a LOT more interesting to me than the previous games. Sea battles in the Caribbean, eh?
Those cliffs don't really look like the Caribbean, but I did detect the change between controlling ship and control character was pretty seamless.
Always a good thing. Even though the captain is being the helmsman, which is rather unrealistic. But oh well...

I don't know how much of the naval combat would be centered in the Caribbean, I would think most of it would likely take place in the Central and North Atlantic, but there are opportunities for the Caribbean as well.

Yeah the captain at the helm was the one thing about the videos that bothered me, but I guess they figured that was the best way to get the player to feel in control. I am just ecstatic I didn't once see a voodoo doll!

North America is near the Caribbean, right?

Personally I don't mind mythical voodo-type influenced like in the PotC movies, as long as it's not over-the-top (like films 2-4) and it can be avoided if you don't feel like it.
Weird stuff is weirder when the rest of the game world is realistic! :razz

PROS:
- It is a sea battle.
- It is set within a pseudo-historical backdrop/situation.
- There are ships.
- The graphics look great. It is pretty but that's about all its got going for it.

CONS:
- Not enough research on the ships (they are wrong - prows especially, but hulls, rigging and deck layout as well - they did their research off of Bugs Bunny cartoon ships) no research on correct battle routines.
- The men are armed after the battle has started (after general quarters) - where's their powder? Borders would already be armed well before grappling.
- The sailing ship has the feel of a speedboat, as if they filmed the effects of the sea movement from a medium sized powerboat and transferred it into the game. That's not what a sailing vessel feels like - even in a 20+ knot blow.
- It appears canalized. How much control of the ship does one actually have?
- Balls leaving cannon look like laser guns. Has the look of a Star Wars battle - Devs would probably take that as a compliment.
- Wooden ships didn't blow up in fiery explosions after a single (very inaccurately portrayed pinpoint precision) broadside, except on rare occasions (powder magazine)
- Navigating that close distance to the rocks, they would be proceeding with reduced sail, forward lookouts, and a sounding lead.
- Hollywood style freeze-frame and hokey wolftime leaping into the air with super-hero fart power over the gunwales during boarding.

Very interesting graphics, but very arcade style action. Can it be modded to reflect reality?

That wouldn't be much use if the ship models aren't very accurate, as Modern Knight points out.
Could perhaps hyjack location or character models though, which seem more interesting.

From what I can tell, it's got a good basis for a pirate game, but a completely different, much more arcadey execution.
It'd be absolutely if that is something that could be modded after release to make for a proper seafaring adventure game.
Unfortunately:
Very interesting graphics, but very arcade style action. Can it be modded to reflect reality?
From what I've been able to research, prior games in this series have been virtually unmoddable, except for changing some textures here or there.

The comments on that YouTube video are quite interesting. There's a lot of reference to Pirates of the Caribbean and more than a few people who are put off by the arcadey-ness.
Seems we're not quite the only people to see it that way.

Also from the comments:
You want to know the truth, you can free-roam the Caribbean and the East Coast at any time you wish. If you have any doubts about development time, know that AC3 will be three years of work when released. Look at the new engine, tree parkour, brand new combat and weapons, new economy, hunting, varying seasons and weather, new brotherhood system, procedural animation, and surprises that they are not willing to share. All have been redone and all are ace so far.
Not sure if that is fact, but it sounds interesting.

Edit: One thing that IS fact is that this video opens, saying its set in the Caribbean and NOT Northern America.
From other sources, we know that Northern America is in the game too. So how much IS in the game?

Assassin's Creed 3 E3 2012 Interview - Naval Battles Interview
They're not saying much of anything, but it's more than nothing.

There's some comments on the subject here too:

hopefully this one adds some gameplay into sea map as well!!! I'd really love to have some good ol' on foot assassination plus sea assassination now with lots of contents. It could find lots of attractiveness in multiplayer,too!

I'd really hate to see if this is just some kind of "one time" mission instead of "free world sailing with upgrades"...if ya know wat i mean

Unfortunately Meitnerium, I know exactly what you mean, and the more I learn about this game that is more than likely a possibility. I get the feeling that similar to Risen 2 the naval aspect was just an after thought, although this is much more deeply implemented, I really do hope that I am wrong though!

One of those videos says that the naval aspect has been in development for 1 or 1.5 years by an Asian partner company.
Seems a bit too much effort to be wasted on just one sidequest or something.

PROS:
- It is a sea battle.
- It is set within a pseudo-historical backdrop/situation.
- There are ships.
- The graphics look great. It is pretty but that's about all its got going for it.

CONS:
- Not enough research on the ships (they are wrong - prows especially, but hulls, rigging and deck layout as well - they did their research off of Bugs Bunny cartoon ships) no research on correct battle routines.
- The men are armed after the battle has started (after general quarters) - where's their powder? Borders would already be armed well before grappling.
- The sailing ship has the feel of a speedboat, as if they filmed the effects of the sea movement from a medium sized powerboat and transferred it into the game. That's not what a sailing vessel feels like - even in a 20+ knot blow.
- It appears canalized. How much control of the ship does one actually have?
- Balls leaving cannon look like laser guns. Has the look of a Star Wars battle - Devs would probably take that as a compliment.
- Wooden ships didn't blow up in fiery explosions after a single (very inaccurately portrayed pinpoint precision) broadside, except on rare occasions (powder magazine)
- Navigating that close distance to the rocks, they would be proceeding with reduced sail, forward lookouts, and a sounding lead.
- Hollywood style freeze-frame and hokey wolftime leaping into the air with super-hero fart power over the gunwales during boarding.

Exactly what I was thinking. I also want to point out that the entire series has been characterized by poor historic research. (I'm not including the fictional aspects in that observation. I liked the first game's storyline.) Their mistakes have been in areas that could be very easily researched, such as period armor, or combat. (which, consequentially, prevented me from purchasing the second game.) There are innumerable styles of period combat and armor documented in history that match or exceed the game's combat and armor in awesomeness, for lack of a better term. A ten minute trip to Wikipedia or Google images could have put them on the right course, but they obviously decided it wasn't worth the time. There's also the issue of the American Privateer (?) captaining a third rate ship of the line, which, as we all know, is absurd. Overall, when the game is released, the developers will have just spread even more Pirates of the Caribbean-esque cliches and misconceptions. I certainly won't consider playing the game.

Back