• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

(Ardent storyline) Governor's son does not appear

fjx

Promotion
Storm Modder
I have a bug in "Kidnap" quest, when I'm allowed to see governor's son (by showing the ring to the servant), he is simply not there (it was around 9 am I think). I tried playing as Charles Ardent earlier and the daughter appeared with no problem, can somebody help with this? I know this storyline is not finished yet, but I think this quest should be working by now as it is on wiki. BTW, brilliant storyline so far, it became my second favourite after Bartolomeu storyline.

This is a WIP storyline being worked on by @Grey Roger.
He's on holiday for a while, but I'd expect to see him back some time soon.

You have a compile.log file generated while playing through the not working section?

Here, sorry for double post. I forgot how to use PiratesAhoy forum already.:oops:

Attachments

• compile.log
    265.4 KB · Views: 306
This seems to be the last quest-related thing to have happened:
Quest name two_dogs_rejoins FOUND in QuestComplete .

"congratulated_governor" was executed, so you should be ready for the Kidnapping.
But "kidnap_breakin" was not executed, so apparently some requirements for that quest to continue haven't yet been met.

Well, being unable to get into the residence room (through teleport after talking), I just went to do other quests, but that can't be the cause because it happened before I went out. Nevermind don't waste your time on that, it's unfinished either way.

Last edited:
These are the conditions you need to meet:
Code:
       Pchar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l1 = "Time";         // To break into the residence requires:
       Pchar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l1.time = DAY_TIME_NIGHT;     // night-time,
       PChar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l2 = "NPC_Death";       // both guards dead,
       PChar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l2.character = "Santiago_soldier_05";
       PChar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l3 = "NPC_Death";
       PChar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l3.character = "Santiago_soldier_06";
       Pchar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l4 = "item";         // you have a lockpick,
       PChar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l4.character = Pchar.id;
       Pchar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l4.item = "lockpick";
       Pchar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l5 = "locator";       // and you're standing at the door.
       Pchar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l5.location = "Santiago_town_01";
       Pchar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l5.locator_group = "reload";
       Pchar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l5.locator = "reload4";
       PChar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition = "kidnap_breakin";

Those are the conditions for the crudest version of the kidnap - kill the guards at night, force the door, then persuade the servant to take you to the bedroom. @fjx reports having used a ring to persuade the servant to take Ardent to the bedroom, which is a different route - you're now apparently trying to get into the bedroom legitimately with a letter from the would-be suitor. Case "second_CourtingLetter_delivered2" has been executed, which should both cancel "kidnap_breakin" and set up a dialog with Lucia / Edmundo de la Vega, but that dialog won't happen if Lucia / Edmundo isn't there. I will need to investigate to find out why Lucia does appear and Edmundo does not.

Case "two_dogs_rejoins" is the final part of a different quest entirely, which has you search the Inca temple for a piece of cloth and then return it to the Taino chief.

@fjx: I don't suppose you have "system.log" and possibly "error.log" from the attempt to see the governor's son? Otherwise I'll need to replay the game myself to find out what's happening. In any case, thanks for the feedback! :onya

I have the other logs, thanks for reply and concern.:)

Attachments

• error.log
    298 bytes · Views: 323
  • system.log
    27.6 KB · Views: 316
Nothing obvious in those. I'll need to try it myself, then. Have you a saved game from before you tried to deliver the second letter?

Here's a save right before talking to servant.

Attachments

• save.7z
    620.6 KB · Views: 266
Just a thought:
Pchar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l4 = "item"; // you have a lockpick,
PChar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l4.character = Pchar.id;
Pchar.quest.kidnap_breakin.win_condition.l4.item = "lockpick";
These items checks I have NEVER got to work as they should and avoid them as the plague.
Pieter will get high blood pressure if I reveal the alternative solution.

These items checks I have NEVER got to work as they should and avoid them as the plague.
I've used them for the Nation Relations Tutorial and also last weekend for the "Carrying Opium" functionality.
Seem to work fine as far as I can tell. What is your problem with it?

Pieter will get high blood pressure if I reveal the alternative solution.
:wp :rolleyes:

They just didn't work when I tried a lot of times so I don't use them.
Quest cases aren't checked continuously, but only if certain events are triggered, such as a location reload or walking onto a locator.
The QuestCheck() (spelling?) function can also be used to trigger it if necessary.

Could that possibly be the reason? It would depend on the specific example.
If you do still remember an example, I might be able to figure out why it wouldn't work for you.

If indeed it doesn't work reliably, I'd quite like to know.
And if it can be made to work, it could be quite a convenient feature. :doff

What problems have you been getting with them? "Woodes Rogers" seems to use a few, e.g.
Code:
    case "bmknife_check":
       Pchar.quest.bmknife_check1.win_condition.l1 = "item";
       Pchar.quest.bmknife_check1.win_condition.l1.character = Pchar.id;
       Pchar.quest.bmknife_check1.win_condition.l1.item = "BarmansKnife";
       Pchar.quest.bmknife_check1.win_condition = "bmknife_check1";
     break;

Anyway, item checks seem to have been working in "Ardent" - I tested the quick'n'dirty kidnap by using console to give myself a lockpick and some poisoned throwing knives. (A lot quicker than trying to find someone who will sell them to you. :D) Other item checks, without additional conditions, open the cell and prison doors when you have the relevant keys, and set up the links to Playa de Sierra Maestra when you have the Cuba map.

@fjx: Try putting this version of "quests_reaction.c" into "PROGRAM\Storyline\Ardent\quests", replacing the version currently there. I haven't had time to test the "Kidnap" quest in full but was able to use a console command to teleport myself to the bedroom right after starting a game and confirmed that Edmundo didn't appear; after modifying the quest file to the version included here and doing the same, Edmundo was where he was supposed to be. You'll need to start a new game as Edmundo / Lucia is only placed right at the start of the game.

Alternatively, try adding this to "PROGRAM\console.c":
Code:
ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(characterfromID("Edmundo de la Vega"), "Quest_Santiago_Bedroom", "goto", "goto5");
... then load your savegame from just before talking to the servant, press F12, and that should teleport Edmundo into place. Or, if you're unfamiliar with editing "console.c" then yours is probably the default version, in which case put this one into your "PROGRAM" folder replacing the existing one, then load the savegame and press F12.

Or wait a bit. Because one of the things I want to do soon is give Edmundo a new appearance. You may notice that at the moment he bears a striking family resemblance to his father - I'd used the character selection from Free Play to pick a young Spanish nobleman, and then when playing the game found that the governor uses the same model. (So does the store-keeper - what has the governor been up to? xD)

Attachments

• quests_reaction.c
    137.6 KB · Views: 286
  • console.c
    35.4 KB · Views: 284
Back