• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Armada of the Damned Preview

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
[imgleft]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9308/homepagepirateslogo.png[/imgleft]Over at TheTechJournal.com, they have a fantastic preview of Pirates of the Caribbean : Armada of the Damned! Ever since this game was announced last year, I have been scouring the internet trying to track down any info I could find and I have come up with absolutely nothing. This preview however changes that considerably!

“We were very clear that we didn’t want to be associated with being a movie game,” says game director Alex Peters. So developers Propaganda games went about creating a new hero, Captain James Sterling. They then devised a massive open world, containing loads of familiar locations from the films and introduced a bounty of action RPG elements.

What they wanted to capture most was the the swashbuckling heroes constantly getting into scrapes and somehow surviving by a cat’s whisker even when it seemed impossible. Propaganda also wanted to keep the humour and the supernatural elements that make the universe so unique.

You can read the full preview HERE!

But wait, that's not all I have for this news post! A couple of months ago I emailed Disney trying to set up an email interview with Propaganda's development team. I have since received a reply and in a couple of weeks, we should have our own exclusive interview with a spokesperson from Propaganda's development team! The above preview answers a few questions I had, but it also poses several more! So what I need from you are some questions to ask Propaganda! I have a few of my own I want to ask but they are pretty much standard questions, so I need all the input from the rest of you that I can get! Here are a few of the questions I plan on asking :

1. Will the game be mod-able?
2. What game engine is Armada of the Damned going to use?
3. How will boarding and capturing a ship be handled?
4. Will Armada of the Damned have a dynamic economy based on trade?

Now I am sure the rest of you can come up with much better questions than those, so please fill this thread up with questions and in a couple of weeks I will put them all together and send them off for a reply! There are several things in the above preview I was not expecting, and a couple of things I wish they had avoided all together, but I am still very much looking forward to this game!

It sounds, going by the preview, like there's only going to be two or three cities to visit. Their so-called massive game world sounds like it might be kinda empty, even with the movie locations. xD:

What I'd like to know is: Could we get a relative number on the cities and other locations in the game?

Good question mate, they do make it sound like it will be a huge game world in the preview. It would be awesome if they had places like Madagascar and Singapore, but I seriously doubt it.

I was secretly hoping for something worldwide in scope, akin to what Pirate Simulator was supposed to be. :yes Probably not, though. xD:

Some other questions:

-Ship classes - what are they, and how many in each of them?
-Does your character age throughout the game, a la Pirates!?
-There's giant, ship-swallowing whirlpools, right?
-Can you command a squadron of ships, and if so, how many?
-How's about some minimum and recommended requirements, guv?

and, last but not least:

-Can you make prisoners or unruly crew members walk the plank? :woot

Hi guys,

for all of you who speak German, here's a nice preview to armada of the damned;

http://www.eurogamer.de/articles/pirates-of-the-caribbean-armada-of-the-damned-vorschau?page=1

It contains some intresting new informations. - Its seems that players can only control one ship, named nemesis, which can be upgraded.

greetings
Lucky

Thanks for the link Lucky, there is some rather interesting information there. I don't speak German so I had to use Google Translate.

From what I was able to gather, the ship handling is going to be nowhere near realistic, and the ship to ship combat and the one on one combat will also not be very realistic, magic attacks ...very disappointing! I can understand having an element of the supernatural to add a bit of mystery, but from what I have read so far, this game will be swimming in it! Again, very disappointing. Most disappointing of all ...mutant crab people?!?! Lets just throw reality out the window completely shall we! :rolleyes:

This is shaping up to be nothing but a typical console movie tie in, I should have expected nothing less from Disney. Although with Propaganda involved, I was sure hoping for a bit more. I'll still reserve final judgment until I see some actual game footage and get a reply to the questions I send off next week, but this game isn't looking very promising at all.

Anybody have any more questions?? :wp

Bad news mates, I received an email from Disney, they are not doing interviews at this time. Or perhaps I should say at least not with us! I guess it really doesn't matter, judging by the response I got for questions, nobody but Stallion(Thanks anyway mate!) was really all that interested.

Trust Disney to pull something like that. xD: By the sounds of it though, it's a mix of a Pirates! ripoff and a game that should never see the light of day. :cheeky

Back